This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

8 bacon cheeseburgers in 8 days

Comments

• Cafe Maya owns all.
    Cafe Maya was better than any of the good Mexican food I've had in Mexico or Arizona.
  • >east coasters talking about Mexican food
    Bone Garden Cantina owns all.
  • They're primarily a Midwest chain, but LaBamba Burritos are the shiz. Their slogan of "Burritos as big as your head" is no lie and you totally get your money's worth.

As for the whole "bring 30 Chipotle burritos with you" thing: if my math is right, based on local prices, if you just get 30 straight-up chicken burritos and nothing else it'd come up to almost $180 before taxes. Now don't get me wrong, I love my friends, but in the grand scheme of things if I was going to be bringing food to a general get-together (i.e. game night) I'm thinking a couple cases of sliders or a couple dozen doughnuts is going to be the order of the day.
  • They're primarily a Midwest chain, butLaBamba Burritosare the shiz. Their slogan of "Burritos as big as your head" is no lie and you totally get your money's worth.
    But my head is freaking big, will they prove it?
  • edited September 2010
    >east coasters talking about Mexican food
    Fact. Chicago, LA, and Arizona will always have this.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • But my head is freaking big, will they prove it?
    Last time I ate there the burrito was about the size of a steak plate - a little over a foot long and about eight inches across. It's definitely a burrito you sit down and eat with a knife and fork.
  • Champaign-Urbana's La Bamba closed. A nearby Chipotle and Qdoba put it out of business. T_T
  • edited September 2010
    Champaign-Urbana's La Bamba closed. A nearby Chipotle and Qdoba put it out of business. T_T
    *Cue Vader FX* NNNNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Dang. If the Garcia's Pizza by the Slice closes down then that'll be all of my favorite eateries up there gone like dust in the wind.

EDIT: Did both of the LaBambas close? The website shows two different locations.
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • edited September 2010
    The one on 6th (read: the campus one) closed for sure. I'm never out by Mattis. Garcia's restaurant area closed, but it moved to an upstairs restaurant space at the County Market, with almost all of its "walls" being glass windows facing the street (the one that isn't is the balcony railing facing the market). Papa Del's and Rosati's are around, and they still serve mean Chicago-style.

I don't know when you were last in Champaign-Urbana, but some new (or preexisting but more obscure) food options are here that are totally awesome. Black Dog Smoke and Alehouse in Urbana has the best barbecue I've ever had in my entire life; their smokehouse makes an entire square block of Urbana smell like charred mesquite, even in winter. Carmon's is dishing out some AWESOME authentic Brittany plates, and Radio Maria does pretty awesome Spanish food.

For cheap eats, Zorba's, Ziggy's, Big Mouths, Sushi Rock ($9 for three days worth of Korean food!), and Bombay Indian Grill aren't going anywhere. Also, there's a new place on Green called the Beef Stand, which is open till three AM and serves killer Chicago dogs and sandwiches. And Murphy's is always around for a good burger with a side of drunken debauchery.
  • Guten Tag Herr Luke, or anyone else that know good burgers in NYC. Which burger place is closest to the MoCCA? 594 Broadway, Suite 401 (btwn. Houston and Prince). I am thinking that we should go to Schnipper’s. Yeah or nay?
  • I would recommend Bare Burger, there is one by NYU just north of Houston (535 Laguardia Pl.)
  • That one is super good.
  • edited July 2011
    There is a Five Napkin Burger going in a block away from my apartment in ATL, and it looks like there are several locations in NYC. Any New Yorkers know if it's any good?
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I very much like it. The guys went there last night.
  • Where do you guys rank HB Burger? That's the only New York burger place I've been, unless you're counting Five Guys but we have those in Connecticut, and I thought it was pretty good. The only complaint is the burgers were a little small considering the price. It's on 127 W 43rd St so it is right near where you guys work (one of you worked near Times Square, I believe)
  • edited July 2011
    Five Guys definitely does not count. As for HB, I've never actually had the burger there but I love going there for beers.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • edited July 2011
    You missed the Five Napkin burger (so called because it requires the use of five napkins). You have made a grave oversight.
    There is a Five Napkin Burger going in a block away from my apartment in ATL, and it looks like there are several locations in NYC. Any New Yorkers know if it's any good?
    It's easily one of the best hamburgers I've ever had.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on

• We'll start up a paypal donation fund to buy you new pants.
    Not necessary
    First time going there I get food poisoning. I'm sticking with the food cart burritos, they are way better and better portioned.
  • There is a Five Guys over here. I plan on checking it out today to see what all the hubbub is about. I go in with no expectations.
  • There is a Five Guys over here. I plan on checking it out today to see what all the hubbub is about. I go in with no expectations.
    Better than anything considered "fast food." Not better than anything considered a "great burger."
  • Get the cajun fries and apply malt vinegar.
  • Get the cajun fries and apply malt vinegar.
  • I'm slowly being convinced by my time in the UK that malt and salt is the only proper condiment for chips, with the sole exception being McDonald's fries, which require Heinz ketchup?
  • I'd agree if not for the scarcity of malt vinegar on most places. If they're coming home, absolutely, otherwise, Heinz ketchup.
  • Don't forget the mayo.
  • edited February 2012
    @Ruffas: Maybe I'll add a 4oz flask of malt vin to my magic bag.
    Don't forget the mayo.
    Also this. The Geordies are fond of garlic mayo, curry sauce, or sweet and sour. All three are excellent options that I haven't really seen in the US.

The Netherlands exposed me to putting spicy Thai peanut sauce on fries. And in croquettes, with chicken (Thanks, Fedo!). The Dutch never cease to bewilder me with their genius.

Basically, what I'm getting at is that the US is absurdly limited in its fry condiment options for a nation that wolfs down more fries than anyone else.
  • The atmosphere was obnoxious with the blaring music. The burgers are good, the Cajun fries with vinegar are delicious.
  • The atmosphere was obnoxious with the blaring music. The burgers are good, the Cajun fries with vinegar are delicious.
    I like the free peanuts.

• The music must vary from place to place. It's never been anything like blaring at the ones I've been to. And the free peanuts are nice.
  • My local Five Guys back in the States is a pretty chill place. No music, just employees joking with customers and shooting the shit, and the sound of people chatting. It's a nice place to grab a burger and chill, or to go there with your stupid friends and invent a food challenge to conquer.