This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• Ugh, that's a very small number. I'm going to be living on the edge of the south for a while longer I guess.
  • I've been doing 31% for a couple years now and it's not so bad. A lot better than when I was spending around 10% and living with horrible roomates.
  • Having just signed a new lease myself, it seems that most places expect you to pay no more than 40% of your take home income on rent. Any more than that and they don't approve you. But yes, you want to be 25% or less if possible.
  • I was paying a bit over 40% this summer, but I'm a student and had crappy jobs, so I survived.
  • What is the deal with all the buying and selling of airline miles and other such bullshit?
  • It's sufficiently bullshit that I don't bother with it and use a credit card that just gives me gift certificates or cash.
  • Are you pondering what I am pondering?
  • Are you pondering what I am pondering?
    Sure Brain, but where are we gonna find chaps our size?
  • Which do you prefer:
    [Title] II: Electic Boogaloo; or
    [Title] II: It's straight up dawg time?
  • Which do you prefer:
    My vote has to go to Electric Boogaloo. It's classic.
  • Which do you prefer:
    My vote has to go to Electric Boogaloo. It's classic.
  • edited September 2012
    Here's a question, how many of you here have actually seen the movie that "Electric Boogaloo" is referencing to? I ask because the movie was released before many people were even born on this forum.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • You mean Breakin' 2? Of course I have.
  • Oh, I'm certain some people have and know, but I feel that most do not.
  • I have to admit that I haven't ever had the chance to watch it. I'd like to see it, just to see what everyone is talking about.
  • You mean Breakin' 2? Of course I have.
  • What are places other than Ikea to get decent furniture? In particular a new shelving unit for my HTPC, consoles, home theater system, and games? I need at least 4 shelves and that is at least 18" deep.

It's actually a lot more difficult than I thought to find a shelving unit that is over 18" in depth.

Bollocks.
  • You want good lasting furniture or functional, chuck-it-when-you-move furniture?

Go to a furniture store (not Ikea, a real furniture store) for the former. Just do a Google search for "[Your City] [State] Furniture" and then drive around and check them all out.
  • edited September 2012
    Ugh. I figured as much. I honestly don't need anything fancy, but I may just even go to 2nd hand stores and see what they have there.

If I hadn't already spent a lot of money, I would totally have Kerr & Sons make me some awesome custom things.
  • Amazon is also an option.

Crate and Barrel has decent furnishings for about double the cost of an Ikea equivalent.
  • I'm a big fan of Design Within Reach. It's like high-end Ikea for people like me, who want to go to one place and come away with an apartment that looks like a Bauhaus concept condo.
  • If you buy from Crate and Barrel go to the store, see if you like it, then order it online because its usually way cheaper (strangely).
  • edited September 2012
    I've never heard of Crate and Barrel until now. There are two stores in Washington. Of course in Seattle and Bellevue.

Surprisingly enough, I actually found an almost perfect one at Walmart.com. It meets the size specifications I want. It has drawers for the extra games and controllers I don't want the cats to mess with along with holes in the back for cords and wires.

I wonder how much weight it can handle. Also it's black, while most of my living room furniture has a wood/brown finish. It's very affordable and reviews for it for storing consoles and things sounds right up my alley.

I've looked as so many sites, from Amazon, Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, Aaffes Exchange (Military base shopping), and even Best Buy. None of them had what I was looking for.
  • I can attest the one near the university is bullshit. Rym is right in saying their stuff is horribly overpriced. Although they have a couple awesome couches.
  • I can attest the one near the university is bullshit. Rym is right in saying their stuff is horribly overpriced. Although they have a couple awesome couches.
    Agreed. If you have to go to one, go to the one in Bellevue Square. And then you can look at the prices and laugh like I did last time I was in there.
  • I'm not going to Bellevue. It's just a thing. It's so hoighty toighty and too far away and overpriced as well.

I went there begrudgingly for the first few PAXes and that's it.

I'm more than likely going to buy that Walmart one. It seriously is looking better and better to more I keep looking online.
  • It's not unknown for me to just build furniture. I'm building my own loft bed into the place I'm moving into in the near future.
  • It's not unknown for me to just build furniture. I'm building my own loft bed into the place I'm moving into in the near future.
    I would love to do that if I had more time. I had a lot of fun building the loft I used in college. I think I'm going to make a bed frame for my next bed though. The one my dad built for me growing up was boss.
  • edited September 2012
    It's not unknown for me to just build furniture. I'm building my own loft bed into the place I'm moving into in the near future.
    I would love to do that if I had more time. I had a lot of fun building the loft I used in college. I think I'm going to make a bed frame for my next bed though. The one my dad built for me growing up was boss.
    I also built all the tables that are at the place already, but they're very simple two-layer work benches, except for the kitchen table - Just a welded steel frame, with a layer of varnished MDF on top, and a layer of simply finished MDF on the bottom. I'll grab a picture sometime.

Post edited by Churba on