This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic

Comments

• I'm pretty sure the interview that Lauren Faust did for Equestria Daily said that their schedule was so tight that they were already too far along on the first few episodes of season 2 before they realized that bronyism had taken hold of the internet. Wonder if we'll see any rise in easter eggs moments after those first few episodes?
  • * Symbolism all around, as the very first thing that shows up on the way to each of the ponies corruption is their cutie mark in one form or another.
    * Of course each corrupted pony displays the very opposite of what their element of harmony represents. Rarity (generosity) becomes stingy. Applejack (honesty) becomes a compulsive liar. Fluttershy (kindness) turns into Flutterjerk. Rainbow Dash (loyalty) abandons her friends. Pinkie (laughter) becomes a spiteful curmudgeon.
    This took you two viewings?
  • * Symbolism all around, as the very first thing that shows up on the way to each of the ponies corruption is their cutie mark in one form or another.
    * Of course each corrupted pony displays the very opposite of what their element of harmony represents. Rarity (generosity) becomes stingy. Applejack (honesty) becomes a compulsive liar. Fluttershy (kindness) turns into Flutterjerk. Rainbow Dash (loyalty) abandons her friends. Pinkie (laughter) becomes a spiteful curmudgeon.
    This took you two viewings?
    I didn't really pay attention at the first one because the stream was kinda crappy and the commercials had me tune out (american TV SUUUUUUUUUUUCKS), so I did honestly miss the thing with the cutie marks because I was fidgeting with other stuff on the side. I did get the thing about the complete inversion of the character traits though. Just padded the post a bit to point out the really stark contrast.
  • Good start to the new season. Need episode 2!!!
  • I love how with just a little bit more raw material to work with, the creativity fountain can asplode!

• Also, I'm actually more excited for episode 3. You already know what will happen in episode 2. Twilight was the one who didn't get discorded, and she has her horn back. She, and maybe spike, will find a clever way to save the day. Episode 3 we don't even know WTF. It will be a return to single-episode comedy hilariousness.
  • Spike won't help. Spike's entire purpose is to be a horny bastard and e-mail breath. When was the last time he did something that didn't involve Rarity or Celestia?
  • Spike won't help. Spike's entire purpose is to be a horny bastard and e-mail breath. When was the last time he did something that didn't involve Rarity or Celestia?
    He ran away during Owl's Well That Ends Well...
    Spike also cooks with his fire breath. And he naps. Napping is extremely helpful. Just ask Rainbow Dash.
  • edited September 2011
    The SSB one is amazing.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited September 2011
    I have a bit of trouble buying into Discord being a "bad guy" and I'm kinda hoping there's a twist to it in episode 2. Also, I have to Gandalf girth on what exactly Celestia is. I thought it was somewhat implied that she was an outsider, not a revolutionary, when she overthrew Discord.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • edited September 2011
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Also, I have to Gandalf girth on what exactly Celestia is. I thought it was somewhat implied that she was an outsider, not a revolutionary, when she overthrew Discord.
    Celestia and Luna was a genetic engineering experiment by Discord to combine earth ponies, unicorns, and pegasai. They were made too powerful and decided to take over.

Also, if I overthrew the evil overlord and encased them in stone, I WOULD NOT put them in a pretty garden with other statues. I WOULD lock them away in a lead safe thousands of feet below the surface of the earth. Or, say for example, I was the living avatar of the FUCKING SUN, I would fire it INTO THE SUN!
  • edited September 2011
    I thought Discord was a good way to do a creepy but funny bad guy for the 6-8 set. Although maybe that's influenced by the fact I grew up with Q and always found him unsettling. Since I'm assuming the elements are somehow bound up with those statues outside the maze (look at the "victory" setup in the opening sequence and listen to his rhyme again if you don't see it), I thought he did a nice job tricking the ponies away from them and I think it makes decent sense to surround him with them. Although this wouldn't explain why Celestia was unaware of it.

As for Celestia, I've always thought she was an outsider who found Equestria and brought order to the land. I think the best destiny they could do for Twilight would be to have her use the lessons she's learned to take over for Celestia so she can go bring peace to more lands.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • Celestia and Luna was a genetic engineering experiment by Discord to combine earth ponies, unicorns, and pegasai. They were made too powerful and decided to take over.
    Earth ponies, unicorns, and pegasai = sugar, spice, and everything nice
    Discord = Professor Utonium
    Celestia and Luna = Blossum, Bubbles, and Buttercup

• I was hoping Luna would get an appearance in this episode, especially since Celestia referenced her repeatedly. Maybe next time...
  • edited September 2011
    Lauren said Luna would be coming back, iirc. Derpy is also supposed to become a scripted character.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Lauren said Luna would be coming back.
    Yeah but I want her back nooooooooow.
  • Lauren said Luna would be coming back.
    Yeah but I want her back nooooooooow.
  • Luna and Celestia's original castle is in the Everfree Forest... So that means the moved the statue of Discord from there to Canterlot?
  • Luna and Celestia's original castle is in the Everfree Forest... So that means the moved the statue of Discord from there to Canterlot?
    While leaving the Elements in the old castle.

Yeah, Celestia's smart.
    While leaving the Elements in the old castle.

Yeah, Celestia's smart.
    Assuming Luna is somehow required to use the Elements than without here they were useless to Celestia. Remember she specific said that Twilight Sparkle "recovered" (or something to that affect) them, implying they were lost.
  • edited September 2011
    Here's how I think it went down.

Celestia and Luna lived in their old castle in the forest, or whatever used to be where the forest is now.
    Discord ruled the neighboring land. They wanted to kick his ass, but couldn't.
    Eventually they got the elements of harmony, so they were powerful enough to invade. They kicked Discord's ass and conquered what is now Equestria.
    Maybe during the war with discord, he turned their country into the Everfree forest as retaliation, destroying the old castle?
    Some time later Luna got pissed off that the Equestrian ponies slept at night. The Everfree forest was full of more nocturnal creatures. Then Celestia used the elements to send her ass to the moon.
    For whatever reason Celestia left the old castle and the elements in the forest.
    1000 years later, Episode 1.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited September 2011
    Those rabbit horses freaked me out. Reminds me of The Meat Circus.

I do like pony satan though.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Here's some more gems from pony reddit. Community is really on its A-game today, as we knew we would be.

Trollin'

A character from Season 1 returns.

And the best thing I've seen all day.
  • The long legged rabbits reminded me of Landstrinders from The Dark Crystal.
  • Could someone please make a 15 minute version of Discord shufflin'?
  • Shufflin! Epic!
  • Could someone please make a 15 600 minute version of Discord shufflin'?