This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• edited September 2012
    IIRC, ASL is actually the most widely "spoken" language in the world.
    Doesn't ASL differ from place to place, so using it as a one language is kinda wrong.
    Yeah, if I tried the little bit of sign language I know, Either it'd seem like I was trying to ask a deaf prostitute if she'd take a cheque(literally, the only ASL signs I know are "Cheque" and "Show me your genitals"), or they'd be confused as hell, because the larger part of sign language I know is Auslan, not ASL. Throw someone speaking JSL into that mix, and it's like a love triangle, because nobody can figure out what anyone else really wants, while trying to convey what they really want to everyone else. I used to know a few in Jaralde too, but that's not relevant.
    False.
    Either someone told him, having misinterpreted this old study about populations requiring interpreters in court, OR he means that ASL is the most widely spoken Sign Language, which I'm not sure about, but I'd certainly think is possible, I know that I've seen ASL classes in both Australian and the UK, as well as presumably being able to learn it in the US.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • IIRC, ASL is actually the most widely "spoken" language in the world.
    False.
    Doesn't ASL differ from place to place, so using it as a one language is kinda wrong.
    Sign language differs from place to place, but ASL is ASL. If you go to England, they use BSL (British Sign Language), for example.
    Backing up this statement, ASL differs from person to person, let alone place to place. I was chatting it up with an interpreter in our department, who pointed out I shouldn't take signing advice from one of our other co-ops, because he's grown up with oralism (learn to lipread/make sounds, rather than primarily communicate with ASL). The kid knows ASL, but even so, signs differently than other deaf staff and faculty, who themselves sign differently than each other. Like, imagine using drastically different words to describe the same thing, though they're still both technically considered English. That's what accents are like in ASL.

• IIRC, ASL is actually the most widely "spoken" language in the world.
    False.
    Sign language differs from place to place, but ASL is ASL. If you go to England, they use BSL (British Sign Language), for example.
    Backing up this statement, ASL differs from person to person, let alone place to place. I was chatting it up with an interpreter in our department, who pointed out I shouldn't take signing advice from one of our other co-ops, because he's grown up with oralism (learn to lipread/make sounds, rather than primarily communicate with ASL). The kid knows ASL, but even so, signs differently than other deaf staff and faculty, who themselves sign differently than each other. Like, imagine using drastically different words to describe the same thing, though they're still both technically considered English. That's what accents are like in ASL.

Sounds like Schweizerdeutsch vs Deutsch.
  • edited September 2012
    Okay guys need a quick hand here. Hardboiled professors have SCIENCE POWERS they generate randomly by tinkering with their various inventions/ancient artifacts they are studying/weird cybernetic gloves their mentor left them/whatever. The idea is that a Professor has his field of study, and he can spend an hour to configure his black box, giving him to a selection of powers randomly within his field. So professors are sort of like wizards but without the ability to craft their evil powers to the challenges ahead.

The problem is the game is played entirely with D6, and I want more than six powers per field. If I use multiple D6, I get weighted results! What do?
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • edited September 2012
    Okay guys need a quick hand here. Hardboiled professors have SCIENCE POWERS they generate randomly by tinkering with their various inventions/ancient artifacts they are studying/weird cybernetic gloves their mentor left them/whatever. The idea is that a Professor has his field of study, and he can spend an hour to configure his black box, giving him to a selection of powers randomly within his field. So professors are sort of like wizards but without the ability to craft their evil powers to the challenges ahead.

The problem is the game is played entirely with D6, and I want more than six powers per field. If I use multiple D6, I get weighted results! What do?
    Split into even tables, assign each one a number or range on the die. Roll again for power on that table.

Post edited by Churba on
  • edited September 2012
    I was afraid it would come to that. Oh well, time to do that! I'll divide each power set into Offensive/Defensive/Utility, and maybe have a perk that lets you choose from those for one power instead of rolling...
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • edited September 2012
    I just bought a car and I wanted to splurge on getting some vanity plates. I haven't been able to think of anything doesn't have one of two problems: A, It's already taken by someone, or B: It's really pretentious.

This forum has some pretty clever folks on it. Do any of you have any suggestions?
    If I cant think of anything better I'll go with the best available idea I've had so far: "Waaaagh"

Edit: I'm in NY which limits me to 8 figures including spaces. The only usable figures are A-Z, 0-9, and a tiny little New York State.

Edit: They also have to pass actual human approval, so anything blatantly rude or obscene wont make it.
    Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • I just bought a car and I wanted to splurge on getting some vanity plates. I haven't been able to think of anything doesn't have one of two problems: A, It's already taken by someone, or B: It's really pretentious.

This forum has some pretty clever folks on it. Do any of you have any suggestions?
    If I cant think of anything better I'll go with the best available idea I've had so far: "Waaaagh"

\_8==D_/
  • I just bought a car and I wanted to splurge on getting some vanity plates. I haven't been able to think of anything doesn't have one of two problems: A, It's already taken by someone, or B: It's really pretentious.

\_8==D_/
    If only.

• What are some of your preferred apps for note-taking? I am a big fan of TiddlyWiki, which is a great wiki app contained within a single HTML file. However, apparently the hacks it used to allow itself to be a self-modifying HTML file are going away in newer browsers, so I'm not sure how much longer it'll be viable.

Ideally, I'd like something that's cross-platform, easy to install without too much hoop jumping, and keeps things in a single file (or collection of files) separate from the app itself that I can put in a git repository. Any suggestions?
  • What are some of your preferred apps for note-taking? I am a big fan of TiddlyWiki, which is a great wiki app contained within a single HTML file. However, apparently the hacks it used to allow itself to be a self-modifying HTML file are going away in newer browsers, so I'm not sure how much longer it'll be viable.

Ideally, I'd like something that's cross-platform, easy to install without too much hoop jumping, and keeps things in a single file (or collection of files) separate from the app itself that I can put in a git repository. Any suggestions?
    http://hnb.sourceforge.net/

• This forum has some pretty clever folks on it. Do any of you have any suggestions?

\_8==D_/
    I just bought a car and I wanted to splurge on getting some vanity plates. I haven't been able to think of anything doesn't have one of two problems: A, It's already taken by someone, or B: It's really pretentious.

\_8==D_/
  • edited September 2012
    Any recommendations for a good surge protector/ups? I am going to need one for when I plug in all the consoles, HTPC, home theater system, tv, and all that stuff.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Any recommendations for a good surge protector/ups? I am going to need one for when I plug in all the consoles, HTPC, home theater system, tv, and all that stuff.
    Since it's a home theater, there is no real reason to use a UPS. Home theaters use so much power that any reasonably priced UPS will be drained in under a minute. Games auto-save often, and they save to the cloud. The risk of damage of a sudden shutdown is not worth the cost of a UPS.

Instead, just get regular power strips. The more expensive power strip is not superior in any way. Just get cheap guys on Monoprice.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10907

This one looks good.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10907&cs_id=1090702&p_id=9201&seq=1&format=2

The only other recommendation is to get the squid style strips or a bunch of short extension cords to make wiring nicer and cleaner.
  • For Hardboiled, should I go with calling the atheletic/daredevil skill "Daring-Do", which is the spelling most used by the public, or the academically correct "Derring-Do"?
  • edited September 2012
    Thanks for the info. I was looking at this Belkin Surger protector while George was recommending to me this UPS.

I honestly didn't know what UPS really was vs. surge protectors and power strips. I have learned something today.

Edit: Another question. Has anyone used XBMC? Was it easy to install/customize/operate? My friend, Kevin, from ATW9K speaks highly of it.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • For Hardboiled, should I go with calling the atheletic/daredevil skill "Daring-Do", which is the spelling most used by the public, or the academically correct "Derring-Do"?
    Academically Correct is, contrary to popular belief, the best kind of correct, as determined by peer reviewed studies and Cochrane meta-analysis.

• It's almost as good as being technically correct.
  • Calling a Trillby a Fedora is technically correct, but that doesn't make it right.
  • George was recommending to me this UPS.
    CyberPower makes pretty reliable products, I've been using one of their smaller units for my PC for 3 years now. My battery died about 2 months back and I was incredibly disappointed when I found out I couldn't get a replacement battery for that unit.

I've since decided to just stick with APC for UPS's, twhile only quickly glancing at the stats, this one is probably roughly comparable to the CyberPower unit: APC BX1300
  • How does one sleep at night knowing there are in-costume furries in the hallway?
  • How does one sleep at night knowing there are in-costume furries in the hallway?
    Poorly.

Peacefully with horse tranquilizers.
  • Peacefully with a loaded gun.
  • Peacefully with a bottle of wine.
  • Very carefully.
  • Peacefully in a yiff pile.
  • Thank you for making that joke so I didn't have to.
  • So I'm trying to figure out what the maximum I should be spending on rent and the general consensus of the gov't is more than 30% of my income is considered burdened. However, they don't specify whether this is 30% of take home or gross. Since I live above the poverty line, there is a large gap between these two numbers.