This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• edited March 2015
    Neito said:

Dunno what it says about me, but my first thought on both of those was "Shit, someone died".

Same.

"If you download some K-On songs and close your eyes, you can make believe that you're actually there, in the anime, jamming with the band. Immersive." -- review of Rocksmith 2014
    Post edited by Banta on
  • First one: Poisoned her greaser boyfriend.
    Second one: Deploying flash-bang!
  • edited March 2015
    I did not know that Sid Meier was the actual programmer / developer of the Civilization games but wasn't on board for Civilization V or Beyond Earth (yet is the designer of Starships).
    I feel silly lol.
    Edit: Also that what you do in Beyond Earth can be persistent into Starships (i.e. various relations with other Civilizations and how you finished Beyond Earth port over to your Starships game).
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • Woke up at 2am to a Mr. Rogers video on reddit; oh, but did that turn into an hour of very strong feels.
  • First one: film noir murder.
    Second one: film noir murder.
  • Ohio has a surprising number of Confederate flags.
  • Ikatono said:

Ohio has a surprising number of Confederate flags.

Any place that isn't New York is unsurprisingly horrifying.
  • I've been here 2 months and it's all confederate flags and camouflage. Also, I assume you mean NYC and not the whole state.
  • More people in the world mean the City of New York when they say "New York" than mean the state of New York.
  • It's pretty accurate - I can't think of a time where someone was speaking about New York state without referring to it as such, but everybody knows the city.

I do get a bit of a giggle when New Yorkers brag about being a global city, though. My city's a global city, and most Americans can't even name it. Except the ones in California. Specifically Brisbane, California.
  • I'm convinced that New Yorkers reproduce by talking incessantly about how important New York is.
  • Churba said:

It's pretty accurate - I can't think of a time where someone was speaking about New York state without referring to it as such, but everybody knows the city.

I do get a bit of a giggle when New Yorkers brag about being a global city, though. My city's a global city, and most Americans can't even name it. Except the ones in California. Specifically Brisbane, California.

Brisb'n
  • Churba said:

It's pretty accurate - I can't think of a time where someone was speaking about New York state without referring to it as such, but everybody knows the city.

Brisb'n
    Oh dear, he knows the way. I was expecting a BRIS -
    type joke.
  • Neito said:

I'm convinced that New Yorkers reproduce by talking incessantly about how important New York is.

HE KNOWS!

• Neito said:

I'm convinced that New Yorkers reproduce by talking incessantly about how important New York is.

As a New Yorker in training, I can confirm this.
  • Without knowing why they brought the flag why suspend them? They could just be really devoted fans of the Dukes of Hazard.
  • Apreche said:

Cremlian said:
    Yes, suspended indefinitely. In Alabama, they'd be given an award.
    And to think people believe that Northerners have superiority complex and New Yorkers are out of touch with the rest of the world...
  • Greg said:

Apreche said:

Cremlian said:
    And to think people believe that Northerners have superiority complex and New Yorkers are out of touch with the rest of the world...
    Yes, when one group of people is far more advanced and superior than another, you can truthfully accuse either of being out of touch with the other.
  • Apreche said:

Greg said:

Apreche said:

Cremlian said:
    Yes, when one group of people is far more advanced and superior than another, you can truthfully accuse either of being out of touch with the other.
    That's some Southern plantation logic right there.
  • Churba said:

New York and London are alone in the top category of global cities, in that they share distinct features apart from every other city in the world.

Brisbane is a Beta Global City currently.

Alpha++
    London
    New York City

Defined as "vastly more integrated with the global economy than all other cities."

Alpha+
    Hong Kong
    Paris
    Singapore
    Shanghai
    Tokyo
    Beijing
    Sydney
    Dubai

"complement London and New York City by filling advanced service niches for the global economy."

Alpha
    Chicago
    Mumbai
    Milan
    Moscow
    São Paulo
    Frankfurt
    Toronto
    Los Angeles
    Madrid
    Mexico City
    Amsterdam
    Lumpur
    Brussels

"cities that link major economic regions into the world economy."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city
  • Oooh, the top 10.

Rank 2014, Change, City, Rating

1 Steady United States New York City 61.7
    2 Steady United Kingdom London 58.1
    3 Steady France Paris 52.3
    4 Steady Japan Tokyo 47.2
    5 Steady Hong Kong Hong Kong 41.3
    6 Steady United States Los Angeles 38.0
    7 Steady United States Chicago 36.8
    8 Increase China Beijing 35.1
    9 Increase Singapore Singapore 34.3
    10 Steady United States Washington, D.C. 33.4

Ranked instead by global economic power:

Rank City Score
    1 United States New York City 48
    2 United Kingdom London 43
    3 Japan Tokyo 37
    4 Hong Kong Hong Kong 25
    4 France Paris 25
    6 United States Chicago 20
    7 Singapore Singapore 15
    8 China Shanghai 11
    9 United States Los Angeles 10
    10 Switzerland Zürich 9
  • edited March 2015
    How is Tokyo not a mega city?

Edit: never mind, different terms.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • HMTKSteve said:

Population has little to do with the indices. It's about interconnectedness, global reach, economic impact, and cosmopolitan culture.

• W00t Beta+ Philly :-p
  • HMTKSteve said:

Lack of Judges.

• By the metrics of what New York and London are focused on, NY and London are the leaders?
  • Have you been to London! Its a shithole, nothing works, piss everywhere and it costs an arm and a leg to do anything. The only saving grace is its architecture and museums. Every friend of mine that has moved to "LAndAn" as they call it has turned into a stonking great hippster nob.
  • RymRym
    edited March 2015
    Omnutia said:

By the metrics of what New York and London are focused on, NY and London are the leaders?

Well, I could summarize that whole wikipedia article and the cited papers for you if you don't want to read it. ;^)

What it comes down to, fundamentally, are things like

1. How economically connected is the city to the world relative to other cities? By comparison, how connected is it to its own country?

New York and London's economies are more affected by eachother than by most events or economies within their own countries. New York and London interact more like nations than cities from an economic standpoint.

New York and London rise and fall on their own, largely independent of even very geographically near trends.

2. How cosmopolitan and global is the population, trade, and culture? Major cities like Tokyo are very uniform culturally in comparison to cities like London and New York.

3. How wide are these cities' economic nets? New York and London have hugely diverse trade, commerce, and industry. Most cities, even in the highest population tiers, have a small number of globally-reaching niche industries or connections. Moscow links Russia to the world economy, but itself doesn't produce much activity. New York interacts as itself more than as a representative of local economic activity.

Wikipedia has a pretty good summary of the generally agreed upon definition of a global city, as well as the indicators used:

-A variety of international financial services

-Headquarters of several multinational corporations

-The existence of financial headquarters, a stock exchange and major financial institutions

-Domination of the trade and economy of a large surrounding area

-Major manufacturing centres with port and container facilities

-Considerable decision-making power on a daily basis and at a global level

-Centres of new ideas and innovation in business, economics, culture and politics

-Centres of media and communications for global networks

-Dominance of the national region with great international significance

-High percentage of residents employed in the services sector and information sector

-High-quality educational institutions, including renowned universities, international student attendance[8] and research facilities

-Multi-functional infrastructure offering some of the best legal, medical and entertainment facilities in the country

London and New York stand apart in that they are so far beyond every other city in the world in these "categories."

I knew a professor who studied urban populations primarily, herself a student of some of the more important minds on the subject. There was a very real sense from her that New York and London are aberrations, maybe even to the point that we need a word other than "city" to describe them. They're categorically distinct from basically ANY perspective in relation to other cities.

Not necessarily "better" or "worse," but definitely and undeniably categorically distinct.
    Post edited by Rym on