This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• Correct me if I'm wrong, but this forum does not have a thread solely for fan fiction, right?
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but this forum does not have a thread solely for fan fiction, right?
    Found one from 2009.
  • Was there ever an interview with Chuck Jones that asked him about Anime and the "Japanimation/Anime is not Cartoons" movement in American culture? Google isn't helping me much.
  • What films can you replace the word "die/kill/etc.." with "fall in love" in the basic premise to turn them into a romantic comedy?
  • What films can you replace the word "die/kill/etc.." with "fall in love" in the basic premise to turn them into a romantic comedy?
    The Expendables.
  • edited September 2012
    American Psycho

...or regular Psycho, for that matter...
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • I think Psycho has plenty of love in it already. Just the wrong kind.
  • Does anyone know about US Treasury savings bonds? My mom just gave me an envelope full of them. How long do these take to reach maturity?
  • I want to say 5 years. I cashed in the ones my mother didn't steal ages ago... they were supposed to have been my college fund but I think there was about $200 worth left. I remember I got more than face value on the ones that were 7 or so years old..?
  • Well mine are over 25 years old.
  • Just go to treasury.gov and type them in.
  • They are likely worth several times face value if my shady memory is any indicator. Good luck!
  • Hmm.. I bought the Steam key for Containment: The Zombie Puzzler at PAX. It was part of the PAX 10 as well. However, I decided to get it on iOS, so I have a spare key.

What to do with it? Part of me thinks some sort of competition or something on ATW9K, but I honestly don't think we have enough listeners who use Steam. *shrug*
  • edited September 2012
    Looks like they're worth about double the face value if I'm reading the chart right. They don't reach final maturity until 30 years.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • You could just give it to me. Just sayin'.
  • If I'm reading this right, these things are earning about 4% interest right now. That's way better than anything I can get in a savings account so i might just leave these until they reach final maturity in 3 years.
  • Well technically those savings bonds aren't liquid like a savings account. It does take some time to cash them in like a CD. Most savings accounts, unless it's a high balance market account will never offer decent interest rates like a CD.

I also forget if there is a fee to cash in Savings Bonds. I don't recall. All I remember is that it's a bitch as a teller to freaking process them.
  • Well technically those savings bonds aren't liquid like a savings account. It does take some time to cash them in like a CD. Most savings accounts, unless it's a high balance market account will never offer decent interest rates like a CD.

I also forget if there is a fee to cash in Savings Bonds. I don't recall. All I remember is that it's a bitch as a teller to freaking process them.
    There's no fee. I got an account at treasury.gov. It's super secure. Then you type in the numbers on the bonds and mail them in. Now they exist digitally. Once you have the account, you can even buy new ones digitally. At any time you can cash them out with direct transfer to your bank account.
  • That's pretty slick. My parents may still have some EE bonds around somewhere.

Most high yield savings and CD are poop interest rates right now cause the prime rate is so low. Money is effective free right now, thus banks won't give you anything for hording it.
  • Anyone know a good book/method of self-teaching ASL? Now that I'm at RIT I kinda want to learn but don't want to wait to get into a class.
  • edited September 2012
    I concentrated in ASL. Some tips:

1. Memorize the American Manual Alphabet.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_manual_alphabet
    2. Learn a few useful signs from the RIT/NTID ASL dictionary (Please, thank you, sorry, your major, etc).
    http://www.ntid.rit.edu/dictionary/
    Lifeprint is also a useful resource:
    http://lifeprint.com/
    3. Show up to a meeting of No Voice Zone. Not sure where or when they meet, but it's an on-campus club that exists for this exact purpose.
    4. Take Beginning American Sign Language I (0525-390) - It counts as one of your liberal arts requirements (can't remember which one, at the moment). My favorite ASL professor is Marge Carrillo; Ron Rood is also really cool.

ProfPangloss also concentrated in ASL and he's working for the NTID HelpDesk right now, so he interacts with many Deaf people on a daily basis. He's probably got some input for you as well.

If you want a book, you can buy ASL At Work from RIT Barnes & Noble - That's the textbook used for RIT's ASL courses. I can't find mine for the life of me (though I do have an .iso of the DVD), but maybe you can get ProfPangloss to lend you his.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • Is there any candidate who will fix the game-theory-type problems with our democracy? Obviously I'm not in danger of voting for him, but I might be able to proxy vote. I did for Obama in '08.
  • edited September 2012
    I concentrated in ASL. Some tips:

1. Memorize the American Manual Alphabet.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_manual_alphabet
    2. Learn a few useful signs from the RIT/NTID ASL dictionary (Please, thank you, sorry, your major, etc).
    http://www.ntid.rit.edu/dictionary/
    Lifeprint is also a useful resource:
    http://lifeprint.com/
    3. Show up to a meeting of No Voice Zone. Not sure where or when they meet, but it's an on-campus club that exists for this exact purpose.
    4. Take Beginning American Sign Language I (0525-390) - It counts as one of your liberal arts requirements (can't remember which one, at the moment). My favorite ASL professor is Marge Carrillo; Ron Rood is also really cool.

ProfPangloss also concentrated in ASL and he's working for the NTID HelpDesk right now, so he interacts with many Deaf people on a daily basis. He's probably got some input for you as well.

If you want a book, you can buy ASL At Work from RIT Barnes & Noble - That's the textbook used for RIT's ASL courses. I can't find mine for the life of me (though I do have an .iso of the DVD), but maybe you can get ProfPangloss to lend you his.
    I can pretty much vouch for everything Trogdor said, with the added advice that it really couldn't hurt to make friends with some deaf/hard-of-hearing students. In my experience, especially when there's common ground like a shared class or event, many deaf students are totally willing to communicate and interact with hearing students, typically via texting/writing on paper/sharing a computer, etc. Furthermore, I have a couple friends with significant hearing loss, who all know ASL, but can still hold a spoken conversation. I'm sure they would be happy to give you a few pointers/basic sign, plus you can check with me or Trogdor to make sure they're not teaching you how to call yourself a whore fucker.

Besides that, if you check out the 3rd floor of the NTID building (LBJ) sometime this quarter, see if you can find my office for a quick hello - it's the one with the paper that says "co-op student."

-EDIT- Also, for the "liberal arts" requirement that Trogdor mentioned, if you're an IT major (which I think you are?) it counts for both the "Arts of Expression" and the communication elective. So, if you're looking to cut corners to make room for other awesome classes, take ASL 1/2 which'll cover those two electives, and turn it into an ASL concentration with only two more classes (ASL 3 and a deaf culture class).
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • I am debating whether to make my language focus on self learning on either French using DuoLingo or ASL, any thoughts?
  • ASL's a really cool language, but if you're not in an area with a prevalent Deaf community, it probably won't be of much use to you. That said, for those that you do interact with, they really appreciate the effort you put into communicating with them.
  • edited September 2012
    IIRC, ASL is actually the most widely "spoken" language in the world.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • edited September 2012
    That sounds like BS to me. There's got to be more Chinese speakers than ASL.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • IIRC, ASL is actually the most widely "spoken" language in the world.
    Doesn't ASL differ from place to place, so using it as a one language is kinda wrong.

• IIRC, ASL is actually the most widely "spoken" language in the world.
    False.
    Doesn't ASL differ from place to place, so using it as a one language is kinda wrong.
    Sign language differs from place to place, but ASL is ASL. If you go to England, they use BSL (British Sign Language), for example.