This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Minecraft - First Person Dwarf Fortress.... Kinda

Comments

• Is the world round?
  • Does anyone know approximately how much diamond the world has?
    5,000-ish. If you Cartograph your world it will tell you.

By far the rarest mineral is clay though. One of my worlds says Diamond Ore: 6112, Clay: 162. All of the others follow the same pattern.
  • The world is made up of 16x16x128 chunks that are generated on-the-fly, and then saved afterwards. As such, the world's shape depends on where you've been.

However, if you consider the realm of places you could possibly be, the minecraft world is square due to limits on the x and y co-ordinates.
  • The maximum size of the earth, according to Notch, is 30 million blocks by 30 million blocks, which works out to an area of 900 square kilometers, compared to the earth's 510 million. But, all of this isn't generated at once the world is generated as you explore it, so it would take a while to hit that limit, and the game would lag considerably at that point.

If you want to learn more about the mechanics of mining this thread has tons of useful information. All of the depth locations of ore, ways to improve your mining speed, and statistical analysis of different mining patters. I'd highly recommend giving it a read.
  • edited October 2010
    The maximum size of the earth, according to Notch, is 30 million blocks by 30 million blocks, which works out to an area of 900 square kilometers, compared to the earth's 510 million. But, all of this isn't generated at once the world is generated as you explore it, so it would take a while to hit that limit, and the game would lag considerably at that point.
    I'm pretty sure the actual figure is 64 million * 64 million, hence 4096 million square km or roughly 8 times the surface area of the Earth.

Based on the co-ordinates here, you do indeed hit the edge after 32 million blocks in any direction. So, the world has 64 million * 64 million * 128 or roughly 5.24 x 10^17 blocks as an upper limit.
    Also, based on Cartograph data (Hesstergon's figures here), one in roughly every 10000 blocks is diamond.
    So, the average minecraft world, if fully explored, would contain something like 50 000 000 000 000 diamond blocks.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited October 2010
    Post edited by imptac on
  • You don't want to reach the end of the world. Trust me, I've been there. It ain't pretty.
  • edited October 2010
    According to Cartograph, my world has 8718 diamond ore blocks. I guess losing 6 isn't so bad, especially if my world grows as I explore.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • edited October 2010
    From Notch
    Strange, because the author of the video I linked says they found the end of the earth in one direction at co-ordinates of 31999990. Since your spawn is pretty much (0,0), that suggests a distance of 32 million North, South, East or West, and hence a surface area of 64 million * 64 million.

I guess someone should verify one of the two figures by travelling to the four corners of the map, but I don't feel like it at the moment.
  • edited October 2010
    According to Cartograph, my world has 8718 diamond ore blocks. I guess losing 6 isn't so bad, especially if my world grows as I explore.
    Clay Mossy cobblestone Monster spawners are the most limited resource in the game, I think, so that's the one you should worry about :P
  • Keep in mind, the figures from Notch are from march, and the maximum size of the map could have been changed in an update. Either way, it's pretty ridiculous. I'm looking forward to the portal travel in the Halloween update. Having a reliable way to cross large distances should be interesting. My current system of minecarts and boats is getting a bit cumbersome, and will probably run into scaling issues.
  • Strange, because the author of the video I linked says they found the end of the earth in one direction at co-ordinates of 31999990. Since your spawn is pretty much (0,0), that suggests a distance of 32 million North, South, East or West
    If the world is generated on the fly, it's possible that relative locations change with the world. If I walk 32 million north, I might then only be able to walk 32 million south, and end up where I started, but be able to go no further.
  • The map spawn you at coordinates very close to 0,0,0. For example, in my current map I am at -99, 64, -266. These are the spawn point coordinates that will never change (unless you have the appropriate tools). As for how far you can go to the end of the world, it is quite difficult to say because movement started to become majorly glitched, and the map itself transforms into very strange formation. The changes will be subtle at first. You'll notice that the mountains are unusual in a way you can't really say. Once you start to reach far into the distance, it will start to go haywire. Perhaps I should screenshot different distances so that y'all can see what it's like.
  • Righto, so maybe there's some change in minecraft that made the limit unobtainable. There's a new crash handler, and it won't let me spawn past coordinate 12,550,550. Not sure whether it's x, y, or z, but it's not the one based on height. I know I've been able to get up to where that guy is in the video but that's impossible for me, currently.

This here's the starting area, nice and innocuous.

Right, let's just go ahead and go forward by 1 million units.

And another million.

Fuck it, let's go up to 12 million. It's failing to load and it's getting quite close to where it crashes.

I reach up to the 12,550,550th coordinate before I'm unable to hack anymore without causing crashes. The land generation takes dozens of minutes. Walking is incredibly slow due to only getting a frame ever 2 seconds.This is what towers over me, and I'm not even half way.

Movement is very bugged when you go this far. The game may start out smooth but while go to a crawl within a minute. The further out you go, the worse it'll become. While you may be able to generate up to 8 times the size of the earth, it will start to get very bizarre and unplayable. Pragmatically this makes little difference as you will not be able to travel far enough to notice any symptoms. Oh by the way, if you're wondering what's in those giant holes:
  • Okay, so I guess we stick with the 30 million figure now. So, the revised estimate is 10 000 000 000 000 diamond blocks per map.
    This is my hole! It was made for me!
  • Maybe if you walk far enough you can see the great space invaders in the sky.
    Three weeks previous, a miner found that his house was one block larger on the inside than it was on the outside...
  • edited October 2010
    Three weeks previous, a miner found that hishousewas one block larger on the inside than it was on the outside...
    >Deep in the mines, I discovered a XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. Then, the creepers were upon us.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Minecraft is scary enough without non-Euclidean shit going down. Only for another week though, I guess.
  • edited October 2010
    It's been around a while, but I don't think this has been posted here before, so here's the minecraft song:
  • So, I died and lost my stuff. I went to get it back, didn't get my sword in time and died again. I've searched the area I lost it many times with no luck. There was no lava or anything. What happened to my stuff?
  • It disappears after five minutes.
  • It appears Notch has confirmed that he is bailing on Minecraft for Apple due to the fact that Apple's new policy is not going to allow java apps in the store, here is hoping for Android...
  • Wait, isn't there already a Mac version? *Checking.*

Oh, you mean iOS. Apple does still make computers y'know.
  • Well Apple is going to stop supporting java for OS X, which could hinder future updates to Minecraft on OS X.
  • Wait, isn't there already a Mac version? *Checking.*

Oh, you mean iOS. Apple does still make computers y'know.
    Got me there, I just find it odd that Apple would stop supporting defacto plugins on its OSes (phone or PC), I think they just want to strangle out every dev to conform to them as they think (for some reason) that customers will buy anything shiny that comes into their view.
  • Stop making me want to play this game, god damnit. I have limited time as it is.
  • edited October 2010
    Stop making me want to play this game, god damnit. I have limited time as it is.
    OK then.

The now excavated lava dome at level 0 (basically the floor is a patchwork of adminium which I intend to cover with glass and fill up with lava. The semi finished waterfall lift is visible, as are some obsidian blobs which I haven't broken down yet.
    The atrium at ground level with some trees growing inside. Second and third floor office spaces are visible (as are some patches of dirt / cobble that need cleaning up).
    The atrium from the outside, also visible is an observation platform over a large patch of sand that will become a lake (which I'm standing on). Right above the tip of the sword you can see the monorail project leading to floating island base and awesome vista bay base. It's a bit untidy since my spawn point is in front of the atrium and I have on occasion died in the mines during the night only to find myself surrounded by creepers on respawn -> broken glass -> base full of mobs :-).
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • Ropes and pulleys would be much appreciated, Notch. I wants me a drawbridge and dumbwaiter, dag-gum it!