This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Upgrade to Vanilla 2

Comments

• edited October 2011
    Since there's such a short edit timeout, guess it's time to double post.
    I must admit, the whole edit timeout thing is kinda solving a problem that wasn't really there in the first place. Scott speaks of Cowardice, but I honestly rarely remember it ever even occurring, maybe once or twice, three times at the outside, and that's over a four year period.

So, I kinda feel it's - as I said - inventing a problem just to solve it, and inconveniencing people generally to solve a few rare and specific cases.

Not complaining, mind, but simply offering critique in an attempt to be constructive.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited October 2011
    ... >_> Fuckin'
    Right, took me literally 2 hours to figure out what was wrong. It needed more metadata.
    Finally! http://vanillaforums.org/addon/defaultwide-theme

Edit: Now that I know how to upload; if you want new colors, I can add that with only 0.5 effort.
    Post edited by Aria on
  • edited October 2011
    It seems like there are some issues with the quote plugin, some seemingly random quotes don't have the blue boarder and only have a first line indent. In the picture below Boe Joomer should be quoted.
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • It seems like there are some issues with the quote plugin, some seemingly random quotes don't have the blue boarder and only have a first line indent. In the picture below Boe Joomer should be quoted.
    If you people would have actually read the posts in this thread, we already discussed this issue. It's because Vanilla 2 doesn't handle names with spaces or any other weird characters in them.
  • Eh. I don't see what's wrong with V2. It pretty much retains the same functionality as the old one.

Growin pains, I guess.
  • This is an awesome update! I love the fact that you can post from any page in the thread, not just the last page.

Bug/feature non-complaints:

1. The list of pages by numbers is only at the bottom of each thread page, not at the top.

2. On the front page, the the "Most recent by" text is not a link to the most recent post in that thread. In Vanilla 1 I used that link all the time!

The combination of 1. and 2. means to get to the last post I have to click the link, scroll to the bottom of the page that shows up, and then click the last number. That's super annoying for me, but the way I read the forum while on a cruise ship (slow and expensive satellite internet) is quite an edge case.
  • This is an awesome update! I love the fact that you can post from any page in the thread, not just the last page.

Bug/feature non-complaints:

1. The list of pages by numbers is only at the bottom of each thread page, not at the top.

2. On the front page, the the "Most recent by" text is not a link to the most recent post in that thread. In Vanilla 1 I used that link all the time!

The combination of 1. and 2. means to get to the last post I have to click the link, scroll to the bottom of the page that shows up, and then click the last number. That's super annoying for me, but the way I read the forum while on a cruise ship (slow and expensive satellite internet) is quite an edge case.
    I never used that link, but I do have the same problem.
  • spaces or any other weird characters in them.
    Spaces are weird characters? And to think, I never knew. This changes EVERYTHING.
    I do know what you mean though, whitespace can sometimes be difficult to deal with, oh well. I hope someone codes up a good quote plugin soon. Maybe the guy who made the first one will come back to bat.
  • Oh hey, wide banner-like icons can look really cool. http://i.imgur.com/HlUh6.png
    Or maybe vertical banner like icons outside of the post area to the left.
  • spaces or any other weird characters in them.
    Spaces are weird characters? And to think, I never knew. This changes EVERYTHING.
    I do know what you mean though, whitespace can sometimes be difficult to deal with, oh well. I hope someone codes up a good quote plugin soon. Maybe the guy who made the first one will come back to bat.
    Not to be an asshole, but he said "OR".
  • edited October 2011
    If you people would have actually read the posts in this thread, we already discussed this issue. It's because Vanilla 2 doesn't handle names with spaces or any other weird characters in them.
    Is there a way to edit our user names so this problem no longer occurs, every time I try and go though the forum interface to edit it, I get the same problem as Gunther, a grayed out box and a error message.

Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • Not to be an asshole, but he said "OR".
    Not to be an asshole, but he said "OTHER."
  • There's no checkbox in the settings I can find to allow people to edit their usernames. If you people want to see what I see then download and setup a blank forum on your own computers in a virtual machine or something.
  • edited October 2011
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • edited October 2011
    There's no checkbox in the settings I can find to allow people to edit their usernames. If you people want to see what I see then download and setup a blank forum on your own computers in a virtual machine or something.
    That feature gets abused, anyway. Just tell people to whisper a mod if they really want their usernames changed.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Ok, I disabled the @ and the # as well as allowing the changing of usernames. I couldn't find anything else hidden in the config file worth changing.
  • I don't see the problem with @. In fact it can be useful.
  • I don't see the problem with @. In fact it can be useful.
    The problem with @ is that there is a bug when you do @somethingthat'snotausername.
  • edited October 2011
    Oh, I see. I thought it would just link to a void page.

Bronzdragon thinks the new design is too white. This is what it would look like with a background. Same color as the banner. .

imageWant this? Maybe with a different set of color?
    Post edited by Aria on
  • That feature gets abused, anyway. Just tell people to whisper a mod if they really want their usernames changed.
    Whisper, eh?

On an unrelated note, quoting someone automatically inserts 2 blank lines after it. I'm not sure what others find preferable, but I like my blockqoutes close the rest of my comment.
  • edited October 2011
    That feature gets abused, anyway. Just tell people to whisper a mod if they really want their usernames changed.
    Whisper, eh?
    PM, whatever.

On a related note, one cool thing about the new Inbox system is that you can create a private thread for multiple recipients. We can now talk behind Andrew's back with much more efficiency!
    Post edited by Sail on
  • On a related note, one cool thing about the new Inbox system is that you can create a private thread for multiple recipients. We can now talk behind Andrew's back with much more efficiency!
    Pshh. I talk shit to him to his face.

Well, to him in chat. =P

• edited October 2011
    So apparently usernames with spaces in them are no longer kosher.

EDIT: Also, the search feature is hella retarded now. For example a search for 'gun' produces no results, but 'guns' produces every thread that the word has ever been mentioned.

EDITEDIT: wow, I really hate the edit time out.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • On an unrelated note, quoting someone automatically inserts 2 blank lines after it. I'm not sure what others find preferable, but I like my blockqoutes close the rest of my comment.
    Vanilla 1 was similar. It put the cursor on a newline after the blockquote.

As for "spaces or any other weird characters", that shouldn't be a fucking problem because of fucking quotation marks. Solution, learn to fucking use the RELATIONSHIP ATTRIBUTE PROPERLY VANILLA 2 DEVS.
  • On an unrelated note, quoting someone automatically inserts 2 blank lines after it. I'm not sure what others find preferable, but I like my blockqoutes close the rest of my comment.
    Vanilla 1 was similar. It put the cursor on a newline after the blockquote.

As for "spaces or any other weird characters", that shouldn't be a fucking problem because of fucking quotation marks. Solution, learn to fucking use the RELATIONSHIP ATTRIBUTE PROPERLY VANILLA 2 DEVS.
    You really have no idea what you are talking about. It's not that they are unable to handle any of those characters. If you look at the code, they are intentionally disallowing them via regular expression validation.
  • This might be a dumb fuckin' question, but why do they do that?
  • This might be a dumb fuckin' question, but why do they do that?
    Ask them.

• With mobile viewing (at least on my iPhone) you can not zoom.
  • With mobile viewing (at least on my iPhone) you can not zoom.
    This is on purpose. Properly designed mobile sites never allow you to zoom in or out. The text should already be large enough to read; what do you need to zoom for anyway? Good mobile sites emulate apps. Can you zoom in your Facebook app? Twitter?
  • I wanted t
    With mobile viewing (at least on my iPhone) you can not zoom.
    This is on purpose. Properly designed mobile sites never allow you to zoom in or out. The text should already be large enough to read; what do you need to zoom for anyway? Good mobile sites emulate apps. Can you zoom in your Facebook app? Twitter?
    I want to be able to view pictures with out scrolling.