This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Why do you eat meat?

Comments

• Is there anything else to thanksgiving other than eating copious amounts of food, specifically turkey?
  • Does there need to be?
  • four pages in, not read all this.

What's the consensus?
  • The majority agree that meat tastes good. That's all I've gathered.
  • Ah Luke/lackofcheese, thanks for that.

I read the first page and this page before noticing my lunch hour running out, sadly I've let everyone down by having a cheese savoury sandwich...
  • four pages in, not read all this.

What's the consensus?
    Vat-grown meat will solve all problems. And Thanksgiving is the best holiday known to man.
  • Vat-grown meat will solve all problems. And Thanksgiving is the best holiday known to man.
    Except for the anniversary of the day when vat-grown meat becomes widely available. It shall be known as meats-giving.
  • Vat-grown meat will solve all problems. And Thanksgiving is the best holiday known to man.
    Except for the anniversary of the day when vat-grown meat becomes widely available. It shall be known as meats-giving.
    That's true, hopefully it won't be during the Fall or Winter Seasons, so half of American won't suffer from food-induced comas.

My Thanksgiving was rather normal...I have a fantastic grandmother. Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, Squash Au Gratin, Green Beans, Sauerkraut, Two kinds of Stuffing, Gravy, Cranberry Slaw, Pumpkin Pie, Peanut Butter Fudge and Pecan-Fudge Pie. It's odd, because I'm getting a free turkey thanks to my supermarket, so me and my brother are gonna take our own swing at making a turkey sometime next week. Wish us luck!
  • It shall be known as meats-giving.
    Also known as "Brazilian Steakhouse Day."
  • It'll be weird when they manage that. Fugu in the supermarket, cross breed different animal protiens for new meats and bringing back extinct animals for dinosaur steaks.

Stranger still is that it will probably be closely related to developing artificial organs.
  • cross breed different animal protiens for new meats
    It doesn't work like that.
    Stranger still is that it will probably be closely related to developing artificial organs.
    It will work like that.
  • I hear getting just that little bit of poison, but not enough to kill you, is part of the experience with fugu.
  • It has a knumbing effect. The way it kills you is it knumbs your lungs and heart to the point that they stop working. Only way you survive it is to keep them going artificially.

Gotta stop binging on Wikipedia.
  • It has a knumbing effect. The way it kills you is it knumbs your lungs and heart to the point that they stop working. Only way you survive it is to keep them going artificially.
    I still like my idea of making anyone who wants certification to prepare fugu, as a final test, prepare a dish of fugu and then eat it. If they survive then they're good to go.
  • In the last 10 years, there have been 12 fugu related deaths and 11 were due to fishermen eating their catch.
  • In the last 10 years, there have been 12 fugu related deaths and 11 were due to fishermen eating their catch.
    Admittedly, most deaths due to fugu poisoning are indeed from people preparing it themselves rather than going to a restaurant. But still. Just the idea amuses me.
  • edited November 2010
    What you want to do, is do that to people who are completely untrained.

Or do the "You have one month to train your only child in the way of preparing fugu.".
    Post edited by Omnutia on
    Nope - it's Tetrodotoxin, a very potent neurotoxin. It doesn't numb you, it paralyses you. And then, fully aware, you suffocate.
  • That's what I would have said if it wasn't 4am.
  • I don't know if anyone else has noticed this or if there has been a real study on it. but I've notice among those i know that those who eat meat have nice pointed canines while those who prefer vegetables over meat have duller canines.

as to why i eat meat, well i love it. honestly i know some poor animal died for my food and i do appreciate it and am thank-full for its sacrifice however nothing, and i mean nothing could stop me from eating meat. People have tried and failed. ask me during the next geek chat for the story about they vegan from toastmasters club.
  • Fail: By the time we got to the restaurant they were out of toro and Kobe beef :(
    Win: We still got some delicious Japanese cuisine anyways :P
  • I eat meat because it makes me feel better, like I said before. I have a deep and abiding aspiration to have a small farm at my home, though, where I raise all the meats I eat, humanely, ethically, and for that matter fucking pampered. I will raise the animals as my pets and make sure they have damn good lives before I eat them, in full appreciation of what I ask of them.

That, and I will hunt. Allow animals to live wild as they should, and take them in a manner that isn't at all fair, because I'm human, but that is at least as equitable and honest and quick as I can manage. Feral half-wild pigs are not only delicious, they are also a problematic pest animal up and down the West Coast. I intend to shoot some and eat delectable wild bacon, doing an ecological service and being as ethical as I can.
  • edited January 2011
    Eating meat for me is a very simple confluence:
    1) There's no reason not to, be it moral, ethical, biological or economical
    2) I want to do it

I think it breaks down that simply for most meat-eating people; we don't have any problem with it and it's something we like doing so it's done.

All of the moral arguments about animal suffering or superiority of one or another species is a false dichotomy in my mind.
    Post edited by Kaptain K on
  • If I had not already sworn off Taco Bell, hearing about this would have pushed me over the edge:

Taco Bell 'beef' may contain less then 36% meat.
  • If I had not already sworn off Taco Bell, hearing about this would have pushed me over the edge:

I saw that this morning. Yet another case of the news reporting something that I already knew a very long time ago.

If you know anything about the food industry, you know this isn't anywhere near as sinister as the article is making it out to sound. All of the "extenders" are entirely innocuous and not soylent green.

If you know anything about the food industry, you know this isn't anywhere near as sinister as the article is making it out to sound. All of the "extenders" are entirely innocuous and not soylent green.
    I know that they aren't poison/dangerous. Still doesn't mean I'm going to eat them when there is better food next door.

A friend and I went to Taco Bell out of morbid curiosity a few weeks ago. Oh, god, that was a mistake. So awful. Tasted mediocre and we both got sick pretty much right away.
    Maybe the extenders aren't sinister, but the stuff that goes in the taco is only 36% meat. What "food industry" response to you have to MEAT NOT BEING MADE OF MEAT?
  • Volcano Burritos at Taco Bell are rather godly, but it's seldom that I eat something at Taco Bell and not feel a little gross afterward.
  • If you know anything about the food industry, you know this isn't anywhere near as sinister as the article is making it out to sound. All of the "extenders" are entirely innocuous and not soylent green.
    Personally I perfer to have a smaller quantity of real meat as opposed to meat+filler.