This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• I forget about the automatic embedding format thing Vanilla does. If you click on the date portion, you can read the entire chain of comments/responses/tweets for the entire conversation.
  • Academic seems more appropriate than anything. I don't see how this relates to any profession, unless he was making games.
  • I believe he is.
  • RymRym
    edited November 2014
    PAX never had non-professional/industry panels until very recently. I also am technically a videogame industry professional, and not just for GeekNights. I even have business cards for that.

I also lecture extensively for work at the kinds of conferences that most of you would pay NOT to attend. ;^) At the last few, I spoke about game design and how it relates to market regulation.

http://www.fix-events.com/australia/Agenda.aspx
    http://www.fix-events.com/Singapore/Agenda.aspx

My audiences there are actual regulators and government representatives primarily.

In one of my jobs, I am the global Product Manager. I design the core systems and tools that the company uses and sells. I design regulatory analytics and frameworks. A good deal of this is in the form of software with various complex user interfaces. It's all a feedback loop of users (players) and the UXs I design.

Typically, when someone says "in my professional opinion," they mean that they will stand behind what they said as a representative of their profession, or that it is their "official" opinion so related. For example, I have a good number of personal opinions about drug laws and foreign policy, but they are entirely orthogonal to my professional capacities and I do not mix them.

A "professional opinion" for financials or games is something I would express in that context. I wouldn't share a personal opinion on stage at a financial show. That's the primary difference. A professional opinion is something I would openly state in the context of one or more of my real jobs, to my employer or as a representative of my employer.

But lately, almost all of my lectures in finance have been in relation to video game design and production.

Professional opinion: Nintendo has fared poorly with the Wii-U to date at least in part due to poor marketing and an inability to differentiate it from the previous Wii to uninformed demographics.

Personal opinion: Nintendo no longer makes many good games.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Rochelle said:

I believe he is.

I am the Executive Producer for Date Nighto.

• RymRym
    edited November 2014
    Oh, I'm also speaking at CHIFOO next year as a UX expert.
    http://www.chifoo.org/index.php/chifoo/events_detail/online_story-driven_games/
    Post edited by Rym on
  • What does the word "naked" add to variable reward schedule?
  • HMTKSteve said:

What does the word "naked" add to variable reward schedule?

It's not even obscured or obfuscated in any way. Semi-random loot drops of variable value? At least hide that shit, or dress it up. Abstract the concept at least a little.

• Rym said:

HMTKSteve said:

What does the word "naked" add to variable reward schedule?

It's not even obscured or obfuscated in any way. Semi-random loot drops of variable value? At least hide that shit, or dress it up. Abstract the concept at least a little.
    I assume you are talking about level progress bars. However, what about a game like Binding of Isaac, which basically functions exclusively on expectations. In every Floor there's a Treasure Room giving you an item, and if you beat the boss of the Floor you get another item. Is that "unethical"?
  • Binding of Issac, being single-player, has a discrete end (you either die, ending the game, or "beat" the game). The rewards are a fixed schedule, not a variable one (at least not in any meaningful way). You can't seek more drops except by playing a discrete game again, and the loot/reward is non-persistent. It also has no Kampu-Gacha elements really.
  • It's really the unending aspect that is most egregious and unethical. A disguised variable schedule in a game with a definite end can add some variety and replayability. The finite end gives you a sense of closure and completion. In instances like that, inducing the agitated exploration state is part of the experience, and allowing it to resolve creates a positive experience.

But the eternally-dangled carrot that you can never actually catch leaves you feeling frustrated and dissatisfied, and will never allow it to stop.

Just like a junkie will never recapture that first high, but they'll keep trying until they die.
  • So a game with variable rewards where the awards have no direct impact on game completion (main quest in Pokemon?) Would be ethical while a game with locked content that can only be accessed based on random variable drops (Destiny light level armor) is unethical?
  • The news that Firefox is moving to Yahoo search, made me realize I haven't used it in months. Uninstalled it.
  • I stuck with Firefox for a while because I really liked using Firebug. There are some parts of Firebug that I think are nicer but Chrome's developer tools are pretty darn good.
  • edited November 2014
    HMTKSteve said:

So a game with variable rewards where the awards have no direct impact on game completion (main quest in Pokemon?) Would be ethical while a game with locked content that can only be accessed based on random variable drops (Destiny light level armor) is unethical?

Yeah, I'd say so. It's the degree of necessity of interaction. If I can bypass the nonsense and still complete the game, that's less of a problem. Part of the nature of the problematic games is to force you into the play streams that string you along.

Destiny specifically? No idea. Haven't played it.

Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Will someone PLEASE take away Elon Musk's sci fi? My respect for the man is being eroded rapidly.
  • The projected timespan seems too short, but I think he's raising serious concerns that are worthy of public discussion.
  • Ah game theory and Economics. An Oligopoly is the Prisoner's Dilemma.
  • Why do supposedly intelligent people use Thanksgiving as an argument for immigration reform? Following the events of that day forward we have the immigrants destroying the natives and taking almost all of their land. Why would anyone see that as a positive event to tie to immigration?
  • Because 'MERICA?
  • Even if firms in an Oligopoly don't collude, I would think if both knew even the basics of game theory and the Nash Equilibrium then they can figure out separately which price point will maximize profit.
  • edited December 2014
    You learn interesting things about Jesus reading the Gospels. For example, he predicted that bigoted jerks would do foul in his name:
    "21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." (‭Matthew‬ ‭7‬:‭21-23‬ KJV)

And that he didn't want people to worship in public:
    "4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly. 5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly." (‭Matthew‬ ‭6‬:‭4-6‬ KJV)

And that he supported violent revolution:
    "21 And the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death." (‭Matthew‬ ‭10‬:‭21 KJV)
    Post edited by Greg on
  • I'm increasingly finding that I don't have patience for the resource shuffling mechanic of a lot of procedurally generated games. FTL couldn't hold my attention because that's all there is to it, and XCOM only has my attention because I love the squad-based turn based strategy game that it mainly is. I just have no tolerance for trying to figure out if I should use some resource to develop new weapons I won't be able to use because I used up that resource, or equip my soldiers with weapons they need right now but aren't as powerful.
  • I'm increasingly finding that I don't have patience for the resource shuffling mechanic of a lot of procedurally generated games. FTL couldn't hold my attention because that's all there is to it, and XCOM only has my attention because I love the squad-based turn based strategy game that it mainly is. I just have no tolerance for trying to figure out if I should use some resource to develop new weapons I won't be able to use because I used up that resource, or equip my soldiers with weapons they need right now but aren't as powerful.

What resource reliant games do you enjoy?

Is it the committed state of the path you choose with your resource choice. Is it possibly that the choice has a large bearing on what occurs in the game?

I really like this part of XCOM especially with how my decisions effect the missions and how I have to play.
  • sK0pe said:

I'm increasingly finding that I don't have patience for the resource shuffling mechanic of a lot of procedurally generated games. FTL couldn't hold my attention because that's all there is to it, and XCOM only has my attention because I love the squad-based turn based strategy game that it mainly is. I just have no tolerance for trying to figure out if I should use some resource to develop new weapons I won't be able to use because I used up that resource, or equip my soldiers with weapons they need right now but aren't as powerful.

Is it the committed state of the path you choose with your resource choice. Is it possibly that the choice has a large bearing on what occurs in the game?

I really like this part of XCOM especially with how my decisions effect the missions and how I have to play.
    I like games where the enemy is likewise constrained by the resources. Neither combatant could roll out the powerful units early, unless one gained a strategic advantage quickly. Advance Wars and Command and Conquer are my two favorite strategic series.
  • sK0pe said:

I'm increasingly finding that I don't have patience for the resource shuffling mechanic of a lot of procedurally generated games. FTL couldn't hold my attention because that's all there is to it, and XCOM only has my attention because I love the squad-based turn based strategy game that it mainly is. I just have no tolerance for trying to figure out if I should use some resource to develop new weapons I won't be able to use because I used up that resource, or equip my soldiers with weapons they need right now but aren't as powerful.

I like games where the enemy is likewise constrained by the resources. Neither combatant could roll out the powerful units early, unless one gained a strategic advantage quickly. Advance Wars and Command and Conquer are my two favorite strategic series.
    I guess with XCOM you can fall behind the aliens if you don't manage resources properly. Time itself is one of the most important resources, especially the early research. Having said that, it is important in RTS games like Command and Conquer and Starcraft. If you have your timings right and could micro well enough NOD could almost always beat GDI in early game fights.

I guess the resources are known to both sides and fair whereas the strategy you dislike is when information is hidden.
  • I think part of it is that, in Command and Conquer, I know the computer isn't playing fair with resources, but it still has to collect them. My harvester of tiberium or ore isn't as valuable as a computer's harvester of tiberium or ore, but the computer doesn't get unlimited funds without collecting. In XCOM I'm the only side that worries about resources: the aliens and EXALT don't need resources because they're just procedurally generated forces on the maps, with probably a script in the game code to indicate when they should ramp up the difficulty.
  • My sister's computer will definitely work now. Chucked in more ram, New video card, and the most important step - 90s style blood sacrifice to appease the machine gods and ensure it's proper function.
  • Tattoos are not as painful as advertised.