This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

iPhone/other smart phone questions

Comments

• I have the regular Nexus S now, how much bigger is it?
    The Galaxy Nexus is significantly larger than the Nexus S. You can look up the dimensions online. I think it actually might be thinner, but it is much wider and taller.
  • The surprising thing is how many people actually think the bigger screen is better (because they watch lots of videos, etc)... and then complain (okay, perhaps semi-rightfully so) when I tell them that "if you're using your phone that way, you're using it wrong -- use a tablet instead!"
  • The surprising thing is how many people actually think the bigger screen is better (because they watch lots of videos, etc)... and then complain (okay, perhaps semi-rightfully so) when I tell them that "if you're using your phone that way, you're using it wrong -- use a tablet instead!"
    When I rode the train every day, I did watch a lot of videos on my iPhone 3G. I rewatched all of Evangelion and Escaflowne that way. A bigger screen was not necessary, and that wasn't even a Retina display!
    When I rode the train every day, I did watch a lot of videos on my iPhone 3G. I rewatched all of Evangelion and Escaflowne that way. A bigger screen was not necessary, and that wasn't even a Retina display!
    I hear ya, but people always seem to cite things like "watching videos" as a reason to get a bigger screen. I mean, I watch videos on my 4S while working out at the gym and I see no problem with the screen. Sure, a bigger screen would be nice, but that would mean a gadget that wouldn't fit as nicely in my pocket and that would be more difficult to use one-handed. If my phone was primary a video playing device, yeah, then that would be okay, but my phone is primary a communications device and its usability for communications (where one-handed operation and a convenient size to be on me at all times is preferred) is far more important than the benefit a larger screen would give for secondary functions like watching video -- especially since the screen size is perfectly adequate for it anyway.
  • I do not get why you want to watch videos on your phone. However, since there are no proper small phones that don't suck (or at least I don't know of one), I think I'd get one with a big-ish screen rather than a iPhone-sized one; for viewing web pages and reading text. The form factor of the bigger Nokia Lumia is around what I have in mind.
  • edited September 2012
    The surprising thing is how many people actually think the bigger screen is better (because they watch lots of videos, etc)... and then complain (okay, perhaps semi-rightfully so) when I tell them that "if you're using your phone that way, you're using it wrong -- use a tablet instead!"
    Man, imagine not wanting to spend money on two expensive devices when making one a little bit bigger can make it work for everything you need. How ridiculous!

Seriously, Pete has the Galaxy Nexus. It is huge, but the ratio of the phone to HIS hand is the same as the ratio of my iPhone 4s to my hand. He has thick hands. He also uses it as his primary mobile computer. It works perfectly fine for him; he does half his forum browsing and posting from his phone. Why should he buy a tablet when he already has a device that works great as a phone and a small tablet? Shit be expensive, and sometimes we have to choose.

Post edited by Nuri on
    Man, imagine not wanting to spend money on two expensive devices when making one a little bit bigger can make it work for everything you need. How ridiculous!

Seriously, Pete has the Galaxy Nexus. It is huge, but the ratio of the phone to HIS hand is the same as the ratio of my iPhone 4s to my hand. He has thick hands. He also uses it as his primary mobile computer. It works perfectly fine for him; he does half his forum browsing and posting from his phone. Why should he buy a tablet when he already has a device that works great as a phone and a small tablet? Shit be expensive, and sometimes we have to choose.

Yep. Note works for me for the same reasons. And I have big hands, too.
  • edited September 2012
    The surprising thing is how many people actually think the bigger screen is better (because they watch lots of videos, etc)... and then complain (okay, perhaps semi-rightfully so) when I tell them that "if you're using your phone that way, you're using it wrong -- use a tablet instead!"

I don't have a tablet either. I have a laptop.

Also, it is true that there are some people in this world that have huge hands, but most people don't! By definition huge hands are above average sized. Apple took into consideration the average/median size of a human hand when designing the iPhone. If you want to use hand size as an excuse, then only the minority of people who do actually have giant hands should get these huge phones. Instead, the gigantic phone has become the default for Android. That's like the sledgehammer being the default hammer.

Also, a lot of people who SAY they have big hands are full of shit. They are just clumsy fools who don't know how to use a touch screen properly. They make bullshit excuses for their giant phone the same way they make excuses for their giant SUV or giant TV. They have a Texas mentality, but refuse to admit it because another part of their brain is smart enough to know that it is stupid.
    Post edited by Apreche on

Also, it is true that there are some people in this world that have huge hands, but most people don't! By definition huge hands are above average sized. Apple took into consideration the average/median size of a human hand when designing the iPhone. If you want to use hand size as an excuse, then only the minority of people who do actually have giant hands should get these huge phones. Instead, the gigantic phone has become the default for Android. That's like the sledgehammer being the default hammer.
    I'm still seeing small Android phones all over the place, am I hallucinating? Maybe not in the current year's crop, I'm not sure about that, but so what? Is a 2 year old phone a big deal? When they've done it 2 or 3 consecutive years, THEN the butthurt can begin for angry men with little girl hands... ;-D

I'm still seeing small Android phones all over the place, am I hallucinating? Maybe not in the current year's crop, I'm not sure about that, but so what? Is a 2 year old phone a big deal? When they've done it 2 or 3 consecutive years, THEN the butthurt can begin for angry men with little girl hands... ;-D
    The only smart phones worth buying are the top tier phones. There are tons and tons of smart phones on the market, but who the fuck buys an LG Lucid?

There are effectively four viable choices for someone buying a smart phone today. iPhone 5, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus, or Nokia Lumia. And you might not even consider Nokia Lumia to be an option. In that sense, there are no reasonably sized Android phones available on the market today.
  • So, once you apply several layers of criteria including size, there are no smartphones on the market that appeal to YOU (and your little girl hands).
  • I don't have a tablet either. I have a laptop.

A laptop is also expensive, and there is no reason for Pete to buy one. He just doesn't do much complex computing.

He actually had the standard sized Droid for quite awhile. He has also used my phone. While the Droid screen has its own accuracy problems (holy fuck, no wonder you all want physical keyboards), he had trouble with accuracy on both phones. He also uses it for casual internet use, as I mentioned, and the bigger screen is better for that. If you're going to pay for a smartphone anyway, why is it a problem to get one that pulls off the functions of a tablet and forgo buying an additional device? Whether you buy a laptop or a tablet, it's still a lot of money for a device that you don't even need if you just get a slightly bigger phone!

I guess I'm mystified as to why people liking bigger screens on their phones offends you so much. I don't think people need to make an "excuse." They can buy whatever sized screen works for them, for whatever reason! When you personally start paying for their expenses, then you maybe have some right to dictate that they should buy two devices instead of just one. Until then, recognize that you have rich-guy-with-no-kids bias when it comes to purchasing electronics.

• edited September 2012
    Seriously, get bigger hands. How are you going to till fields when the Illuminati collapse their puppet government?

Edit: I'm also a believer in multi-purpose devices. If my phone CAN function like a phone, tablet, and netbook, why should I not use it as such? To do anything else is to underutilize my gadgets.

I also think that most people who have tablets don't actually need one.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • So, once you apply several layers of criteria including size, there are no smartphones on the market that appeal to YOU (and your little girl hands).
    I challenge you to measure your hands. I'm willing to bet they aren't actually aren't far above average size. Only people like Andre the Giant or Hakeem Nicks actually have big hands. Also, by definition the iPhone was made for the average human hand size. So even if you do actually have giant hands, you are the freak outlier. Why would the default size of phone be a size appropriate only for freaks? That means that the overwhelming majority of people who have those giant phones have phones that are too big for their hands, even if you are not among them.
  • Seriously, get bigger hands. How are you going to till fields when the Illuminati collapse their puppet government?
    He can't even do a push-up. There is no way he's tilling any fields.

• edited September 2012
    I'm willing to bet Pete is fat fingering his phone, as I have see many many people do. When you touch your phone, there should be ZERO compression of flesh against the screen. You should apply no pressure. Your skin should make contact with the glass, but there should be no application of force. If you are pressing your screen, you are using the capacitive touch screen improperly, and that is the cause of your accuracy problems. Both Rym and I have discussed encountering many such people.
    Post edited by Apreche on
    I challenge you to measure your hands. I'm willing to bet they aren't actually aren't far above average size. Only people like Andre the Giant or Hakeem Nicks actually have big hands. Also, by definition the iPhone was made for the average human hand size. So even if you do actually have giant hands, you are the freak outlier. Why would the default size of phone be a size appropriate only for freaks? That means that the overwhelming majority of people who have those giant phones have phones that are too big for their hands, even if you are not among them.
    If the phones are so ill suited to the market, they'll sell poorly and the makers will go back to the drawing board. No need to fret.
  • I would assume long fingers are a bigger concern than big hands. Most people I've seen with bear hands have short stubby fingers.
    If the phones are so ill suited to the market, they'll sell poorly and the makers will go back to the drawing board. No need to fret.
    Car companies sell a lot of SUVs. That doesn't mean they are the right product to make or buy. It just means a lot of people make poor purchasing decisions.
    Car companies sell a lot of SUVs. That doesn't mean they are the right product to make or buy. It just means a lot of people make poor purchasing decisions.
    Luckily my Galaxy Note is getting great gas mileage so far and I'm really enjoying it.
    Luckily my Galaxy Note is getting great gas mileage so far and I'm really enjoying it.
    SUV drivers fucking love their cars.
  • I'm willing to bet Pete is fat fingering his phone, as I have see many many people do. When you touch your phone, there should be ZERO compression of flesh against the screen. You should apply no pressure. Your skin should make contact with the glass, but there should be no application of force. If you are pressing your screen, you are using the capacitive touch screen improperly, and that is the cause of your accuracy problems. Both Rym and I have discussed encountering many such people.
    Well, I actually have rounded fingertips that are broader than most. Depending on the orientation of the phone, my fingertips will just spill over the target area.

I have fat fingers. You and Rym both have slender fingers. Dainty. I've observed your hands many times.

Of course, many people who do not have fat fingers do use their phone incorrectly.

• Wait, so first big was above average, now it's arbitrarily far above average. How long till only This guy has large hands?
  • SUV drivers are creating a blight on society with their uneconomical, ecologically disastrous crime-against-humanity machines. There really isn't a clear parallel hear to big phones except your frothing hatred of, I assume, both.

Obviously you were worried enough about your dainty, slender little girl hands to go check. :-D
  • Huh. My hands are actually more of the average male than average female, but then again I did know that my hands were always larger than other females that I knew.
  • LOL theaveragebody.com is blocked at work for having Mature content that is not work related.... in a hospital.
  • I'm willing to bet Pete is fat fingering his phone, as I have see many many people do. When you touch your phone, there should be ZERO compression of flesh against the screen. You should apply no pressure. Your skin should make contact with the glass, but there should be no application of force. If you are pressing your screen, you are using the capacitive touch screen improperly, and that is the cause of your accuracy problems. Both Rym and I have discussed encountering many such people.
    Well, I actually have rounded fingertips that are broader than most. Depending on the orientation of the phone, my fingertips will just spill over the target area.

I have fat fingers. You and Rym both have slender fingers. Dainty. I've observed your hands many times.

Of course, many people who do not have fat fingers do use their phone incorrectly.

I almost exclusively use my thumbs, which are extremely round, almost half-spherical. That actually makes it very easy to touch in one spot. Think about how small an amount of surface area on a fully inflated ball actually touches the ground when you bounce it.
  • Girly thumb ad
    But my thumb goes from the bottom of my 3.5" HTC screen to an inch over the top of it.

Scott, we're all very sorry you have dainty, girly fingers, but please don't punish those of us with manly hands.