This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Minecraft server: Secondus

Comments

• GeoGeo
    edited November 2010
    Although this might seem like a stupid question, I really don't care because this problem I have is annoying. I'm trying to play Minecraft and I find that it lags quite a bit. Upon checking the processes section of task manager, I've found that it uses 400,000 K?! I've closed every conceivable process that both is safe to close/cannot cause system instability, yet I still have this problem? What should I do to make it run faster?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited November 2010
    Welcome to Java. Install more RAM and a better GPU.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Although this might seem like a stupid question, I really don't care because this problem I have is annoying. I'm trying to play Minecraft and I find that it lags quite a bit. Upon checking the processes section of task manager, I've found that it uses 400,000 K?! I've closed every conceivable process that both is safe to close/cannot cause system instability, yet I still have this problem? What should I do to make it run faster?
    If your computer isn't swapping, then RAM is not the issue. It's probably just that your Java isn't upgraded all the way, your computer is spywared/virused, your CPU is slow, your GPU is slow, your video driver needs updating, or many of the above.
  • Welcome to Java. Install more RAM and a better GPU.
    Danke mein herr.
  • Welcome to Java. Install more RAM and a better GPU.
    It's not a big deal, really. Java allocates the memory it might need later for better performance. This is configurable, but I wouldn't worry about it.

As Scott said, if it isn't swapping, there's no problem.
  • Thanks all, I've been having similar issues and will try these fixes after work!
  • edited November 2010
    Brought the server down for a quick upgrade and an experiment. Back by 8 p.m. EST... maybe.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited November 2010
    Server is back up after extensive testing and new OS :)

I apologize that your inventory is gone. I'll spawn some stuff to get you back on track. That stuff somehow disappeared during backups... I am confused as to how. None of the map was compromised. Anyway, I've modified the server script a little so things should run more smoothly.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • If you are libraryman, please let me know.
  • Server is back up after extensive testing and new OS :)

I apologize that your inventory is gone. I'll spawn some stuff to get you back on track. That stuff somehow disappeared during backups... I am confused as to how. None of the map was compromised. Anyway, I've modified the server script a little so things should run more smoothly.
    Do you mean our personal inventory or the inventory in our chests?

I'd check but I'm on a train right now posting from my phone.
  • Hey, this is Libraryman
  • Do you mean our personal inventory or the inventory in our chests?

I'd check but I'm on a train right now posting from my phone.
    Just your personal inventory, all of your chest contents are fine, well stored in MY chests <_
  • Yikes. It's way too laggy in it's current state. I think I'll stick to single-player for now.
  • Just bought the game tonight. I found a hill across the bay to build and Jason gave me a few basic tips on crafting and such. I'm looking forward to playing some more but now I need some sleep.
  • Damn, I logged as I was reorganising my chests and had everything in my inventory :'(
  • It seems the server has crashed.
  • Was going to say, it won't let me log in :'(
  • I am having a good time. building a temp tower by the spawn and looking to head towards the frozen tundras
  • Can anyone think of an interesting optical illusion you could do in minecraft?
  • Can anyone think of an interesting optical illusion you could do in minecraft?
    You could do the near/far trick. Is this a tiny castle that is very close or a big castle that is far away?

You could also do a trick involving hidden things. From this angle it looks like a flat stone wall, but move a little bit and you'll see it's something crazy!
    You could do the near/far trick. Is this a tiny castle that is very close or a big castle that is far away?

You could also do a trick involving hidden things. From this angle it looks like a flat stone wall, but move a little bit and you'll see it's something crazy!
    Andrew did this on the first SMP map we tried. There was a sharp corner in deep shadow, and you could only see the hidden hallway leading down a vault if you walked into the corner.
  • I clearly need a better graphics card, although the stunning vistas of the subterranean cave systems and lava deposits are quite amazing.
  • edited December 2010
    The Tower of Sol. The eastern tower of The Four Towers of Praetoria.
    Post edited by imptac on
  • Were the other ones Neptune, Lunar and Jupiter? It's been a long time since I played golden sun.
  • Were the other ones Neptune, Lunar and Jupiter? It's been a long time since I played golden sun.
    They aren't based on that. I only called it that (people liked my idea of the Four Towers) because he went to great lengths to build that globe. The other towers will be regularly named. The one I hope to build someday will be called Tower of Annuvin.
  • edited December 2010
    Much sheep punching will need to be done to gather the cloth for our moon.
    Post edited by OlympianZeus on
  • Much sheep punching will need to be done to gather the cloth for our moon.
    Just use snow.
  • Much sheep punching will need to be done to gather the cloth for our moon.
    Just use snow.
    Or steel.
  • Those are indeed better ways, thanks.
  • Hey, I've got a lot of sheep, but I could use some wood...