This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• You've gotta be kidding. That may as well be Guns of Icarus early alpha footage.
  • I saw that shit on IndieDB and was like, dogg, are you for real?

Also, the physics in the trailers looks hilarious.
  • A quick Google search reveals that it's a remake of a game that was an Unreal mod from 2004, so...
  • edited December 2012
    [shroom opinions]
    I've had similar experiences with huge amounts of THC (talking 2g of hash in Amsterdam within one hour). I enjoyed it, and it was intriguing, but there is just so much more I can do and think about and talk about when I'm sober. I don't particularly like being incredibly intoxicated, and I don't find any insight in thoughts I've had while high that aren't totally blown out of the water by stuff I think while I'm sober.

Also, why isn't it fucking INCREDIBLE that everything is a chemical reaction? Your brain is such an amazingly complex computer that we can't even simulate it. Your fucking eyes turn light into pulses of electricity that your brain can turn into pleasure when you look at beautiful art. How is that not the greatest thing in the world? I listen to music every day and sometimes just fucking cry over how good it is. I've had to put down Infinite Jest because it makes me heartsick and overwhelmed. My argument isn't that the chemistry makes it boring, but rather that I find the chemistry more fascinating than the trip, and that there are these incredibly complex and beautiful things that I can only hope to really understand through the lens of sobriety.

Don't get it twisted; I'm not condemning intoxicants or those that use them. I get it. I drink (mostly a little, sometimes a LOT), I've taken my legally-prescribed xanax for reasons other than a panic attack, I've smoked a dozen cigarettes while drunk, I've smoked untoward amounts of hash and pot in weird corners of the world. Sometimes I've done all those things at once! I just don't find that there's anything drugs can really teach or show me when there is so much beauty and wonder in things I can never hope to understand while intoxicated.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Yep. They didn't steal Guns of Icarus' idea, not at all. The game plays VERY differently from Guns. I played it a little back in beta, and it was alright. I preferred it to Guns, honestly.

• The trailer didn't look that much like GoI to me based on the trailer. It looked like groups on individual ships were larger and I didn't see players piloting the ships. It also looked like it led to ground combat.
  • Hey man, more power to ya. That's a healthy outlook, no doubt about it. I can't even find anything to disagree with. As I said (in an indirect sort of way), drugs aren't useful to me for understanding the outside world. They have helped me understand myself; how all of those incomprehensibly complex chemical pathways in my brain come together as if by magic to form a mind that I don't fully understand yet. The philosopher and the artist in me have found them useful, if not the scientist.
  • I just quoted Mobile Fighter Gundam in a semi-relevant fashion. My character's hands are on fire now.
  • I played Air Buccaneers back in 2004 when it was an Unreal Tournament 2004 mod. It remains one of the greatest online FPS experiences I ever had. Whilst it is technically possible to engage in ground combat, there's very little incentive to do so. Upon boarding an enemy balloon, the melee combat is a blast yet the real fun lies in a (good) crew carrying out an attack against enemy balloons whilst dodging cannonballs.

I pray that this new iteration can capture the magic of the original; I don't want a Tribes 2 fiasco all over again!
  • edited December 2012
    I'm pretty sure she meant a college to educate students in how to be criminals. We were talking about drug dealers and such, and I remarked how I found it funny that people often say how crime doesn't pay, but we generally only have the ones that get caught as examples.

Hmm, I wonder if we could become create a podcast series and get it on Itunes U as "college courses."
    If you want to go all "clean" with that idea, you could probably cover a lot of educational material just putting it into the criminal perspective. Economics and business management with drug dealing, anatomy with murder, engineering and terrorism, uhhhmm finance vs. money laundering.

But, you know, you "dogs" may thing that's "whack".
    Jeff Smith: Lessons in business … from prison
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Nanoha proves friendship is magic.
  • I just found out Unity can take data from a sound file as it plays and write it as values which can be used for other things. I have plans for this...
  • I just found out Unity can take data from a sound file as it plays and write it as values which can be used for other things. I have plans for this...
    Yeah, it's called programming. You can tell the computer what to do with data.
  • Despite my best attempts, I can't write computerspeak worth beans, so my understanding of the limitations and abilities of engines is rather abstract. Fortunately, I don't have to know this shit, I just have to point my trained attack coder at things and let him have at it. It's just really helpful when I know something is easily doable before I ask him for stuff.
  • edited December 2012
    Despite my best attempts, I can't write computerspeak worth beans, so my understanding of the limitations and abilities of engines is rather abstract. Fortunately, I don't have to know this shit, I just have to point my trained attack coder at things and let him have at it. It's just really helpful when I know something is easily doable before I ask him for stuff.
    Here is some python code:
    file = open("/path/to/your/youraudiofile.wav", 'r')
    data = file.read()
    do_something_magical_with(data)
    It's all 0s and 1s.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • ugh, I hope you don't use underscores for methods in real code.
  • edited December 2012
    ugh, I hope you don't use underscores for methods in real code.
    http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/

"Use the function naming rules: lowercase with words separated by underscores as necessary to improve readability."
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited December 2012
    ಠ_ಠ

Python has weird naming conventions.

http://javascript.crockford.com/code.html
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/ms229045(v=vs.100).aspx
    http://google-styleguide.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/cppguide.xml#General_Naming_Rules

Google just says use whatever is agreed on, fall back on "_". I agree that everyone needs to go with what is agreed on of course, but I would disagree on the readability of using underscores.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Google C++ style guide also recommends readability over compactness.
  • ugh, I hope you don't use underscores for methods in real code.
    Ugh, you don't?
  • edited December 2012
    Google just says use whatever is agreed on, fall back on "_".
    I completely agree with Google there.
  • ಠ_ಠ

Python has weird naming conventions.

http://javascript.crockford.com/code.html
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/ms229045(v=vs.100).aspx
    http://google-styleguide.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/cppguide.xml#General_Naming_Rules

Google just says use whatever is agreed on, fall back on "_". I agree that everyone needs to go with what is agreed on of course, but I would disagree on the readability of using underscores.
    From the third link you posted:

"Regular functions have mixed case; accessors and mutators match the name of the variable: MyExcitingFunction(), MyExcitingMethod(), my_exciting_member_variable(), set_my_exciting_member_variable()."
  • edited December 2012
    I don't necessarily disagree with using underscores but when you are using them all over the place and using 4-5 in a method name then you might want to reconsider either the names you are using or your conventions for naming.

I'm aware of what Google says I looked at it man.
  • Watching coders fight on an internet forum is funny.
  • I don't necessarily disagree with using underscores but when you are using them all over the place and using 4-5 in a method name then you might want to reconsider either the names you are using or your conventions for naming.
    Read dis book

Code Complete: A Practical Handbook of Software Construction, Second Edition
  • edited December 2012
    I don't necessarily disagree with using underscores but when you are using them all over the place and using 4-5 in a method name then you might want to reconsider either the names you are using or your conventions for naming.
    I don't get why you brought that up; the issue of having 5-6 word names has nothing to do with underscores.
  • edited December 2012
    I don't get why you brought that up; the issue of having 5-6 word names has nothing to do with underscores.
    Sorry I meant 4-5 underscores.
  • edited December 2012
    Yes, and underscores go between words. The problem is the words, not the underscores.
  • edited December 2012
    Like I'm not disagreeing on the use of underscores, I'm just saying that you should first and foremost follow whats agreed upon and second refer to the standards for that language. If Microsoft says avoid underscores when writing C# code and you insist on using them then I'm going to be annoyed. 1) I don't find that underscores makes the code any more readable and 2) It's more difficult for people who expect those naming conventions from the language.
  • See this is exactly what I am talking about. I have no interest in the relative merits of underscores verus non-underscores. What I do have interest in is using visual reinforcement to music in order to increase the perceived tempo of play and draw attention to visual markers within a shooter environment. The computer-y people can figure out the deets regarding ellipses and punctuation.