This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Secret shames

Comments

• Perhaps I phrased that poorly. I have trouble with 3D puzzles. In 2D, I can see everything with minimal trouble -- in Zelda I, I can see everything with no trouble. I don't have to fiddle with the camera, and I can just think on 2 planes better than I can think on 3.
    They also have far weaker overworlds than even Phantom Hourglass, the weakest of the 2D Zeldas. I don't enjoy adventuring in the 3D Zeldas. I just want to get to the next dungeon, so that I can get confused by the third axis. In Link to the Past, most of the game is in exploring the overworld, and poking around at all the stuff. The 3D Zeldas just don't have their overworlds as well designed.
  • edited July 2011
    While the Twilight books are terrible, the setting was salvaged by a fan writer into Luminosity, which is kind of amazing, because it replaces passive, stupid Bella with smart, driven Bella and leaves all other things intact. I'm actually glad I read the original books, because it made Luminosity a wonderful read.
    I've been reading that, but I've cooled on it since the second book - there's an Australian half vampire in it who sounds absolutely unlike any Australian, ever, and it kinda throws me out of the story. She talks sometimes like an Englishwoman, and sometimes like an American, but never does she use the patterns of Australian English. Probably a strange complaint, I know, but it just bothers me.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited July 2011
    The 3D Zeldas just don't have their overworlds as well designed.
    Ocarina of Time was the first 3D Zelda, so it's too early to expect perfection. Majora I think did it very well. 'Cept the main field, but Majora isn't that much of a real Zelda game, it did things differently. Given the areas it focused, the overworld was as good as you can demand. Wind Waker had water everywhere, so there wasn't much they could do. Twilight Princess was just a shit game in general.

My point is that maybe the one for the Wii coming soon where Link has the big-ass lips will be better and you should give it another chance.
    Post edited by Aria on
  • I'm not paying $50 bucks to give a branch of a game series I have yet to like a second chance, and those games never go down in price. If someone gives it to me as a gift, I'll give it a try, but I don't see it happening.
  • I like Dragon Ball Z. Also I have been playing FFVII for over 200 hours.
  • I also like the Dragon Ball Z. Not the best thing on the planet, although the sub is ridiculously better since the dub is so off it changes the story at some points, but still my favorite. To be my favorite it does not have to be the best just my favorite.

Some people have irrational fears, I have irrational affections.
  • In Link to the Past, most of the game is in exploring the overworld, and poking around at all the stuff. The 3D Zeldas just don't have their overworlds as well designed.
    Did you play Wind Waker?
  • In Link to the Past, most of the game is in exploring the overworld, and poking around at all the stuff. The 3D Zeldas just don't have their overworlds as well designed.
    Did you play Wind Waker?
    I liked the idea of the overworld in Wind Waker, but the whole treasure hunting idea got boring quickly. Oh what is this treausre... a rupee thats worth 50 rupees? Oh great. I already have a full wallet.. Awesome.
  • Did you play Wind Waker?
    I got to fishing up the triforce pieces and basically just went "Fuck this shit." and sold the game.
    Did you play Wind Waker?
    I liked the idea of the overworld in Wind Waker, but the whole treasure hunting idea got boring quickly. Oh what is this treausre... a rupee thats worth 50 rupees? Oh great. I already have a full wallet.. Awesome.
    Lol, so true!! WW was a good game overall, but the treasure hunting was stupid.
  • It could have been really really cool. But they went the easy route.
  • I have not yet played Wind Waker, but I'll probably pick it up when I get back into gaming season.
  • edited July 2011
    Even Miyamoto says the triforce-finding part of Wind-Waker sucks.

The thing is Wind Waker is actually pretty good when you are actually Zelda-ing. it just doesn't have enough dungeons. That's the same problem I have with most Zelda games, not enough quantity of dungeons. You would think, Ocarina, the biggest Zelda of all time, also had the most and biggest dungeons. Link to the Past had about the same number. Yet, all the games they've made more recently have less dungeon and more overworld.

I did really like that very Hyrulian dungeon in Twilight Princess, though.

I think I'm going to go play some OOT: Master Quest. It's about time to revisit.

Oh right, Wind-Waker. Just blow through all the dungeons and don't do any unnecessary side-quests. Use a FAQ to get the triforce piece locations, and if you happen to pass near one on your way to a dungeon, grab it. Don't stop for other useless bullshit. By the time you actually need them, you should have most. Use the faq to get them in the shortest time possible. Then beat it.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • OOT did have a lot of dungeons, didn't it? 3 starters, 5 main and then how many sub-dungeons? Bottom of the Well, Gerudo Fortress, maybe Hyrule Castle, Ganondorf's Castle, The Ice Cavern..
  • OOT did have a lot of dungeons, didn't it? 3 starters, 5 main and then how many sub-dungeons? Bottom of the Well, Gerudo Fortress, maybe Hyrule Castle, Ganondorf's Castle, The Ice Cavern..
    I'm trying to remember exactly how many. I think it feels like more than it was because you basically had to do the equivalent of a dungeon outside of each dungeon to get in. For example, doing the lost woods outside the forest temple.

Now that I think about it, I think LttP actually had the most full dungeons since you have the intro castle, then 3, then castle, then 7 then castle again. It also has double overworld, but OoT also has double overworld (young/old).
  • Todo: Make new Zelda-like. Possibly featuring witches.
  • If someone gives it to me as a gift, I'll give it a try, but I don't see it happening.
    Ask around at the pirate's bay, I'm sure someone's willing to share his copy.
  • Todo: Make new Zelda-like. Possibly featuring witches.
    Just ROM hack Link to the Past.
  • My favorite name to use in games when I can custom name a character is Anäl Rapé.
  • I have been on 4chan more in the last few months than I care to admit.
  • I troll Omegle regularly, and I can't tell if it's smart and funny, or disgusting and stupid.
  • Oh right, Wind-Waker. Just blow through all the dungeons and don't do any unnecessary side-quests. Use a FAQ to get the triforce piece locations, and if you happen to pass near one on your way to a dungeon, grab it. Don't stop for other useless bullshit. By the time you actually need them, you should have most. Use the faq to get them in the shortest time possible. Then beat it.
    That could have been very good tip before I played and hated Wind-Waker.

In Wind-waker I liked the basic non boat gameplay. The counter system in battle was great add and dungeons were mostly fine. I also really liked the art style and presentation of the story. But basically everything involving the boat and sailing around changing wind direction, looking for Triforce charts and Tingle being greedy fucker made me hate the game in the end. Overall I'd say that Wind Waker is my least favorite Zelda game, I have played.
  • I troll Omegle regularly, and I can't tell if it's smart and funny, or disgusting and stupid.
    I do that using a program that places a TF2 spy mask over my face and pretend to be a spy after the intel.
    The best when you get a gif of a somewhat attractive woman and keep going until someone asks "asl" (this usually takes about one try). Then you go on for a bit, then, somewhat timidly, ask if he could do you a favor first. Say that you have a fetish and want him to put his shoes on his head, or something similarly stupid. After he does, tel him that you're not actually female, and that you took a screencap of him. Hang out for a bit to see the look on his face and to see if he responds, then leave.

But whatever you do, don't actually take a screencap, 'cause then you're just a dick.
  • The one exercise in trolling I don't feel bad about is when I try to get people to play ACTION CASTLE. That taught me the very useful phrase "I'm sorry, I don't know how to feel offended."
  • Azumanga Daioh no longer makes me happy.
  • Azumanga Daioh no longer makes me happy.
    You are the burnt out shell of a human being.
    I do that using a program that places a TF2 spy mask over my face and pretend to be a spy after the intel.
    What is this mystery program?
  • ManyCam Virtual Webcam..
  • I find trolling Omegle most fun in a group. We switch who is doing the typing every few minutes and aren't allowed to contradict anything that has been established. For some reason we always ended up being Canadian and in an incestuous relationship with our sister...