This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

International Talk Like A Pirate Day

Comments

• Alright, here comes my entirely unrelated mini-rant. The YTMND community is much cooler than the YouTube community. YouTube tends to have all sorts of people, and generally ends up avoiding any and all fads.
    I don't think you can really compare the two. The way I see it, YouTube is mainly used as a video archive where most of the "fads" derive from several old tv shows and movies as well as random recordings of stupid shit. While it does have a some contingent of people who use it as a way to make several fad-like videos, the majority of the users just ignore them. YTMND forces users to create and use their imaginations cause it is inherent in the site. That is what it is there for. This is why the sites are more prone to reaching "fad status." But honestly where would you be if you never saw Star Wars Kid or Numa Numa? (while they did not originate on YouTube, this is where you can most easily find them)
  • Alright, here comes my entirely unrelated mini-rant. The YTMND community is much cooler than the YouTube community. YouTube tends to have all sorts of people, and generally ends up avoiding any and all fads.
    I don't think you can really compare the two. The way I see it, YouTube is mainly used as a video archive where most of the "fads" derive from several old tv shows and movies as well as random recordings of stupid shit. While it does have a some contingent of people who use it as a way to make several fad-like videos, the majority of the users just ignore them. YTMND forces users to create and use their imaginations cause it is inherent in the site. That is what it is there for. This is why the sites are more prone to reaching "fad status." But honestly where would you be if you never saw Star Wars Kid or Numa Numa? (while they did not originate on YouTube, this is where you can most easily find them)
    I understand that completely, however it seems that since YTMND is much less well known, it has a more tightly knit community than the other sites do.
  • I'm bumping this thread as a reminder to everyone here.  Wednesday is Pirate Day!
  • I hope they let me wear my hat to school.

Beware!!! That is me and it's a crap picture!!!
  • edited September 2007
    Avast, me proud beauty! Wanna know why my Roger is so Jolly?

I'm so putting on my pirate gear on Wednesday. Maybe I should draw a new Capt. Killthroat Shuriken picture. ^_~
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Avast, me proud beauty! Wanna know why my Roger is so Jolly?

I'm so putting on my pirate gear on Wednesday. Maybe I should draw a new Capt. Killthroat Shuriken picture. ^_~
    Why does that sound so dirty?

That's the pirate-ninja, right?
    Oh! I drew one about 2 weeks ago, but my scanner died so I can't put it up on the interwebz...
  • Wow....I never notice when I say something tht can be taken as dirty. I'm so oblivious! Heh.
  • Wow....I never notice when I say something tht can be taken as dirty. I'm so oblivious! Heh.
    You notice it when you're 13. And you're dude. And the guys around you can't stop talking about boobs.
  • OMG Talk like a Pirate Day yay. Oh and it was really adorable today; I was wearing my orange bandana to a buffet and a lil girl with her grandparents and brother sat in the booth next to us, and she goes, "Look, she's a pirate!" For the rest of the brunch-meal-thingy we kept cracking pirate jokes and going "yaaaarrr". =D So yes. I was a pirate today... <3 <3
    You notice it when you're 13. And you're dude. And the guys around you can't stop talking about boobs.
    It's the same when you hang with 21 - 25 aged guys too. LOL!
  • I can't wait for Wednesday! I'm going to wear all of my Pirates of the Caribbean (ride not movie) articles and probably make some alterations. It is going to be awesome!
  • Wow. Time flies. It seems like it was much less than a year ago when Scrym did their pirate impressions during an episode of Geek Nights. My ears are still healing - as I assume are their throats.
  • It seems like it was much less than a year ago when Scrym did their pirate impressions during an episode of Geek Nights. My ears are still healing - as I assume are their throats.
    I can assure you, that will not be happening again.  Ever.
  • I need to get said episode. Though if you guys would do the entire show (including opener, "Let's do this" and closer) entirely in pirate talk :D That'd be awesome. At least 7167 points.

Also, I'll prepare this time. I hope.
  • Tomorrow will be a weird day. It's TLAP Day, as well as my friend's birthday; but it's also the day of our mutual friend's funeral. I'll have to switch from happy to sad throughout the day and avoid the pirate talk during the service. It will be very difficult.
  • If we post like a pirate will Mr Period come after our friends and family?
  • and avoid the pirate talk during the [funeral] service
    But pirates put the "fun" in "funeral."  TLAPD is just as sacred as any rite.
  • and avoid the pirate talk during the [funeral] service

But pirates put the "fun" in "funeral." TLAPD is just as sacred as any rite.

*thumbs up to Rym*
  • Erm...
    I'm going to a bio class at Mercy college tomorrow morning, followed immediately afterward by a reading of a show that my dad helped write (I'm going to be introduced to a bunch of "important" people), so I'm afraid that I don't know when/how I shall celebrate. :-/
  • Later that night? Call a friend in the morning. Post on your blog like a pirate?

Man. After this holiday the blog like a zombie apocalyspe will the be next fun one.
  • edited September 2007
    Man. After this holiday the blog like a zombie apocalyspe will the be next fun one.
    No way. That can't be a holiday.
    Post edited by JukeBoxJosh on
  • You doubt my words ProX! Dude this was my favorite day that summer. All on LJ were a bunch of great stories and pictures. It was so fun.
  • You doubt my words ProX!Dude this was my favorite day that summer. All on LJ were a bunch of great stories and pictures. It was so fun.
    I'm SO being a part of this.
  • We shall make a thread next year!
  • We shall make a thread next year!
    God, I can't wait!
  • But pirates put the "fun" in "funeral."  TLAPD is just as sacred as any rite.

As it turned out, the pirate talk would have been appropriate as one of his friends gave a eulogy wearing donkey ears and a tail (he liked donkeys) and another wore a viking helmet (he'd said he wanted a viking funeral). So let me just say Yarrrr for my friend.

edited September 2007
    ARRRR! It be Talk like a pirate day mateys! Set sail with yer pirate tongues and plunder all sanity from those poor townspeople. Oh, and bring rum and gold.

Ye olde edit: Also, what be this about elves and zombies and writing for yer lives? It be Talk like a pirate day mate! Unless they be pirate elves and pirate zombies talkin' all piratisch. Gunner Nine out Cap'n.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Avast me mateys, I'm all dressed up and ready to 'yarr' all through out the olde school! Hope ye get your scuzzy butts ta school and work ta celebrate! Yarrr!

Have a good pirates day, me mateys!
  • "Ye butt pirating day are over Capt. Swallow!" - Mind of Mencia.

I don't know why but that popped into my brain. LOL.
  • edited September 2007
    Yarrr! Me teacher be teh awesomeness! Yargh!

/pirate

*cough! Hack!* Damn throat. I couldn't talk like a pirate today, but I reminded my Math teach about it and I let him borrow my hat and he talked like a pirate... during a test!
    Post edited by JukeBoxJosh on