This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• edited February 2012
    Also, given the problems inherent with sunlight and most displays, they'll most likely be sunglasses.
    Not so fond of the idea of being required to wear sunglasses indoors. Any chance they'll be Transitions (or similar) lenses instead?
    I wouldn't be at all surprised. Transition lenses are inherently dorky, but you're wearing a Gargoyle rig as is, so I'd be willing to wear them.

I think it's important to keep in mind that when it comes to something as personal as glasses, Google will need to offer plenty of options to keep its user base happy, because wearable object (especially sight aids) are deeply personal aesthetic choices. For Google Goggles to work, all of this stuff will be taken into account, from lens coatings and corrective power down to the type of frames you can get.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • The problem with Transitions lenses, for me, anyway, is that they're not polarized, so they're not actually very good at being sunglasses. That was the biggest factor in my choosing to get regular clear lenses in my glasses.
  • edited February 2012
    The problem with Transitions lenses, for me, anyway, is that they're not polarized, so they're not actually very good at being sunglasses. That was the biggest factor in my choosing to get regular clear lenses in my glasses.
    For most normal people, non-polarized sunglasses with UV protection are more than enough. I have polarized sunglasses for sailing, since out on the water I'm getting hit with light from two directions and all that. But if you're not in situations on a regular basis where you're being hyper-exposed to sunlight, like skiing or boating, you don't have much to fear from macular degeneration.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I think I just came.

• The reason people say that vinyl has a deeper sound isn't because the records sound better, but because what they're listening to it on is. Born To Run on my iPod sounds just as good as on vinyl, but that's because they're both going through a receiver as old as the British Invasion (I was going to go with the War on Poverty, but I thought keeping with music would be good) and coming out of speakers that can remember when The Doors broke up.
  • edited February 2012
    The reason people say that vinyl has a deeper sound isn't because the records sound better, but because what they're listening to it on is. Born To Run on my iPod sounds just as good as on vinyl, but that's because they're both going through a receiver as old as the British Invasion (I was going to go with the War on Poverty, but I thought keeping with music would be good) and coming out of speakers that can remember when The Doors broke up.
    The real issue is with how music was mastered back in the day. In the time of vinyl records they mastered the music properly. Nowadays they master the music with tons of compression to make it louder and more bass-erific.

The digital format is a near-perfect copy of the master recording. The vinyl records is a severely flawed copy. The thing is, it's not the same master recording! If you took the old masters they used in the vinyl days and put them on CDs or MP3s they would sound amazing. If you printed the modern master recording onto vinyl it would be unlistenable.

For more info, google for "the loudness wars."
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Oh, I unfollowed, unsubscribed, and unfriended a fuckton of people and sites today. Internets are so much quieter. I just hope I can still get newses and things of the day.
  • bass-erific.
  • I'm willing to bet an equivalent product will come out for Android if the watch is successful.

• Looks pretty ghetto and laggy. Also, if the date and time isn't always on, it's worthless.
  • Looks pretty ghetto and laggy. Also, if the date and time isn't always on, it's worthless.
    That's asking rather a lot. I'm not sure how much battery life you could squeeze out of a watch if a display was always active. Maybe with OLEDs or ePaper...

Also, I'm saddened by the notion that I will need to replace my timepieces with a Smartwatch. I really like proper watches.
    That's asking rather a lot. I'm not sure how much battery life you could squeeze out of a watch if a display was always active. Maybe with OLEDs or ePaper...

Also, I'm saddened by the notion that I will need to replace my timepieces with a Smartwatch. I really like proper watches.
    Skip a couple generations and you'll be able to go full heads up display without any sort of goggles.

Also for random comments:

"If our greatest failure as a civilization is trying and failing to build a base on the moon, I'm totally fine with that."

• I went to their website and saw in their demo video people using it for speakerphone.

I can only think of Dick Tracy.
  • Somepony must have initiated Winter Wrap-up early here. Its nearly 70.
  • Oh mans. If you're in NYC, you should definitely try out Yoshi Sushi. It's the best sushi I've had (so far) in the city.

Disclaimer: I just finished eating some, and I had it yesterday for lunch as well. Also once last week. The quality is consistent and good, but my judgement might be biased because I can still taste it on my tongue.
  • Somepony must have initiated Winter Wrap-up early here. Its nearly 70.
    Same here. We saw gangstas dancing outside today, we decided it was WINTA WRAP-UP, BITCHHESSS.
  • Winter Wrap-Up requires there to be winter to wrap-up, but there was no winter to begin with. It just went from fall to spring with nothing in between.
  • Winter Wrap-Up requires there to be winter to wrap-up, but there was no winter to begin with. It just went from fall to spring with nothing in between.
    Welcome to weather in southern California.

• edited February 2012
    Winter Wrap-Up requires there to be winter to wrap-up, but there was no winter to begin with. It just went from fall to spring with nothing in between.
    HEAVEN. ON. EARTH.

Though, if it could just go Fall > Spring > Fall > etc.. I would be happy. Hell, just get rid of Spring entirely! Beautiful red leaves and temperate climate FO EVA.

(EDIT: Yes I am aware that this is the weather in the Bay Area. Yes I want to move back there eventually. That is all.)
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Just made my status winter wrap-up related. Two unexpected people liked it. Oblivious normies or secret bronies?
  • I just discovered that John St John is in Star Trek Online, as a Klingon.
  • It's much harder to write on a board than your usual horizontal piece of whatever.
  • I think I sneezed so hard something came loose inside of me.
    Well pop the hood and take a look.
  • In my phone's equalizer options, there is a switch for countering volume compression. It sounds pretty nice to have songs range from quiet to loud again, but electronic music sounds weird.
  • Today I learned that I'm really just not that big a fan of chanting. After spending two hours in a kirtan session, I now wish I could have spent one of those hours doing something more interesting. I did really like the music, but only for the first 3 minutes of each song. Dragging it out to 10-15 minutes just kills my interest.
  • +2 to open_sketchbook.

Also, it's windy as heck outside. I could feel it on my car as I drove to work this morning. At least it's not raining.
  • Why am I getting points?