This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic

Comments

• edited November 2012
    Crystal heart is the center of the festivities, huh...
    Crystal heart...
    What's Cadence's cutie mark again?

Also, the "OH FUCK!" look on RD's Face!

Thanks LoC
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • This is a spoiler
  • edited November 2012
    Those Gak ads were so bad!

Was it me or was there alot of weirdness with Luna and with Celestia?

Post edited by GoldenVixy on
  • edited November 2012
    This episode lacked the feeling of stakes that the other Big Bad episodes did. Nighmare moon presented a real problem, Discord was literally turning their world upside down, Chrysalis's plot was great and she almost succeeded. Sombre... He wasn't even the real antagonist of the episode. Celestia's test was. Sombre was just a roadblock and a means to put pressure on them to hurry the fuck up.

Not to mention that he was the most poorly developed characters of the series

I hate to say it, but this probably among the worst episodes of the series.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • So I'm currently in a lounge room in my dorm doing a group 20 hour pony marathon ending in the new episode.

...I'm sure there's no way I will be regretting this decision 20 hours from now.
    You won't regret it. We have done the same thing for Evangelion, Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop, and many other shows. None of those are regretted. They only created fond memories. We even forged strong friendships with random strangers due to lounge anime marathons.

Pony onwards!

Survived the marathon, which involved lots of ponies, roller coaster tycoon, arm wrestling, and cupcakes. No regrets.

Hard to deny Sombre was a laughably shitty generic villain, but I thought everything else was pretty damn awesome and exceeded my expectations. Mind too tired to elaborate though.

• Princess Trollelestia used the fate of an entire empire as some petty test for her student.
  • Episodes were pretty good, not amazing. But fan reaction has me pumped again because of things like this.

• The villain was definitely not as great as Discord, but I only think that's because they want to focus on Twilight Sparkle more. Celestia was saying to Luna that they were trying to see if Twilight will be the one they need in the future. It's obvious that something even more dangerous than Sombre will be in their future.
  • edited November 2012
    Moral of the story: If there ever was a problem that is insurmountable, I shall throw my wife at it.

Enjoyable episode, but they did not need a villian really. That brings the mark of the episode down a little. Although I DO like that shining armor and cadence were fleshed out. Rather they than Sombra in my opinion.

Although that opens up the possibility that he may return. Also the Dark Magic stuff was played up a lot...calling it out now, but twilight may have a crisis of magic and destiny in the future, and King Sombra may play a part. It took both Sisters to banish Sombra, couldn't even kill him, and the ending does show his intact horn flying away.

Also Cadence was referred to as the Crystal Princess by the Crystal Ponies...but there was no concrete statement that the Empire was her previous home or if she was even connected to the Empire...wierd
    Post edited by lifecircle on
  • Yeah the Dark Magic was a strange thing to see Celestia using and more so Twilight.

Also on the 2nd watch the looks on Luna's face and the looks she was giving Twilight are very weird.
  • edited November 2012
    I enjoyed these episodes, and I think they'll land slightly above the series median for me. Great animation, directing, background music. The musical numbers weren't my favorites but I thought they did their job pretty well and the crystal pony song is currently stuck in my head. Very cool uses of magic with Celestia's visions, the anti-gravity spell, and Sombra's tricks and manipulation. I'm glad we have a progression plot going in the adventure episodes now, especially after the confirmation by Tara Strong that alicorn Twilight is not a real thing. As for comedy, Rarity was the best in this episode, but almost every cast member got a good moment or two, especially Spike.

On the downside, there were the typical 2-parter pacing issues with the first episode being slow and the second being jam packed. And Sombra didn't exactly *detract* from the episode, but the lack of motivation and therefore emotional resonance evoked by his character was a bit disappointing. However, I understand the decision to trade off some villain development for more of a focus on Twilight's growth.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • Lunas looks may be foreshadowing this plot I just thought of!

Luna is jealous of Twilight because Celestia favors her more than Luna. Return of Nightmare Moona!
  • It's like there are people out there in the world just like me.

• Lunas looks may be foreshadowing this plot I just thought of!

Luna is jealous of Twilight because Celestia favors her more than Luna. Return of Nightmare Moona!
    Also revenge for Twilight choosing Celestia over Luna in Ponycision 2012.
  • And now we're weaponizing wives and hate.
  • edited November 2012
    Wife missile was pretty awesome.

Musical numbers were utterly unnecessary. They detracted from the episode.

Also, seriously, it was at the top of the castle? Laaaaaaaaaaaame.

Pinkie Pie remains best pony.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited November 2012
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I don't think they ever explained the crystals on Shining's Horn.
  • edited November 2012
    Just evil crystal stuffs; it doesn't really need an explanation. I was kinda expecting Shining Armor to turn evil, but I guess that would have been too cliché.
  • edited November 2012
    They got stuck in when he fought Sombra right before they got to the Crystal Kingdom - Sombra's magic seems to create evil dark-magic-powered crystals, that possibly can be cleaned using friendship-magic. There was a blink-and-you'd-miss-it shot of them preventing him from doing magic.

Not sure why nobody took them out though.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Yeah I noticed him trying to do magic and fail, and then he just shook his head and went on his merry way. No impact whatsoever.

And that's why I think these two-part episodes could make better two hour movies. They could expand on things like that, and the background of the Crystal Empire, and maybe give Sombre more screen time.

My face:
  • Oh, I thought you meant what the crystals were about rather than how they got there. Yeah, it's easy to miss this kind of stuff when it happens so quickly.

A feature length pony movie could be interesting, but it would naturally have to be quite different to standard pony.
  • edited November 2012
    I completely agree with you as far saying that the episode was focused on Twilight's test and was not a "Big Bad" story.

However, I don't think you've given proper justification for why that's actually a particularly bad thing. I get that you wanted to see a "Big Bad" story and didn't get one, but that doesn't make this a terrible episode.