This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• Ah, I admit my info is pretty out of date. Last I saw SQL injection was pretty easy because of easily overlooked syntax issues. Anyway if you're putting truly sensitive data behind a PHP front end, these bugs are the least of your concerns... :-P
  • Fair enough. :) I'm also coming at this from a guy who programs servers and other back-end stuff, not a web guy. However, I do follow security mailing lists as a hobby, hence why I pick up on some of the PHP stuff.

Apreche is big fan of Python and Django, though. Also, if you want something like a Wordpress/Drupal/etc. CMS or blog but don't want to roll one from scratch, there is Django CMS. Not only is it good enough for organizations such as Vodafone and PBS, it has a freaking pegasus pony as its logo. :)
  • You should just ignore everyone and actually do something. In all the time you spent researching and questioning you could have just setup the first thing you came across and been learning it already. Then if it doesn't suit your needs, you'll have the knowledge to go in the right direction already.
  • edited October 2012
    Despite any negatives, its a really good learning tool. Basically echoing what muppet said, WordPress has so much built-in stuff, its easy to use as long as you have a good source of reference (the codex). Its not great for huge sites due to aforementioned PHP flaws, but any regular Joe Schmoe site its great for. As for quality, the WordPress VIP guys seems to really be on their game. Too bad VIP costs moolah (and is a pain to update anything). As for security, you better make sure you update whenever a new version comes around. My old company had every site on their server hacked through one of their old WP sites. Speaking of that... *runs off to update old WP installations*

Edit: Go get an O-Reilly book on what you want to know and read it and follow along with the examples. For example, the CSS book with a fish on the cover (I forget the official name) is amazing. Emphasis on following along, like Scott says time and time again, doing stuff is the best way to learn.
    Post edited by Lyddi on
  • The O'Reilly Head First books are also amazing, especially if you're not a super experienced coder. My wife (a graphic/web designer who wants to branch out into some web programming) got recommendations for them (specifically the HTML5 and jQuery books) from someone teaching a JavaScript/jQuery class she took. I checked them out myself and found them both high quality and very easy to follow for beginners (based on how quickly an experienced programmer like me was able to breeze through them).

I'd probably suggest starting out with a Head First book if you're a beginner and then moving to one of the animal books when you're ready to move on to something more advanced.
  • edited October 2012
    Has anyone seen bags like this before and know where you can get one? SO COOL.

The bag is flat but the way it's designed, perspective makes it look all 3D and videogamey.

[Edit] FOUND THEM. WILL ACQUIRE.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Sail, are you gonna rock the Murse?
  • I would totally rock a murse no shame if I had one of these.
  • I find those bags to be a little creepy. Cool, but creepy, and I can't put my finger on why.
  • It doesn't look like it should be real. It looks a little like a bad photoshop.
  • I'm playing a pseudo-Halloween show next week and the theme is moe. Anyone have costume ideas for me?

Also, yes, that moe.
  • Go as a tank and if anyone asks tell them you're Mao-chan.
  • Now that I'm starting to adjust to college life, I'm getting the urge to to prepare my own food. Unfortunately, the only appliance I have available is a microwave. What are some cheap, easy proteins to use? So far, the only thing I've found that's affordable and not full of sodium that I can buy on campus is chicken patties, which are far from ideal.

Also, non-prepackaged microwave cooking in general.
  • Get a hot plate. Don't burn down your dorm.

You can't cook with a microwave. Just stop.
  • Get a hot plate. Don't burn down your dorm.

You can't cook with a microwave. Just stop.
    Not allowed. I'm doing the best I can here, man. I would kill for a fucking stove.
  • Start a fire somewhere and cook with that.
    Secret woods fire pit is a good start. I was a boy scout; I can handle it.
  • Wow, they really don't give you a stove or an oven? That's messed.
    Do the boy scouts actually learn to start fires anymore? The ones around here just seem to sell popcorn and go to indoor archery ranges when they're not doing glue-crafts in one of the local churches.
  • Now that I'm starting to adjust to college life, I'm getting the urge to to prepare my own food. Unfortunately, the only appliance I have available is a microwave. What are some cheap, easy proteins to use? So far, the only thing I've found that's affordable and not full of sodium that I can buy on campus is chicken patties, which are far from ideal.

Also, non-prepackaged microwave cooking in general.
    Two words.

Ham steak.
  • RIT had stoves in the lounges.
    Do the boy scouts actually learn to start fires anymore? The ones around here just seem to sell popcorn and go to indoor archery ranges when they're not doing glue-crafts in one of the local churches.
    We always started our own fires. We didn't build the fire pit mot of the time, but we learned a moderate amount of wilderness survival.
  • We hiked into the wilderness during blizzards and were very proficient at making fires (cub scouts: I never bothered with the boy scouts).
  • Hmm when I was in scouts you did everything. You cleared the ground, you built the pit, you measured a safe circumference around the pit and cleared all the brush, etc, and then before you left the site at the end of the weekend, you made it all look like there had never been a fire there, including replacing the sod plugs you'd taken out, if applicable.
  • They wouldn't let me do anything with fire in Scouts because I had an uncanny ability to make lanterns, stoves and anything else flammable explode.
    It varies from troop to troop. Some of them focus on camping hardcore, others almost never go outside. My troop was middle of the road, so I learned to make a fire, build a shelter and some basic foraging.

The advancement track is varied enough so that you can make eagle without having to do a ton of camping, but I'm fairly certain you still have to do at least a one camp-out per rank to get requirements.

• You can reach Eagle so long as you don't have the gay.
    Brown also had stoves in the lounges, or at least some lounges (though every dorm would have at least one stove-equipped lounge). Some of the dorms even had full kitchens. While I was on meal plan when I was in school, quite a few of my dorm-mates actually went off meal plan and cooked all their meals in our dorm kitchen. This was made easier when some of the local supermarket chains started offering internet ordering and delivery (though this took place a little bit after I graduated). A bunch of the off-meal plan residents would pool together and get a bunch of groceries ordered at the same time while sharing the delivery fee.
    In NRH, most of the lounges have been converted to quads, so we have to make due with kitchenettes. Plus, kids must be dumber than when you went here, because they have two signs up teaching kids how to make popcorn and easy mac, but there are still frequent evacs due to smoke detectors.
    In NRH, most of the lounges have been converted to quads, so we have to make due with kitchenettes. Plus, kids must be dumber than when you went here, because they have two signs up teaching kids how to make popcorn and easy mac, but there are still frequent evacs due to smoke detectors.
    Relevant video from the year before I came to RIT -