This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Computer advice thread ("What's the best way to do this?")

Comments

• 17.3" Laptop
    No.
    18.4" Laptop
    Double no.
    17.3" Laptop
    No.

17 inches is way too big for a laptop. 18 is absurd. I mean, if you really want to haul that beast around, fine, but if you're going to get one that big, you might as well get (or build) a desktop.

that's measured diagonally, right?
  • that's measured diagonally, right?
    It is, but the biggest problem with giant laptops is their weight. If the reason you want a laptop is "Oh, I can take it to LAN parties and such", then sure, go for it. If you want to take it to class or have to carry it around, grab something smaller. If you really need the extra screenspace at home, you can always connect an external display.

Additionally, you tell us how much RAM the system has. That's all fine and dandy, but it's not the most important part in deciding a laptop. Look at the CPU and Graphics card first, RAM later. It should only be an issue if it drops below 8 gigs. Also consider battery life.
  • Get a smaller laptop with a small high-res screen and a single good external monitor if you can afford them together. It's a much better deal overall.
  • I've been pondering finally hooking a computer up with my TV, and I'd like to know what setup those of you that have already done so are using. Also, suggestions on where on the internet I can poke around to find more general info on setting up a HTPC (hardware, software, etc.) would be aappreciated.
  • I've been pondering finally hooking a computer up with my TV, and I'd like to know what setup those of you that have already done so are using. Also, suggestions on where on the internet I can poke around to find more general info on setting up a HTPC (hardware, software, etc.) would be aappreciated.
    I built a perfectly normal computer with parts from Newegg. It runs Windows 7. It's an i3. It's just a normal computer in every possible way. The only differences are:

1) Tiny wireless mouse and keyboard. You need some sort of different input devices that work well on a couch. Rym has this which is pretty great.

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/Wireless-touch-keyboard-k400r?crid=26

2) You need a case that works nicely near your TV. Newegg has a wide selection.

http://www.newegg.com/HTPC-Media-Center-Cases/SubCategory/ID-690?Order=REVIEWS

3) If you get a media center case that is low profile, like mine, you need to get a low profile video card. Otherwise the video card will be too tall for the case. You don't need to worry about getting a crazy powerful video card. I have a low profile Radeon 5570 in my HTPC, and it's just fine.

4) Get lots of USB game controller and XBox 360 wireless adapter to enjoy your steam.

5) Get a cheap HDMI cable on monoprice to connect to your TV.

6) Make sure your sound system is good. One option is to use your HDMI as your sound card, so all the audio goes to the TV and then to the sound system. If you use TV speakers, this is what you should do. If not, you want to use an optical audio cable to connect the HTPC to your receiver.
  • You can also pass HDMI through your receiver if it supports that, which works well if you have a lot of different things that need to connect to the TV.
    I've been wanting to build a HTPC myself for some time now, but haven't had it high enough up on my list to make it worthwhile for me to do it.

That said, I'm just using an old laptop I've had for years hooked up to my tv. It's running Windows 7, and about 5 years old. I'm not using it for any gaming or anything, but it definitely gets the job done for watching things.

That K400 keyboard Scott recommended is definitely the way to go, I've had the same one myself for a while now.
  • Get a smaller laptop with a small high-res screen and a single good external monitor if you can afford them together. It's a much better deal overall.
    It just needs to handle large image files, games, and fit into a standard bag.

I may want to use it with an external Wacom device or something.

• I've been asked to spec out a new workstation for myself. On the cheap side. Strictly programming and web development.

Currently looking at something like:

EVGA GT 620
    Antek VSK-4000
    Corsair CX430
    ASUS P8H77-V LE
    WD BLUE 1 TB 7200 RPM
    Intel Core i3-3220
    Kingston HyperX 4x4 GB PC3 12800
    LG 24X DVD Burner

Pretty low end stock stuff, except for the massive amount of memory (which seems to be the one resource I'll actually use at the office). Video card is mostly there just to provide extra video outputs.
  • Yeah, for webdev you don't need that much. Pile of RAM might be useful if you're like me and want to run VMs. One thing I neglected at work was enough hard drive space. Sometimes you have to deal with a fuckton of photos or videos or something.
  • Nothing like a Unix Santa in IT...
  • My gaming laptop just overheated and shut down. First time it ever happened and I thought it died because it was unresponsive afterwards. No audio warning or anything.

I dug out my cheap $20 laptop fan gizmo that goes beneath it but I'd rather have one that is more legit. Recommendations?
  • edited July 2013
    Open it up, clean the dust off the heatsync, put some better thermal paste on it if you want to go that far.

Lift it up at the back too. Some people like those fan stand tray things.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I have one of those fan stand things!

I used canned air in the exhaust ports but opening it all the way up to gain access to the heatsinks and repasting them is a bit more work than I want to do on this particular rig.

For reference it is the Asus G73JH.
  • Sadly, I've only ever seen one Sony laptop where there was an opening specifically for cleaning the heatsink easily.

That's the dumb thing about laptops.
  • Friend just called me with a PC virus.

Typical lockout of regedit and msconfig. When I told her to boot into safe mode she informed me that safe mode was not an option (boot -> F8).

She is a few hundred miles away and very computer illiterate so I can't help her much more.

Any quick fixes to get the computer to a point where I can help? I am out of ideas that do not involve me being physically in front of the computer or having a second computer on hand.
  • Try RKill, it's pretty good at shutting the process down so you can get to work removing it.
  • Did she try MRT?
  • We managed to get her to a point where she was able to get the antivirus to run and kill the virus.
  • A Powermac G5 tower has recently come into my possession. It's PowerPC architecture, so installing windows is out. I see at least two options: install Ubuntu and use as a secondary networky-server type box, or gut the case, buy the Haswells and nVidias, and build a dickwolf in sheep's clothing.

What should I do with her?
  • Mini fridge.
  • A Powermac G5 tower has recently come into my possession. It's PowerPC architecture, so installing windows is out. I see at least two options: install Ubuntu and use as a secondary networky-server type box, or gut the case, buy the Haswells and nVidias, and build a dickwolf in sheep's clothing.

What should I do with her?
    Just a warning, the PowerPC G5 processor is prone to overheating. These things fail at an amazing rate. Proceed with caution. I would only recommend this for light or trivial use, not as an everyday machine.

• When you say the processor, do you mean the CPU or something inherent to the internals/case?
  • My workmate actually just built an x64 computer in an old PowerPC case. Be advised: you will have to drill holes in the case to mount new standoffs for an ATI motherboard, you will probably need to buy a new fan, and you'll need a new power button because the wiring on the PowerPC is different.
  • Say I'm running scottrubinstinks.com, a site with not-SSL, and I want to log in to administrate securely. Is the following accurate:

I set up a SSH tunnel to my server. I forward port 80085 and set up Firefox to direct all traffic through this tunnel. Now when I connect to my site, my traffic is encrypted to the server. Once it gets to the server, it looks for scottrubinstinks.com. Oh hey, that IP is localhost! Don't have to go out onto the internet for that, I'll just send the response back along this secure tunnel where it came from.

All secure, end-to-end.
  • Why would you be using a web browser to administer the web site? Or are you just using it for testing? If you set up administration web pages without SSL, other people would be able to access them with normal HTTP unless you took other precautions.
  • Wordpress.
  • edited July 2013
    I'd enable SSL on your web server if I was you. That will encrypt your traffic, but a packet sniffer on the server or something just reading your browser history/cookies could be able to compromise you.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Yeah, but then I have to get a certificate.
    But you can self-sign one!
    Now I have two problems...