This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• You become a vampire?
    Well, I do find myself very sensitive to sunlight, with seemingly enhanced hearing, an unbeatable thirst, a need to feed, and an unwillingness to move around too much until at least nighttime.

• My little brother is taking his final Ph.d exam at the moment. He will be a Doctor of Medieval Literature and Hobbits.
  • Went to the new sushi place downtown. It is decorated very Japanese-y. A bunch of maneki nekos, gesha girls on the wall, Japanese characters on the wall. However I am Pretty sure that the wait staff and cefs were speaking Korean. Good sushi though!
  • Went to the new sushi place downtown. It is decorated very Japanese-y. A bunch of maneki nekos, gesha girls on the wall, Japanese characters on the wall. However I am Pretty sure that the wait staff and cefs were speaking Korean. Good sushi though!
    So it's exactly like a sushi place in Japan?
  • Technically, they should have been speaking Portuguese, good effort though.
  • Technically, they should have been speaking Portuguese, good effort though.
    Oh, why is this?
  • Brazillians are Japan's largest immigrant population. I think.
  • Brazillians are Japan's largest immigrant population. I think.
    Interesting... I had no idea... That increases the number of people I'll be able to speak to in Japan should I go visit, although Brazilian Portuguese has a bit of a funny accent. :P

• Doesn't Brazil also have a sizable Japanese population?
  • I suspect so, I know that Rio has a Japanese newspaper and I've taught a student in Brazil.
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Japan#Immigration
    Actually there are more Chinese immigrants, and Brazilians run a distant third behind Koreans.
  • Vanilla has spoiled me on forum usage: the Enforcers forums use phpBB, and I can barely use them without copious quantities of rage.
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Japan#Immigration
    Actually there are more Chinese immigrants, and Brazilians run a distant third behind Koreans.
    Probably mis-remembered "Western Immigrants.".
  • The next big MMORPG thing that will blow everyone away and drive sales for years will be the one that adopts the mindset of providing the players with the best tools to manufacture their own entertainment.
  • Penn's Sunday School starts in 6 minutes.

http://pennsundayschool.com/
  • Penn's Sunday School starts in 6 minutes.

http://pennsundayschool.com/
    Unfortunatly can't watch this week. I'll have to catch the podcast.
  • It's really laggy and choppy. Unwatchable. I'll be watching the podcast too; hope it turns out better next week.
  • edited February 2012
    You know why Nikkei Brazilians are so common as immigrants in Japan? Japanese families from poor parts of Japan went to Brazil and Peru in the early part of the 20th century, assimilated. A few generations later when Japan made a law that said that people of Japanese heritage could get easier visas to Japan, a lot of their grandchildren, by now totally Brazilian culturally and linguistically, moved to Japan for job opportunities. There were a lot of Brazilian shops and restaurants in Nagoya, which has the highest Nikkei Brazilian population in Japan, I believe.
    Went to the new sushi place downtown. It is decorated very Japanese-y. A bunch of maneki nekos, gesha girls on the wall, Japanese characters on the wall. However I am Pretty sure that the wait staff and cefs were speaking Korean. Good sushi though!
    Fun Fact: This is not usually how sushi places in Japan are decorated at all. (They are usually pretty simple in the decor.) I find the more conspicuous the stereotypical Japanese symbols, the more likely it is run by people who are not Japanese. One way you can tell a real Japanese pub or teishokuya is that the specials are written in Kanji, in ink on paper and pinned up on the wall, or the menu is on blocks of wood above the counter. Also, I found that if the restaurant has a very easy Japanese word for a name, like "hana" or "haru" it is often not authentic, but Japanese run restaurants put "tei" or "ya" on the name or have more unique names, like "Menchanko-tei," "Rairaiken," or "Uminoie." This is not always the case, but it often holds true, in my own opinion.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • "The king is awake. Run."
  • You know why Nikkei Brazilians are so common as immigrants in Japan? Japanese families from poor parts of Japan went to Brazil and Peru in the early part of the 20th century, assimilated. A few generations later when Japan made a law that said that people of Japanese heritage could get easier visas to Japan, a lot of their grandchildren, by now totally Brazilian culturally and linguistically, moved to Japan for job opportunities. There were a lot of Brazilian shops and restaurants in Nagoya, which has the highest Nikkei Brazilian population in Japan, I believe.
    Went to the new sushi place downtown. It is decorated very Japanese-y. A bunch of maneki nekos, gesha girls on the wall, Japanese characters on the wall. However I am Pretty sure that the wait staff and cefs were speaking Korean. Good sushi though!
    Fun Fact: This is not usually how sushi places in Japan are decorated at all. (They are usually pretty simple in the decor.) I find the more conspicuous the stereotypical Japanese symbols, the more likely it is run by people who are not Japanese. One way you can tell a real Japanese pub or teishokuya is that the specials are written in Kanji, in ink on paper and pinned up on the wall, or the menu is on blocks of wood above the counter. Also, I found that if the restaurant has a very easy Japanese word for a name, like "hana" or "haru" it is often not authentic, but Japanese run restaurants put "tei" or "ya" on the name or have more unique names, like "Menchanko-tei," "Rairaiken," or "Uminoie." This is not always the case, but it often holds true, in my own opinion.
    It was Sushi Kuu

• My hair's almost back down to my shoulders. I'm going to let it go completely and tie it back. Or maybe up into a half-up bun like Jason Mewes if I can pull that off.
  • edited February 2012
    So, looks like Lauren Faust is doing a new series of shorts for DC called Super Best Friends Forever, with Batgirl, Wonder woman, and Supergirl fighting crime together.

Sure, while I don't like MLP and Bronies shit me off, but I enjoyed Powerpuff Girls and Foster's home for imaginary friends, and despite that it's not my personal taste, she did a good job with MLP, so it's probably going to be worth a look.

The art is looking pretty good, too -
    Post edited by Churba on
  • When am I getting these medical enhancements futurists keep telling me about?
  • I read Carnage USA #1. It is basically make fun of The Thing. Pretty funny stuff.
  • So, looks like Lauren Faust is doing a new series of shorts for DC called Super Best Friends Forever, with Batgirl, Wonder woman, and Supergirl fighting crime together.

Sure, while I don't like MLP and Bronies shit me off, but I enjoyed Powerpuff Girls and Foster's home for imaginary friends, and despite that it's not my personal taste, she did a good job with MLP, so it's probably going to be worth a look.

The art is looking pretty good, too -
    Kinda looks like Katie Cook's work. Very cute stuff.

• The earth is not a cold, dead place.

Not yet anyway
  • Damn, girl, there was this bitch at H&M and she was so spoind she probably was fucking Henry Kissinger.
    What the hell this mean? Maybe my computer is running low on google fluid because "spoind" is coming up with nothing.