This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

iPhone/other smart phone questions

Comments

• No guys, that phone is gimped hardware wise.
    Only slightly compared to the full size GS3.

Also, consider that the iPhone 5 has the fastest mobile CPU around. That's one of the key reasons the other guys are making big phones, want people to want big phones, and make commercials suggesting bigger is better. Packing all that power in a small space is much more difficult and expensive. If people wanted small phones, they would be losing to Apple on most spec comparisons at phones of the same size. Even their current gigantic phones are slower than the iPhone 5. Nokia at least is winning the camera game.
  • edited October 2012
    Nah, look at the specs. It's plenty powerful for most everything people do with their phones, and will probably have a longer battery life as a result.
    Only slightly compared to the full size GS3.
    It's gimping what is already a 6 month old design. It's plenty powerful now, but in 6 months or a year it will be slow. I bought a 6 month old phone a year and a half ago thinking "it's plenty powerful for what I want". It was showing it's age in 6 months and now it's unbearably slow. Good battery though.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Geeze, picky, picky. I got my iPhone 4s last year and I'm still perfectly happy with its speed. Heck, I've used my wife's and mom's iPhone 4 and found the speed plenty adequate as well. The last phone I had that I found slow was my 3G, which I replaced with the 4s after it was already 3 or so years old -- and even then, it was still adequate for a large part of what I did with it.
  • My 21 month old phone is still plenty powerful.
  • I had an iPhone 3gs for two years without it slowing down, or ever being too slow. My girlfriend is still using it three years later, though she's just put in an order for an iPhone 5. What are you doing with your phone now that you didn't do 6 months ago which is making it slow down so much?
  • The new android OS's do a lot more. 2.3 to 4.0 is a huge jump in capabilities of the phone, but it requires a lot more resources. For example, my phone really struggles with any kind of voice command.
  • RymRym
    edited October 2012
    The new android OS's do a lot more. 2.3 to 4.0 is a huge jump in capabilities of the phone, but it requires a lot more resources. For example, my phone really struggles with any kind of voice command.
    Really? Again, my 21-month-old phone takes it like a champ. It's even running Jellybean.

Post edited by Rym on
  • Also that is bad design. Android 1 is a billion times heavier than it needs to be already. 4 should be lighter, not even heavier.
  • edited October 2012
    The new android OS's do a lot more. 2.3 to 4.0 is a huge jump in capabilities of the phone, but it requires a lot more resources. For example, my phone really struggles with any kind of voice command.
    Really? Again, my 21-month-old phone takes it like a champ. It's even running Jellybean.
    My 30 month phone can't even really support ICS and beyond. There are no drivers for the video camera or video playback and something about the way it's partitioned makes 4.* tricky or impossible. It really drags when I open Chrome or even the stock browser. The voice commands are hilariously slow. So I'm kinda stuck with Android 2.3 like a peasant. I want the new shiny things!

Once it was the best android phone money could buy.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Well, I'm guessing your phone isn't of the Nexus variety. Would not buy any Android device without Nexus in the title.
  • Really, I'm holding out as long as I can. I want GSM, but I don't want to leave Sprint's super cheap actually unlimited data plan. I also need to find out how Google Glass will work, particularly how it will integrate with my phone. Finally, I have the special Sprint Google Voice integration: I don't want to give that up.

All signs point to waiting as long as humanly possible to upgrade.

I might buy a shitty unlocked GSM phone with no contract somwhere and pop SIMs into it every time I travel.
  • Well, I'm guessing your phone isn't of the Nexus variety. Would not buy any Android device without Nexus in the title.
    I'm a verizon customer, there wasn't a Nexus for a very long time. I bought a well rooted and hackable HTC and ripped out the terrible OS it came with in favor of an Nexus style ROM. My phone is basically a CDMA Nexus 1, but even Google didn't upgrade the Nexus 1 saying it's hardware was too old and slow. My other friends says the Snapdragon processor my phone runs on is basically 4 years old.
    I might buy a shitty unlocked GSM phone with no contract somwhere and pop SIMs into it every time I travel.
    You can buy an unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus from Google for $350. Just FYI.
  • Two co-workers have that unlocked Galaxy Nexus. It is great. It's only flaw is that it is ginormous. Would recommend A++ to King Kong.
  • My point is...my phone is really showing it's age. I'm looking forward to a Nexus, no matter how big or small.
  • I had to keep recalibrating my Home Button on the iPhone 4 and I didn't have it for 4 years. I could have held out for the 5, but I didn't want to.
  • My point is...my phone is really showing it's age. I'm looking forward to a Nexus, no matter how big or small.
    Have you considered: the Apple iPhone by Apple Macintosh Computers Inc.
    Have you considered: the Apple iPhone by Apple Macintosh Computers Inc.
    Peddle your shitty maps elsewhere.
  • But then we can iMessage eachother and you don't have to worry about charges!

ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US!
  • The new maps is actually vastly superior b/c its usable offline
  • Google maps has been usable offline on Android for a year or so.
  • I will now test the offline nature of my various mapping solutions.
  • Damn guess I should be better at keeping up with developments in inferior technology.......................
  • I turned off all my data. None of the maps worked except for my NYC Mate subway map. That app specifically downloads and stores all the transit maps the first time you use it, sort of like how Guidebook downloads convention schedules.
  • edited October 2012
    The Apple Maps offline mode lets you see and explore the last area you loaded when you did have a connection. Like if you load up directions somewhere, the whole route is stored locally and you can zoom in/out and see street names/businesses etc when you're offline. Tho idk that might have a limit, like if you navigated to california I doubt it loads the entire US. Whatever its cool tho and better than Google b/c Apple made it.
    Post edited by johndis on
  • Google maps has been usable offline on Android for a year or so.
    Yeap. In fact, I use it extensively when travelling in countries where I have no data plan: GPS also works offline!

• I turned off all my data. None of the maps worked except for my NYC Mate subway map. That app specifically downloads and stores all the transit maps the first time you use it, sort of like how Guidebook downloads convention schedules.
    Your phone sucks shit then. ;^)
  • With Google Maps I have to pre-download the area I'll use offline. So if I'm going to go hiking I just select the area I'm going to be and it can pre-download a 100 mi^2 block of maps. So hiking in the woods is no problem with a little fore thought.
  • But then we can iMessage eachother and you don't have to worry about charges!

ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US!
    Charges? For what? Oh, wait, I guess not everyone has UNLIMITED EVERYTHING FOR CHEAP SPRINT SPRINT SPRINT SPRINT!.

• With Google Maps I have to pre-download the area I'll use offline. So if I'm going to go hiking I just select the area I'm going to be and it can pre-download a 100 mi^2 block of maps. So hiking in the woods is no problem with a little fore thought.
    It also caches where I've been recently automatically as far as I've seen. There's a cache manager to see what areas it has saved. I have cached a very large number of places.
  • Oh, I did not pre-download anything. I just turned on airplane mode and then opened the maps apps one at a time.