This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• For some reason the forum is narkibg the most recent thread read, even though it hasn't been read.
  • Pegu said:

For some reason the forum is narkibg the most recent thread read, even though it hasn't been read.

That's a bug in Vanilla if you necro a thread from before Vanilla 2.0, it won't be marked as unread, but it will be bumped to the front page.
  • 3E had no more "role playing" in it than 4E...
  • Rym said:

3E had no more "role playing" in it than 4E...

It's a talking point. When you're someone who's used to debating between 3rd and 4th, it's kinda reflex.
  • Okay, so I don't like eating. It hasn't been something that's been pleasant for me, because I quite easily get overwhelmed by flavors, due to a neurological condition I have. So I hate it when people who know me well enough to know that try to talk food to me. I get that it's something you like, but your leaving me with very little to say. I don't talk music to people who don't speak music, so why do you speak food to me?
  • Rym said:

3E had no more "role playing" in it than 4E...

3E was still wicked fun for a dungeon crawl. D&D ain't for talking.
  • It's for convincing an evil cabala that you accidentally mistook their secret entrance for the bathroom.
  • Found this wonderful ignorant gem in my Facebook feed today.

"I take all scientific studies and findings very skeptically. Today we are told one thing is good and tomorrow it is bad. Science is very objective and often slanted by those funding the studies. You have your opinion and I have mine..."
  • I hope you un-friended that person.
  • The thing that bothers me most about that isn't even the content -- it's the blatant misuse of the word objective. I don't mind when people are stupid, only when they can't properly express their stupidity.
  • Not my friend thankfully.
  • Speaking of Facebook, FB friending your teachers can lead to interesting insights on them. Right now, my 10th grade English teacher (for both times I took it) is talking about a film from her college years. The key sentence in the thread is " I'm hoping it's grainy enough for plausible deniability."

I can't really say that I'm surprised, but I am thoroughly amused.
  • I'm seriously considering how much I'd need to partner with someone to open up a franchise.

How long would I need to be overseas to make selling my car worth it?
  • edited August 2014
    So apparently Joe Biden introduced this into the omnibus crime bill of 1991?
    "It is the sense of Congress that providers of electronic communications services and manufacturers of electronic communications service equipment shall ensure that communications systems permit the government to obtain the plain text contents of voice, data, and other communications when appropriately authorized by law"
    Edit: It took me a while to find an official citation but here it is.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • edited August 2014
    I used to be obsessed with knowing the truth. It's still important to me, of course, but lately I have found myself caring less and less about whether or not spiritual and philosophical ideas are true. The older I get the more I want to believe what is most useful to me and those around me or, if it's useless anyway, whatever is most interesting at the time.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • To add to your post there, I was reading about the origins and fate of the universe today, only to be suddenly reeling as if floating over a void of oblivion. I was sitting in my chair but physically felt a sense of vertigo and falling, at not being able to answer 'why is there anything, a universe at all, what mechanism would be in place that justifies ANY existence where these grand mechanisms even would be?

I started imagining what the opposite of a universe would be, a nothing; but without a something to compare it to is the absence of the universe, the nothing of before or after or outside a universe, different than a lack of existence? An un-anything? How does one even comprehend the void that isn't a void because to be a void would imply existence?

It tripped me up. Because I can't know. We just aren't set to know and it's not likely to be possible to know.

I had to start thinking bout other things just to feel grounded again. It was a bizarre precipice to be at in the mind.
  • Everyone has their own method of connecting with the eternal. Trying on different methods of coping with the incomprehensibility of it all, to me, illustrates the commonalities in human nature through the contrast in their methods and descriptions. We're all pointing at the same thing in different directions. It has made certain conversations with religious folk way more interesting and productive. Taoism and science are still my favorite ways to filter reality, though.
  • edited August 2014
    Bankers get really sketched out when punk kids come in with checks for $5000.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • I know this will sound like I'm drinking the kool-aid at work, but I seriously enjoy what I do. There are times where I'm in awe of veterans when I read their service records. Some are just so fucking hardcore in what they did the service. Some are just heartbreaking. I wish I could talk about them, but I can't/shouldn't.

I love knowing that what I'm doing will hopefully help this veteran get the benefits they deserve.
  • You're doing well doing good. Nothing wrong with being happy about that, Ro. :)
  • I can proudly say today was the day I nerfed hats.
  • For some reason newegg sent me gain detergent samples with an SSD I bought for a friend.
  • Any campaign to get nerds to wash, I'm on board with... :-P
  • I really like the muzak versions of (mostly) pop songs that are played in Japanese supermarkets.
  • I have no idea why people see a bookshelf full of overpriced dead tree that continues to break apart when they read it as better than an e-ink reader.
    One person I met actually think published newspapers are a better source of news than the Internet.
  • People who generally have series of books use them as talking points as well. You have people come over to your house, they see you read a book, then you start a conversation about it. You also don't need batteries to read a regular book.
  • MATATAT said:

People who generally have series of books use them as talking points as well. You have people come over to your house, they see you read a book, then you start a conversation about it. You also don't need batteries to read a regular book.

I feel as if the same argument could be made for VHS tapes.
  • edited August 2014
    Not really. VHS tapes would be closer to an e-reader. You need a device to read the tapes. You don't need anything to read a paper book except light.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I don't have an e-reader because I'm given so many dead tree books that I never have to buy any (non-audio) books. And if I did read more books than that, I would still use dead tree books, but they'd be ones from the library. Buying an e-reader and e-books just doesn't make sense when there are so many dead tree books freely available to me.