This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Minecraft server: Secondus

edited November 2010 in Video Games
Andrew and I have decided to back up and save the original server, which was really just my level, so that instead of just tacking on to what I've built we can build one cohesive world together. The new server, which we'll be configuring this afternoon, will be quasi-RPG.

Let me clarify: We're not going to pretend to be hobbits.

The goal: To have builders spread out, create their own fortresses, dungeons, hide-y-holes, houses, farms, etc. That way we can all explore what we've all built. The concept is similar to passing around a DF game. There's no "narrative" really, except the one we bring to our world.

I plan on leaving behind artifacts and lore,treasures and traps, secrets and troves.I encourage you to do the same.

Let's keep everything in this world contextual. No big Mario statues, you know? The idea is to give everyone a reason to explore and rewards for doing so.

Join us at 71.72.32.192:25565

Comments

• Argh, I really wish I could participate but apparently my network card is too shitty to write to the server.
  • Good luck with that, I'll be interested to see if everyone ends up looking radically different due to the lack of constraints or if similar designs will emerge.
  • That "everyone does their own thing" has been the way me and my friends have been playing. everyone has their own castles, or mines or other stuff and then there are some common shared stuff, like area around (and below) spawn.
  • I don't mind starting over again.
  • I guess I'll give minecraft a go. This seems to be a weekend of trying new games anyhow.
  • I still need to buy the game. .___.
  • Is this going to be creative version or full version?
  • edited November 2010
    It's the full version.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • I think I will join in, and try to create something grand.
  • Come discover the magical Floating Gardens! The world's greatest tree house!
    If you come across this paradise, feel free to leave your mark by placing a sign within the house.
  • The Praetorian Bay is protected by the Eastern Seawatch and tower.
  • Might be a good excuse for me to buy Minecraft.
  • Might be a good excuse for me to buy Minecraft.
    I fear for my GPA and general sociability too much to give in and try it.
  • The pandora islands are a sight to see. After my farms get going I will expand west!
  • I have been shaft mining for a while, where does Sir Jason want his coal?
  • Ugh, I'm incredibly compelled to purchase this, but is it really worth the $15 price point?
  • If it isn't now, it will be eventually. So it's like you get a half good game free.
  • I will be all over this once I get home to my Minecraft-capable PC.
  • edited November 2010
    Cacti farm prep is complete. Now all I need is some cacti.

@VentureJ
    I would say it's worth it for the single player and with multi-player getting updated daily I would buy it now. I don't know if I would be willing to pay double for it once beta comes around.
    Post edited by Alan on
  • Can't connect to the server (connection refused error). Do I need to have you add me or anything?
    No, I just had it down for maintenance for 10 minutes :D

I was experimenting with server wrappers.
  • Anybody care to make a world map of the area?
  • I think I got my little spec of land that appears to be untouched built marker for me to get there for reference, only to die shortly after -_- will try again later.
  • Dare you search out the Obsidian Tower and brave its shadowy terrors?
  • :-(, I get "Disconnected by server: outdated client" when I try to log in. Anybody else get this? I'm on 1.2.4_01 on OS X.
  • edited November 2010
    :-(, I get "Disconnected by server: outdated client" when I try to log in. Anybody else get this? I'm on 1.2.4_01 on OS X.
    It's because Notch just released a mandatory bugfix and the server (not YOUR client) hasn't been updated to 0.2.6. Give it a few minutes; I worked super-late last night and super-early this morning, so I'll be home fixing it within the next 20 minutes.

Hehe, amusing edit Notch added to the fix list: Server 0.2.6_02 and client 1.2.4_01 now spawn other monsters than ONLY CREEPERS EVERYWHERE
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited November 2010
    :-(, I get "Disconnected by server: outdated client" when I try to log in. Anybody else get this? I'm on 1.2.4_01 on OS X.
    Last time this happened to me, I had to back up my saves, delete the minecraft folder, re-download the .exe and let it update.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • Server's updated.
  • Due to this thread, I have purchased Minecraft... I don't know whether to curse or congratulate the lot of you.
  • edited November 2010
    Checked the server out for the first time and it's pretty awesome. It's given me a lot of ideas for my own world.
    Post edited by Diddgery on