This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

iPhone/other smart phone questions

Comments

• edited November 2012
    T-Mobile.

AT&T has their gophone prepaid line. I think they just got sued over that due to some unscrupulous data charges.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Yeah, I'm unlikely to switch away from Verizon. They really do have the best 4G network.
  • edited November 2012
    With the upgrade to iPhone 5 and upgrade to LTE, I can attest is crazy fast. I'm used a lot of streaming since I've upgraded and you can see from the recent graph on my account analysis.

I get various notifications (email or Twitter) faster than I get on my computer.

(Red dot = when I got the iPhone 5)
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited November 2012
    So Google Music is a thing that just happened over here (UK) and I'm seriously thinking of killing both my Old PAYG phone and IPod touch upgrade problems at once and getting an android phone of some description and just biting the app cost (Oh boo hoo, I won't get to play FF Dimensions to it's conclusion)

Now, and I know I'm just asking to get a fist in my face here, what is a comparable phone to go eye to eye with what I do with my touch right now (Mine being a gen 4)?
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • I'd probably just get a Galaxy S3 unless there's already some new hotness I don't know about.
  • See: Nexus 4.
  • edited November 2012
    See: Nexus 4.
    See I was thinking that but the fact it doesn't have expandable memory and LordKat's talk about it on Tuesday Tech Talk kind of worries me.
    I have a 32gb touch so it has to be able to have at least that much in the memory card department.
  • edited November 2012
    Sorry for the double post: Now that I look at it. Most of my memory's being eaten up by Music anyway (like 19gb, 3 of which is podcasts) and I can pull down songes from GPM for offline play like, say, a random playlist or too, right?

Hum, thinking really hard on this one now, I might go N4.
  • While I have a lot of music, I've never really understood the argument "well clearly I need a device that can hold all the music I own." It's so unnecessary. But I suppose I don't have a crippling need to constantly have headphones in my ears.
  • I've got nearly all my music in my poop phone via Google Music. 8gb is more than enough for me. I do need new headphones though, mine are getting a big janky.
  • I don't actually need all of my music with me at all times, it's just a nice convenience. The real convenience is not having to go through that arduous process of sorting out which songs I want and don't want, and setting it all up to sync properly.

My entire music collection is 13GB,all neatly sorted and tagged. The 920 has 32GB of storage, so plenty for me. When I plug it in, it shows up just like a flash drive and all I had to do was drag and drop my music folder into its music folder. There is a syncing program available, but was glad I did not have to deal with it, and super excited that I didn't have to use iTunes anymore.

In general I can't believe manufacturers are making phones with such little memory. I was caught with my pants down when I bought a 16GB iPhone 4S. Hi-res graphics on apps have caused app sizes to balloon. Shooting hi-res video and photos also helped fill up the device. I was constantly having to manage my storage and it sucked. I would have gladly bought a 32GB if I had anticipated that. How are people with 8GB of storage on Android faring with app size and photo/video storage?

Cloud music storage will probably work for most. I've heard good things about Amazon Cloud Player. I, on the other hand, subscribed to iTunes Match to solve my problems. Do not do this. The service is frankly broken and never worked properly.
  • I still have an 8GB phone that, despite extensive use for all manner of things, has never even been close to running out of space.
  • I still have an 8GB phone that, despite extensive use for all manner of things, has never even been close to running out of space.
    I've had a 16GB chip in my phone and that is actually pretty full. I could easily trim it down, there's at least a GB of old geeknights podcasts. Also a could GB of ROM backups. I could make due with 8 easily, but I'm gonna opt for the 16 GB N4 when it comes up for sale again.
  • My Google Listen drops things off my queue once it has like 40 episode of anything.

Also, old GeekNights (between about 2010 and a few months ago) were overly large. I've since switched to VBR.
  • edited November 2012
    I'm just lazy cause I've always had plenty of space. I could easily be choosier about the several GB of music too.

Really my phone music serves as backup for when pandora won't work due to poor reception.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • When I was younger, I used to have a ~100GB music library. Then, somewhere around 2009, I deleted all but 25GB of it, since I realized I hadn't listened to whole albums and artists. I still have enough music to last me my entire life, but now I can fit it all on my phone.
  • edited November 2012
    See: Nexus 4.
    See I was thinking that but the fact it doesn't have expandable memory and LordKat's talk about it on Tuesday Tech Talk kind of worries me.
    I have a 32gb touch so it has to be able to have at least that much in the memory card department.
    Oh Hey someone else who is a Mafia member *waves*.

Kyocera Rise is my next phone after car is inspected.

Post edited by Coldguy on
  • Does anyone know if there's anything like Google Listen that is free on Android? Specifically, I'd like something that could temporarily download/stream a few new podcasts and keep playing until I tell it to stop, something where I can set a queue to run one after the other without having to pre download the files. I've had enough issues with Listen to make me want to seek alternatives. I suppose if there's a paid app that would do it I would consider that as well, but it irritates me to have to pay for something that replicates what Listen was doing fine for a long time.
  • Download google listen to PC, load it on phone, problem solved.
  • Doggcatcher is money, but most reviewers (and myself) agree that it's the best at what it does.
  • For the amount of time spent on our phone, if an app is going to do a better job than the built-in phone function for a specific task, such as podcasts, Twitter, etc., just suck it up and pay the $0.99, $1.99. You'll get your money's worth.

• For the amount of time spent on our phone, if an app is going to do a better job than the built-in phone function for a specific task, such as podcasts, Twitter, etc., just suck it up and pay the $0.99, $1.99. You'll get your money's worth.

Yeah. That's part of the reason why I forked over the $2 or whatever it was for Downcaster, although part of that was due to Apple yanking the ability to play podcasts from their Music app (which actually worked quite well for me) and replacing it with the POS Podcasts app.
  • I found the podcast app to not work well if you don't subscribe to the podcasts through the app. If you just upload the podcasts whenever you connect your iPod/iPhone, the show notes won't transfer over.

After subscribing to all the podcasts I listen to through the app, I just automatically download them all and they come with shownotes.

The only time I ever connect my iPhone to my computer is to put new music on it.
  • I found the podcast app to not work well if you don't subscribe to the podcasts through the app. If you just upload the podcasts whenever you connect your iPod/iPhone, the show notes won't transfer over.

After subscribing to all the podcasts I listen to through the app, I just automatically download them all and they come with shownotes.

The only time I ever connect my iPhone to my computer is to put new music on it.
    Who looks at shownotes?
  • RymRym
    edited November 2012
    I've never read a shownote in my life (except the very short ones I type myself when uploading an episode of GeekNights).
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited November 2012
    I do. I mostly look at them for the NPR Most Emailed Stories podcast to see what articles they are going to talk about.

Edit: Just because you two don't read shownotes doesn't mean that others don't.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Ordered a T-Mobile SIM card. This shit is happening.
  • I tried using the iOS Podcast app for about two hours, then went back to just playing them in the music app like I did. The Podcast App added nothing but annoyance.
  • I've gone into the shownotes for podcasts from time to time when they link to things discussed in the show that I want to check out further. It's rare though.

Hate all you want but Downcast for iOS is absolutely worth the $1.99 you pay for it.