This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• An Apology to Street Harrassers.

Decent response to men saying they are simply "being nice" to woman on the street.
  • Apparently, the actor that plays Hodor in GoT is also a DJ.
  • Yknow, as awful and alone and helpless I feel in my current situation, I think I'm actually getting more out of it than my friends in college.
  • No offense but it sounds slightly like you're trying to justify not going to college. If you've made a decision that you are sure about you shouldn't need to justify anything.
  • I meant it less as an "I'm not going to college" thing, but rather a "even though I'm still in high school, I'm making good progress" sort of thing.
  • One of the students in a course I'm tutoring did this:
    https://www.freelancer.com/projects/Java-Machine-Learning/Bayesian-network-assignment-artificial.html?utm_campaign=latest_project_contest&utm_medium=email_notification&utm_source=project_title&utm_content=html&ttref=Project_LPCNhtml

I wonder if we will be able to pin down who did it; I guess it shouldn't be too difficult if we put a little bit of effort in.
  • One of the students in a course I'm tutoring did this:
    https://www.freelancer.com/projects/Java-Machine-Learning/Bayesian-network-assignment-artificial.html?utm_campaign=latest_project_contest&utm_medium=email_notification&utm_source=project_title&utm_content=html&ttref=Project_LPCNhtml

I wonder if we will be able to pin down who did it; I guess it shouldn't be too difficult if we put a little bit of effort in.

Even better and\or evil - take the assignment, do it, turn it in to him, take the payment, and then when it gets through, gently point out the errors of his ways.

• I think if it has already been awarded to "mingzixian523" it's too late for that.

Besides, although it's a good idea I definitely think sting operations may be a little of a grey area as far as the university's stance on ethics is concerned.
  • I think if it has already been awarded to "mingzixian523" it's too late for that.

Besides, although it's a good idea I definitely think sting operations may be a little of a grey area as far as the university's stance on ethics is concerned.

I think imparting lessons upon your charges falls well within your purview. Especially if you use the money to throw a pizza party for everyone or something I guess.

• It's really simple.

Confront the entire class. Let them know if the person who did it turns themselves in privately, that nothing will happen. If nobody turns themselves in, then cancel the assignment and make a new one for everyone to do. That person just lost all their moneys and the rest of the class hates them so much. The fear of that situation should be enough to get most people to confess.
  • edited November 2014
    If I was the lecturer and not a tutor, I'd consider it.

That said, I don't make threats that I won't follow up on if needed, and if I had the power to do it and followed up on that one it would put some students in a rather difficult position as they have exams starting from next week. It sounds like a worthwhile exercise, but it's also definitely the kind of thing that could result in complaints from students and get you in trouble with the university.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Greg said:

I meant it less as an "I'm not going to college" thing, but rather a "even though I'm still in high school, I'm making good progress" sort of thing.

Ah I see, didn't realize you were still in high school. I thought you were done or something. Your original comment makes more sense then.
  • http://www.amazon.com/oc/echo/ref_=ods_dp_ae

Amazon releases another weird thing for seemingly no reason. However its something I'm sorta interested to try.
  • edited November 2014
    MATATAT said:

http://www.amazon.com/oc/echo/ref_=ods_dp_ae

Amazon releases another weird thing for seemingly no reason. However its something I'm sorta interested to try.

That reminds me of something that was on the forum a few months back...

Jibo was it?
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • To me it looks like Siri/Google now/cortana technology that Amazon built for their Amazon Fire phones. But then nobody bought their phones. So they've repackaged it as a standalone box for homes.
  • edited November 2014

To me it looks like Siri/Google now/cortana technology that Amazon built for their Amazon Fire phones. But then nobody bought their phones. So they've repackaged it as a standalone box for homes.

More or less. I'm wondering if it can act as a smart speaker though. So I got music going and I can set timers or something to cease connection with my phone making it pause. Mostly I'm thinking of it as a use case for going to bed. That might be asking a bit much but I see a bit of potential.

Granted you can already set a "sleep timer" for music on the iPhone so having it do the heavy lifting for you is sorta pointless.

But if it could interface directly with Spotify.... oh man.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • edited November 2014
    I signed up to get one. If it really does everything that the video claims, I think it would be a great thing to have because it doesn't involve picking up a phone/remote, which is pain when I'm doing the dishes or cooking.

To me it looks like Siri/Google now/cortana technology that Amazon built for their Amazon Fire phones. But then nobody bought their phones. So they've repackaged it as a standalone box for homes.

Being an employee of the company, I can guarantee that this has been in development long before the phone came out. We don't move that fast.
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • I signed up to get one. If it really does everything that the video claims, I think it would be a great thing to have because it doesn't involve picking up a phone/remote, which is pain when I'm doing the dishes or cooking.

That's true too.

It would be kinda great to see Amazon just go the Nintendo route with all its devices. Just make like off the wall shit.
  • iPhone + AirPlay already gets me most of that. I wonder who Amazon's audience is with Echo.
  • okeefe said:

iPhone + AirPlay already gets me most of that. I wonder who Amazon's audience is with Echo.

If you ask an Amazon marketing rep, their answer would be "Everyone". And that, if not executed absolutely perfectly, is what will kill this product.
  • The conspiracy theories, unsurprisingly, have already started.
  • edited November 2014
    Please tell me people think it will spy on them, because I was jokingly calling it the Bezos Beacon at work.

We also started fabricating a story that Alexa was his daughter that he lost one stormy night on his yacht. Thrown overboard, she was lost in the raging swells of the sea. In his grief he started creating a sentient AI that would learn from the Echos. Eventually this AI would be deployed into an android body and the darkness in his heart would be lifted. But in his madness he created something powerful... too powerful for even him to contain...
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • MATATAT said:

Please tell me people think it will spy on them, because I was jokingly calling it the Bezos Beacon at work.

Absofuckingloutely. It took approximately five minutes after the announcement for people to start saying it.

• I do hope your response was:
    "Is that a microphone with an internet connection in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?"
  • Bought my Magfest pass.
  • Why do women always assume there is another women when you dump them?
  • I find it amusing that my brain seems to enjoy switching between "Oh, shit" and "Eh, could be worse" when it comes to my Con Law class. I think it keeps forgetting that I'm not actually learning all that much, and remembering that I will not be able to take anything into the exam besides my laptop.
  • HMTKSteve said:

Why do women always assume there is another women when you dump them?

Because the problem is NEVER with THEM. It MUST be the doing of another WOMAN.
  • Men do the same shit and or worse shit.