This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Computer advice thread ("What's the best way to do this?")

Comments

• A Powermac G5 tower has recently come into my possession. It's PowerPC architecture, so installing windows is out. I see at least two options: install Ubuntu and use as a secondary networky-server type box, or gut the case, buy the Haswells and nVidias, and build a dickwolf in sheep's clothing.

What should I do with her?
    Well it would be pretty cool to make a hackintosh in a real Mac Case.

• edited July 2013
    Is that a 2.5ghz quad core or 2.7ghz dual? Some had a water cooling system that lead to some leakages. If you look at the two boxes that say G5 (It's actually one container.) there is a sticker saying beware of liquid on the water cooled units.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • A Powermac G5 tower has recently come into my possession. It's PowerPC architecture, so installing windows is out. I see at least two options: install Ubuntu and use as a secondary networky-server type box
    If PPC Ubuntu isn't up-to-date, you might try Debian.
  • Is that a 2.5ghz quad core or 2.7ghz dual? Some had a water cooling system that lead to some leakages. If you look at the two boxes that say G5 (It's actually one container.) there is a sticker saying beware of liquid on the water cooled units.
    The case doesn't say anything about liquid, and I looked inside and nothing looks water-cooly.
  • The water cooled units are indistinguishable from the air cooled ones until you take off the CPU module cover, except for the liquid sticker.
  • edited August 2013
    I'm looking at tech jobs to do some intern work at and all seem to want old wizened veterans of the IT admin wars of 77, which isn't important because you can get around such things. However, how do you get experience in Active Directory without having worked at an organization with a lot of people?

Also, how does the second largest city in America have no commuter train system?
  • America
    Bingo.
  • Is there an open source alternative to Microsoft Visio?
    This is as close as I think you can get. https://projects.gnome.org/dia/

So not really.
    Depends on what you're using Visio for. Visio does a lot of stuff, some of it better than other stuff. It's pretty good for flowcharts, for example, but it's not my first choice for a vector-oriented drawing program... or even for UML diagramming... even though it does support them.
  • Gliffy is the best alternative I've found.
  • I need to make a flow chart. Seems OpenOffice Draw will do what I want.
  • I need to make a flow chart. Seems OpenOffice Draw will do what I want.
    Yep. I've used it quite a bit to do that.
  • When you say the processor, do you mean the CPU or something inherent to the internals/case?
    Sorry for the lateness of my reply. I meant the CPU >_< I need to learn to be more verbose. I'm too vague for my own damn good.
  • I can not get ICS to work on windows 7. I keep getting an error message telling me the needed service is either not running or scheduled to be deleted.
  • edited August 2013
    I have been given an old PC. x64-2.2GHz dual core, 2GB DDR1 RAM, Integrated graphics but also a PCI-E x16 slot. 250GB SATA HDD.

Thinking a TV pc but our TV is an SD CRT. Any other possible uses?
  • edited August 2013
    Game server, NAS, etc.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • edited August 2013
    I have been given an old PC. x64-2.2GHz dual core, 2GB DDR1 RAM, Integrated graphics but also a PCI-E x16 slot. 250GB SATA HDD.

Thinking a TV pc but our TV is an SD CRT. Any other possible uses?
    It should still work as long as the video card has s-video. Fine for XBMC and shit at least. Also, seedbox, Bitcoin miner (if it doesn't cost more in electricity than it would produce), Packet Sniffer, Use it for ownCloud, Tor Box, Virus antfarm.

Also is it a Dell Inspiron? It sounds like the exact specs of my Desktop when I first got it.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • I just got hit with some ransomware tonight. Managed to regain control of my PC and run some malware killers but... After reading about this one (made to look like homeland security has locked down your PC and then asks for money) I don't know if I can trust my PC with anything important.

Any good utilities to make sure my win7 PC is actually clean and safe to use?
  • I just got hit with some ransomware tonight. Managed to regain control of my PC and run some malware killers but... After reading about this one (made to look like homeland security has locked down your PC and then asks for money) I don't know if I can trust my PC with anything important.

Any good utilities to make sure my win7 PC is actually clean and safe to use?
    The only safe way is to completely erase it and install a clean Windows.
  • The only safe way is to completely erase it and install a clean Windows.
  • The only safe way is to completely erase it and install a clean Windows.
  • The only safe way is about eight pounds of thermite and a road flare.

But don't look directly at it or stick your hand in it because then it's not safe.
  • He can install a non-Windows OS as well, if desired.
  • I have thought about doing a complete format and reinstall. Before I do that I need to be sure I backup data that I do want and need (documents, photographs and game saves).

My computer has some other problems that would be solved by a reformat and install... Then I think about having to download 1TB of steam games...
  • I have thought about doing a complete format and reinstall. Before I do that I need to be sure I backup data that I do want and need (documents, photographs and game saves).

My computer has some other problems that would be solved by a reformat and install... Then I think about having to download 1TB of steam games...
    Don't backup the malware.

That is the hard part.

That is the hard part.
    Assuming that the malware doesn't piggy back on data files and only piggy backs on executables, the boot sector, etc., I think this procedure would probably work to back things up:
    1. Get a USB key drive, hard drive, etc., that you know is clean (never plugged in while the malware was active) or that you don't mind reformatting to clean.
    2. Boot a Linux Live CD/USB key.
    3. If necessary, reformat your USB drive under Linux. Make sure you format it as either a FAT-derivative or NTFS
    4. Copy the files to the USB drive under Linux
    5. Proceed with reformatting and reinstalling Windows
  • Another example of why its better to keep your data on another partition/Hard Drive when possible.