This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Upgrade to Vanilla 2

Comments

• Is this an April Fools joke? I think I remember you guys saying that the only way to actually trick people is to do it on non April Fools day.
  • Also, there is a quoting plugin. Your pyramids are secure.
    If this is true I accept the change no matter what other things the upgrade breaks. Long live the pyramids.
    If this is true I accept the change no matter what other things the upgrade breaks. Long live the pyramids.
    Long live the pyramids!
    Long live the pyramids!
    No, down with pyramids!
    Long live the pyramids!
    No, down with pyramids!
    Ziggurats FTW
  • As someone who uses his phone to post in the forums sometimes, I can't wait.
  • What's different about the vanilla 2s besides getting the security updates and real, non-white text spoiler tags?
  • Every user gets a comment wall on their profile for messages, and you get notifications if someone @ replies you. Also a mobile view. That's pretty much it aside from the layout changes.
  • Also a mobile view.
    Yes. That would be awesome, even though I haven't had too much of a problem with the forums using Safari.
  • Although I really like inline whispers, I guess I won't be too miffed about losing them. Also, mobile view for the win.
  • No one EVER inline whispers me. WTF :(
  • Although I really like inline whispers, I guess I won't be too miffed about losing them. Also, mobile view for the win.
    I don't know if the whispers are actually lost. I will investigate. We might just need patience. Not every feature will be revived immediately, but it will be serviceable. I will add more stuff later as the need arises, and I have time to do so.
  • No one EVER inline whispers me. WTF :(
    That's because we all inline whisper about you ;D
  • Lets just wipe it and start again.
    Nooooo, I search archives all the time. There's so much useful info on here.
  • Is there a better search function with the new upgrade? As in I want to search for a certain post by a certain user in a certain thread instead of all posts by a user? That would be nice.
    I was once on a forum that did this. After the wipe, about half the people never returned. Also it went from a Vanilla forum to some kind of Phpbb board, and the Mechanism Design lecture example held up completely. The entire tone of the forum changed, and I only stuck about for a few weeks.

Then I discovered this forum, and have been chatting here ever since.
    I thought about this. Here is the problem. This forum exists at forum.frontrowcrew.com. Even if we start fresh, I don't want to lose this data. I would have to turn this forum off and put it in archive mode (no new posts) and start a new blank forum elsewhere. Elsewhere means not forum.frontrowcrew.com. And because the forum runs PHP, but frontrowcrew.com runs django, it can't be at frontrowcrew.com/forum without me installing a load balancer or http proxy or other stuff I don't want to do. forum2.frontrowcrew.com is no good. The vanilla 1 to Vanilla 2 export/import is very good and gets us 99% of the way there, and it handles the redirects for the old URL patterns.
    Is there a better search function with the new upgrade? As in I want to search for a certain post by a certain user in a certain thread instead of all posts by a user? That would be nice.
    The current search functionality lets you do that. Read this document. http://lussumo.com/docs/doku.php?id=vanilla:users#advanced_searching
    I was once on a forum that did this. After the wipe, about half the people never returned. Also it went from a Vanilla forum to some kind of Phpbb board, and the Mechanism Design lecture example held up completely. The entire tone of the forum changed, and I only stuck about for a few weeks.
    I was looking at Vanilla 2 add-ons and there was one that added post counts that was extremely popular. You can trust we will never do that shit.

Also, if Vanilla 2 fails hard and is beyond repair, we can always roll it back! We'll just lose whatever posts we made on Vanilla 2 FOREVER.
  • FOREVER?

The fun will be halved :(
  • YouTube and Vimeo videos will work. Myspace videos and Flickr Videos will not work. I can try to rescue them later, but I don't know if it will be possible. Google videos will no longer embed, they will be transformed into links to the Google video site.
  • Myspace videos
    I really don't think anyone is going to notice.
  • edited October 2011
    Here is the code that is going to update all the comments. Does anyone want to review it?

https://gist.github.com/1318716

It does three things.

1) Change the video tags into simple links to the videos that Vanilla 2 turns into embeds on its own.
    2) Count how many videos of each type exist.
    3) Remove the width attribute from all img tags. Vanilla2 automatically tames gigantic jpgs.
    4) Fix all the quotes from the current style that uses cite tags to the style handled by the new quote plugin which uses the rel attribute on the blockquote tag.
    5) Print a list of the IDs of comments that are fucked the fuck up so we can manually fix, or ignore, them.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I noticed a bug in the new Vanilla when a maximum width image is inside of a pyramid, it gets pushed to the right due to the indentation. It should continually shrink in size the higher up the pyramid it gets.
  • All the whispers are safe in a separate area called conversations.
  • 3) Remove the width attribute from all img tags. Vanilla2 automatically tames gigantic jpgs.
  • 1) Change the video tags into simple links to the videos that Vanilla 2 turns into embeds on its own.
    2) Count how many videos of each type exist.
    Quick idea: collect all the videos and budle them up into a giant playlist on Youtube/Vimeo. Youtube at least has a Data API that lets you manipulate playlists.
  • Quick idea: collect all the videos and budle them up into a giant playlist on Youtube/Vimeo. Youtube at least has a Data API that lets you manipulate playlists.
    After the transition we will be able to do a lot of things like this because Vanilla 2 has a barely documented API. http://vanillaforums.org/docs/api
  • When's this going down? Tomorrow-ish?