This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

International Talk Like A Pirate Day

12345679»

Comments

• I wonder if in the future, on talk like a pirate day, people will speak in Somali.
  • Feel like most people on the internet who love pirates forget that some of the pirates of the Golden Age not only gave to the poor and robbed the rich and partied all the time, but also raped and pillaged, and would occasionally kill an entire ship's worth of people save one, and then cut his nose off and leave him to swim to shore as a message to others.
    I have never heard about pirates giving to the poor. I always heard them taking it for themselves.

• Feel like most people on the internet who love pirates forget that some of the pirates of the Golden Age not only gave to the poor and robbed the rich and partied all the time, but also raped and pillaged, and would occasionally kill an entire ship's worth of people save one, and then cut his nose off and leave him to swim to shore as a message to others.
    At least I admit that I love the "fantasy/pop-culture" depiction of pirates, like you'd see in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, One Piece (though I'm not a big fan of the show itself), Skies of Arcadia, and so on, as opposed to real life ones like Edward Teach (Blackbeard), Bartholomew Roberts (Black Bart), etc. I know full well that real life pirates were often (usually?) very nasty, brutish, and barbaric.
  • The only thing I don't like about One Piece is the length. Abridged One Piece might be the greatest thing ever.
  • The only thing I don't like about One Piece is the length. Abridged One Piece might be the greatest thing ever.
    I can see that. I kinda feel the same way about Dragon Ball Z. The show itself drags on way too long, but I love the DBZ movies and find them lots of fun to watch.
    I have never heard about pirates giving to the poor. I always heard them taking it for themselves.
    Their drinking, gambling, and wenching habits meant that they were perpetually poor.
    I can see that. I kinda feel the same way about Dragon Ball Z. The show itself drags on way too long, but I love the DBZ movies and find them lots of fun to watch.
    I think me means this or something like it. Dragon Ball Z had an abridged series too, which is pretty great at times.
    I think me means this or something like it. Dragon Ball Z had an abridged series too, which is pretty great at times.
    No. I mean actually abridged, and not the stupid childish abridged series that those punk kids put together.
    Their drinking, gambling, and wenching habits meant that they were perpetually poor.
    That and the astronomical costs of running and maintaining a ship. Let alone one that could stand up to one of the line, hell even taking on merchants could be tricky. To say nothing of arms and hiring a ship. Its amazing that they even made it out of harbour to be honest.

That said there has been a massive amount of romanticism and villainization of pirates that have made them out to be a bit more than they were.
  • edited September 2012
    nevermind
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • No. I mean actually abridged, and not the stupid childish abridged series that those punk kids put together.
    Oh, I have not watched the One Piece Abridged series or the actual abridged. I may need to check that actual abridged out as I thought it was about the same quality as regular One Piece.
  • One piece bores me. Tried it, multiple times. Starting at the beginning. Starting in the middle. Starting at what's current. Never seems to work out.

IMHO, the DBZ movies were awful. Worse than the ridiculously drawn out DBZ series.
    That and the astronomical costs of running and maintaining a ship. Let alone one that could stand up to one of the line, hell even taking on merchants could be tricky. To say nothing of arms and hiring a ship. Its amazing that they even made it out of harbour to be honest.
    Truly they were the job creators that this economy is lacking.
  • There's gotta be a list out there that details all the essential and skippable episodes of One Piece.
  • One piece bores me. Tried it, multiple times. Starting at the beginning. Starting in the middle. Starting at what's current. Never seems to work out.

IMHO, the DBZ movies were awful. Worse than the ridiculously drawn out DBZ series.
    The ones I've seen were perfectly good one shot pieces of mindless fun. They weren't masterpieces by any stretch, but they were amusing. I'm not comparing them to Eva or Cowboy Bebop or any of the other classics.
    Truly they were the job creators that this economy is lacking.
    They are defiantly the independent business men that are sorely needed in the growing economic world. The use of a multiethnic and socially flexible group who can work in a verity of locations is something that we need in this modern market.
    DBZ Kai has much better pacing that the original series. It's a lot closer to that of the manga.
  • edited September 2012
    Why would anybody "watch" a shonen fighting series? TV series productions of them are always padded and drawn out in order not to overtake the manga that is currently being produced. If you are interested, you have to read the manga. You skip all the chaff and you can even make your own pacing.

There's exactly two shonen action series that I have encountered that work as an anime series, both because they realize they have to end at some point and don't linger too long and fill out the tv episodes with actually good content: Hajime no Ippo and Soul Eater.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Yeah, I've tried watching a few shonen fighting series before I realized just what their "mechanic" was. They get old and slow pretty quickly. I much prefer one-shots, like movies and such, based on shonen fighting series. You get the crazy action in little bite-sized pieces that don't drag on and on and on.
  • Why would anybody "watch" a shonen fighting series? TV series productions of them are always padded and drawn out in order not to overtake the manga that is currently being produced. If you are interested, you have to read the manga. You skip all the chaff and you can even make your own pacing.

There's exactly two shonen action series that I have encountered that work as an anime series, both because they realize they have to end at some point and don't linger too long and fill out the tv episodes with actually good content: Hajime no Ippo and Soul Eater.
    Hey, DBZ was awesome when I was 15. It still has a special place in my heart.

• Initial D is my shounen fighting show of choice.
  • AmpAmp
    edited September 2012
    Initial D is my shounen fighting show of choice.
    I very nearly brought the Toyota this summer. Can I buy giant mussels and fight aliens, I think not. Can I buy and awesome car that drives like a boss? I think so.

Post edited by Amp on
  • Hollywood needs to make a movie about real pirates. Murder, torture, scurvy, terrorism, the whole nine yards.
  • Hollywood needs to make a movie about real pirates. Murder, torture, scurvy, terrorism, the whole nine yards.
    It would bomb in the box office, probably. You'd be better off hoping someone like Ken Burns makes one for PBS.
  • Hollywood needs to make a movie about real pirates. Going months on end without seeing anything, the whole nine yards.
    It would bomb in the box office, probably. You'd be better off hoping someone like Ken Burns makes one for PBS.
    You could get some good forbidden love stories as well.
  • Hollywood needs to make a movie about real pirates. Going months on end without seeing anything, the whole nine yards.
    Two and a half hours of two bored pirates swapping stories. I'd watch it.