This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

iPhone/other smart phone questions

Comments

• All of you are dumb for carrying on this argument
    This is what we do. We've already had this argument in person, several times. We'll have it again at Scojo' party, then at New Year's, and again at MAGfest.
  • I'm not upgrading to iOS 6 yet (...) there is still a product that works for me. It's iOS 5. No one is forcing you to upgrade to an iPhone 5.
    But then your shit gets hacked.
  • edited September 2012
    I would like to point out that Apple has deliberately changed the size of the hands on their models to make the iPhone look smaller.

http://boingboing.net/2007/06/21/apple-uses-bighanded.html
    Huh, that iPhone looks like its the right size even for that gigantic hand.
    It's ok, You keep telling yourself that.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I'm not upgrading to iOS 6 yet (...) there is still a product that works for me. It's iOS 5. No one is forcing you to upgrade to an iPhone 5.
    But then your shit gets hacked.
    By who? I've never had this problem.

• edited September 2012
    How has Google been a Pratt? The old Maps app for iOS that everyone loves so much was written by Apple using the Google API. Apple never updated it because they were planning to replace it. Google could not put in their own replacement, because the official app already existed. Also, because the official app is a default app, it is tied into the iOS API, which really restricts its specifications.
    Apple's license agreement with Google did not include permission to use Google's API to do turn-by-turn, vector tiles, etc. In fact, this has been known as a constraint for several years. Google also was going to require Apple to integrate Google Latitude and have in-app Google branding, despite the fact that Apple, not Google, developed the app, if Apple wanted to use the API for turn-by-turn and other more advanced features. Basically, Google was like, "Yes Apple, you can use our data to provide turn-by-turn in your app, but you have to develop it to work the way we tell you to."

Oh, and for those of you with Galaxy S2s and S3s, how the "Factory Reset URL of doom" treating you? :)
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • How has Google been a Pratt? The old Maps app for iOS that everyone loves so much was written by Apple using the Google API. Apple never updated it because they were planning to replace it. Google could not put in their own replacement, because the official app already existed. Also, because the official app is a default app, it is tied into the iOS API, which really restricts its specifications.
    Apple's license agreement with Google did not include permission to use Google's API to do turn-by-turn, vector tiles, etc. In fact, this has been known as a constraint for several years. Google also was going to require Apple to integrate Google Latitude and have in-app Google branding, despite the fact that Apple, not Google, developed the app, if Apple wanted to use the API for turn-by-turn and other more advanced features. Basically, Google was like, "Yes Apple, you can use our data to provide turn-by-turn in your app, but you have to develop it to work the way we tell you to."

Oh, and for those of you with Galaxy S2s and S3s, how the "Factory Reset URL of doom" treating you? :)
    Apple could have just let Google own the app and such.
  • The only fat finger problems I have with my Nexus S involve this forum. For some reason 10% of the time when I go to hit the "post comment" button it registers as a click on the "full site" or "log out" links. I have even zoomed on the button to the point where nothing else is on screen and when I push the button the screen shifts and I get logged out.
  • Apple could have just let Google own the app and such.
    Ah yes, and leave the fate of one of the core apps of your platform to your number one competitor? That's brilliant business sense there. It's one thing if you're just using freely available data they provide anyone who wants it. It's another if you rely on them to actually provide key functionality integrated with your platform. What's next? Microsoft making Google the default search engine on their own platforms instead of Bing? While from a technical sense, it does make sense to just let Google do it for you, from a business sense, Apple basically had few other options as just about every other mapping service is owned by a competitor: Google/GMaps, Nokia/Navteq, Microsoft/Bing Maps, etc. The only ones available that weren't owned by a competitor were TomTom and OpenStreeMap, both of which are used in their new maps app.

Admittedly, Apple probably should've just licensed TomTom's own nav app instead of just buying the data and used it as the basis of their app instead of writing a new one from scratch.
  • That's just it though. How are Apple and Google competitors? Apple makes hardware and operating systems. Google has mostly failed at hardware and operating systems. Google makes web applications. Apple has completely failed at all attempts at web applications. If you combine the two, it's all win.

I know Google is trying to step up the hardware game by purchasing Motorola Mobility to step up the hardware game, but Apple also purchased a few map companies to step up their game to no avail.

Apples real competitors are Samsung, HTC, SONY, Dell, Lenovo, Acer, etc. Google is just a blanket on top of everybody. If I were Apple, I would stay under the blanket and keep warm. You might find some gold if you venture out, but you also might die of hypothermia.
  • Wait, who is making Android?
    But they don't sell Android. Google really doesn't care if you use iOS as long as Google ads show up when you web.
  • As someone who lives in Austin, Texas, I can say that I have -never- had issues with Apple's Map App. I honestly don't know anyone in the area that does, but I'm sure the map quality varies from region to region.
  • I'd have thought they cared about control over the phone OS market and the app store has to be making them something.

On all fronts there seems to be a big fight over who is going to control whatever replaces TV by way of the internet, i.e. who is going to become the Steam of TV shows.
    But they don't sell Android. Google really doesn't care if you use iOS as long as Google ads show up when you web.
    That's like saying Linux doesn't compete against Windows because Linus Torvalds et al. don't sell it and all the major Linux distributors have free versions you can download. Plus, as Omnutia said, they have their Google Play store, which gives them moneys indirectly from Android, even if they don't sell the OS directly.
  • It's one thing if you're just using freely available data they provide anyone who wants it. It's another if you rely on them to actually provide key functionality integrated with your platform. What's next? Microsoft making Google the default search engine on their own platforms instead of Bing
    Why not? As long as both companies profit, there is no harm.

Remember, in business, it's not a zero sum game. Your opponent winning does not mean you lose. Having better products is beneficial to both. And on top of that, there's no reason to suspect Google might try to screw you over.

• Conanical doesn't give a crap if you use Ubuntu on your desktop. All they want is to sell support licenses.
  • Remember, in business, it's not a zero sum game. Your opponent winning does not mean you lose. Having better products is beneficial to both. And on top of that, there's no reason to suspect Google might try to screw you over.
    Until your opponent grows so large they strong arm you out of the market.
  • Didn't Apple enter the phone market because they feared smart phones would be an iPod killer and they wanted to insure if anyone killed the iPod it was them? Google had a similar fear, they did not want to be locked out of the mobile ad market.
  • edited September 2012
    So yeah. Got my iPhone 5. I love it.

I accidentally lost the 5 pictures I took with it yesterday while in Portland. It's ok though. Some were already posted on Twitter, and the others were no big deal even though I wouldn't have minded having the picture of all the doughnuts on display at Voodoo Doughnuts, but the internet has them.

Anyhoo, as I'm getting into Portland I have iOS maps try to give me directions to the Apple store. Yeah, I ended up parking 6 blocks away from the store. It's ok though because in the end I ate at a really delicious sushi place I saw next to the building where I parked at, so it worked out.

As for my impressions with the phone. Fast. Crazy fast. Compared to the iPhone 4, it feels so light and fragile. I felt like I may just snap it in half. The 4 feels like a brick compared to the 5.

From where I parked, I started using Siri to give me directions to Voodoo doughnuts as well as out of Portland. It worked very well. No issues with navigations there.

I also started playing Super Hexagon and the game isn't formatted for the large screen, which I found out the hard way. I was tapping and the cursor wasn't moving. For a moment, I went "WTF?! MOVE!".

I love the panoramic camera option. I stopped by the waterfront area to test it out:

Now, I need to buy another Lightning cord and adapater. :(

Edit: This was my first time going from one iPhone to another. The back up stuff with iCloud is pretty awesome. It pretty much loaded all my previous settings on the iPhone 4 onto the 5. Very nice and convenient. Makes sense to do that, but I never really thought about it before until now.

I also like how the Lightning plug in can go in either side vs. the old plug in. About time. There has been so many times in the night/dark where I tried to plug my phone it and had to turn it around.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited September 2012
    The newest iPhone ALWAYS feels lighting fast compared to the previous model because the previous model always gets incrementally slower with each new iOS update (despite there being very little in each update, in terms of added features, to account for the slowness.) I had 3 iPhones and it was this way each time.

I was pleasantly surprised when I updated the Android OS on my Note and it got FASTER.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • The newest iPhone ALWAYS feels lighting fast compared to the previous model because the previous model always gets incrementally slower with each new iOS update (despite there being very few little in each update, in terms of added features, to account for the slowness.) I had 3 iPhones and it was this way each time.

I was pleasantly surprised when I updated the Android OS on my Note and it got FASTER.
    The question is whether the iOS updates are intentionally slowing themselves down on older iPhones, or if they are just doing more advanced shit.
  • The newest iPhone ALWAYS feels lighting fast compared to the previous model because the previous model always gets incrementally slower with each new iOS update (despite there being very few little in each update, in terms of added features, to account for the slowness.) I had 3 iPhones and it was this way each time.

The question is whether the iOS updates are intentionally slowing themselves down on older iPhones, or if they are just doing more advanced shit.
    You'd think we'd have heard from a whistleblower or two by now, but with closed source, who knows?

You'd think we'd have heard from a whistleblower or two by now, but with closed source, who knows?
    The word on the street is that at Apple you only get to see the part of the project you are working on. You only see your section of the code, and you only see your section of the hardware. So if the guy who wrote that one part is shady and keeps his mouth shut, there are only a handful of lips that could sink the ship.
  • My money would be on not that they do it deliberately, but that they just don't care much about keeping the old ones efficient.
  • My money would be on not that they do it deliberately, but that they just don't care much about keeping the old ones efficient.
  • AND THERE WAS MUCH REJOICING
    And enthusiastic pumping in the air of little girl-like hands.
  • No guys, that phone is gimped hardware wise.
  • No guys, that phone is gimped hardware wise.
    Nah, look at the specs. It's plenty powerful for most everything people do with their phones, and will probably have a longer battery life as a result.