This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• That is still a high end CPU. And I'm willing to bet Silverlight is both better written than flash, and can easily be lighter because of it's nature of doing a lot less.
  • I believe this would be appropriate to the people here who use youtube, but...

How do I broadcast a livestream through youtube? My friends are participating in Extra-Life, and I want to do my part playing most of the day through my youtube channel and broadcasting the games I plan to play. I hear it involves having a Google Plus Account, but I'm curious if you all know the exact process so I can be prepared for Saturday.
  • I believe to get a proper live stream, you need to be someone important and ask Google directly. However, you can do a "Google+ hangout On Air", which is just doing a Google+ hangout, then clicking the On Air button somewhere on the screen.
  • I was wrong. http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/static.py?hl=en&page=guide.cs&guide=2474025 Looks like most YouTube partners can live stream. If you're a youtube partner, you can ask to be invited into the program.
  • I dunno if this would go here or in Popular Science, but I'm writing a WH40K fanfic and the main character, an Inquisitor, has a charged particle rifle. Now assuming the proper amount of miniaturization, what type of power range are we talking about here to get a beam of particles to be as destructive as a bolter (a .75 caliber semi-auto grenade launcher), and what kind of kick would that have when fired?
  • It's fictional technology that is at least several decades removed from anything we currently have. It's too far out to be considered more speculative than fiction. Specs are irrelevant.
  • I dunno if this would go here or in Popular Science, but I'm writing a WH40K fanfic and the main character, an Inquisitor, has a charged particle rifle. Now assuming the proper amount of miniaturization, what type of power range are we talking about here to get a beam of particles to be as destructive as a bolter (a .75 caliber semi-auto grenade launcher), and what kind of kick would that have when fired?
    Dude, its Warhammer 40k. The Inquisitor using the thing is going to have no fucking idea and probably isn't particularly aware of how electricity works at all. Fuck, the guy maintaining it probably doesn't know either.

Also, charged particle rifles already exist in 40k. They are called "Plasma Guns".
    Dude, its Warhammer 40k. The Inquisitor using the thing is going to have no fucking idea and probably isn't particularly aware of how electricity works at all. Fuck, the guy maintaining it probably doesn't know either.

Also, charged particle rifles already exist in 40k. They are called "Plasma Guns".
    I'm sure the Jokaero that made it has an inkling, but that's irrelevant. And considering the Inquisitor had to get a mechanical arm because of a plasma pistol exploding and burning her, she's none too fond of STC patterns.

But regardless, I'm gonna say it kicks like an astartes bolter, her augmetics just compensate for the recoil.
  • Jokaero aren't even sentient. They literately have no comprehension to the technology they make; they are living gateways into the mythical source of all technological knowledge, not engineers.
  • edited October 2012
    A particle weapon shouldn't have recoil at any setting. Physics.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • A particle weapon shouldn't have recoil at any setting. Physics.
    Actually, if it's firing particles that have mass, it would have recoil... Conservation of momentum/action reaction/etc. Now, it's possible that the recoil would be trivial if the mass is small enough, however, but this also depends on the velocity of the particles as well.

Actually, if it's firing particles that have mass, it would have recoil... Conservation of momentum/action reaction/etc. Now, it's possible that the recoil would be trivial if the mass is small enough, however, but this also depends on the velocity of the particles as well.

Alpha Particles accelerated enough to punch trough an M1 Abrams.

Where's Timo?

Particle weapons will have recoil at every setting. Source: My ongoing Physics Degree.
    Particle weapons will have recoil at every setting. Source: My ongoing Physics Degree.
    Back to my petri dishes!
  • Hell even I know that. For every action there is an opposite and equal reaction. The question becomes if I'm going to do damage with a rifle-sized accelerator would the recoil rip a humans arm off?
  • Hell even I know that. For every action there is an opposite and equal reaction. The question becomes if I'm going to do damage with a rifle-sized accelerator would the recoil rip a humans arm off?
    Probably the same amount of Power that a gun would need to do the same. Oh, and I do mean the physical definition of power, dE/dt. Though why you would use a particle accelerator instead of a gun is beyond me.

Probably the same amount of Power that a gun would need to do the same. Oh, and I do mean the physical definition of power, dE/dt. Though why you would use a particle accelerator instead of a gun is beyond me.

Why is the standard armament for the iconic army, the space marines, a .75 caliber semi-automatic grenade launcher? Why is a weapon (lasgun) that would be baller today and more powerful than anything we field currently the butt of most jokes? Why do the elves use weapons that fire monomolecular shuriken and filaments? Why would a man in a tank the size of a house demand that they drive closer so he can kill the enemy with his sword?

Because this is Warhammer 40k, that's why.

In an unrelated question, is Shadowrun any good?
  • Why is the standard armament for the iconic army, the space marines, a .75 caliber semi-automatic grenade launcher? Why is a weapon (lasgun) that would be baller today and more powerful than anything we field currently the butt of most jokes? Why do the elves use weapons that fire monomolecular shuriken and filaments? Why would a man in a tank the size of a house demand that they drive closer so he can kill the enemy with his sword?

My reason to question is a bit more pragmatic, bullets are the size they are because that is a roughly optimal size for something of such a density to kill a man (Note to self: Ask Churba if this is true). A particle accelerator capable of doing the same would have to be so much more complex to achieve the same aim.
  • Why is the standard armament for the iconic army, the space marines, a .75 caliber semi-automatic grenade launcher? Why is a weapon (lasgun) that would be baller today and more powerful than anything we field currently the butt of most jokes? Why do the elves use weapons that fire monomolecular shuriken and filaments? Why would a man in a tank the size of a house demand that they drive closer so he can kill the enemy with his sword?

My reason to question is a bit more pragmatic, bullets are the size they are because that is a roughly optimal size for something of such a density to kill a man (Note to self: Ask Churba if this is true). A particle accelerator capable of doing the same would have to be so much more complex to achieve the same aim.
    I'll give you that. Most of the weapons in the game are still kinetically propelled, with only the fleshy humans using pew pew lasers. I was thinking of a design similar to the Tau Pulse Rifle, which is just a mass driver that propels a ferromagnetic slug turned into plasma. I'm thinking the Inquisitor's weapon would use a charge pack of helium and a standard lasgun power pack.
  • I'll give you that. Most of the weapons in the game are still kinetically propelled, with only the fleshy humans using pew pew lasers. I was thinking of a design similar to the Tau Pulse Rifle, which is just a mass driver that propels a ferromagnetic slug turned into plasma. I'm thinking the Inquisitor's weapon would use a charge pack of helium and a standard lasgun power pack.
    Weren't you just championing "It's Warhammer 40k I don't have to explain SHIT"? That also sounds impractical, guns are about penetration, if you convert iron it to plasma it isn't going to be as effective or aerodynamic, admittedly while burning the hell out of you and possibly exploding on impact.
  • My reason to question is a bit more pragmatic, bullets are the size they are because that is a roughly optimal size for something of such a density to kill a man (Note to self: Ask Churba if this is true).
    Note to everyone else - He did, and my answer was "Dunno." Some are, I assume, but I don't know enough to give a decent answer.

• edited October 2012
    I'll give you that. Most of the weapons in the game are still kinetically propelled, with only the fleshy humans using pew pew lasers. I was thinking of a design similar to the Tau Pulse Rifle, which is just a mass driver that propels a ferromagnetic slug turned into plasma. I'm thinking the Inquisitor's weapon would use a charge pack of helium and a standard lasgun power pack.
    Weren't you just championing "It's Warhammer 40k I don't have to explain SHIT"? That also sounds impractical, guns are about penetration, if you convert iron it to plasma it isn't going to be as effective or aerodynamic, admittedly while burning the hell out of you and possibly exploding on impact.
    It works for the Tau somehow. They've got the longest range for standard infantry and they beat out the aforementioned grenade launchers for strength.

Edit: I mentioned the pulse rifles use a magnetic mass driver, though I dunno if that matters compared to a chemical propulsion system.
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • Dude fuck there is a time and a place for thinking about the specific mechanics, and Warhammer 40k is ten thousand years and four warp jumps from that place. He has an archeo-tech gun built by a technopathic space gorilla. He points it, a beam comes out and the unfortunate thing he was aiming at gibs terribly. His sidekick goes "Wow guvner, me lasgun couldnt done that, no sir, not in a thousand years." and the space marine he's chilling with goes "Indeed, it appears on par with our holy bolter... and is therefore heresy!" and then more violence happens.

40k is a setting where the most common enemy are sentient, warlike green fungi. It gives no fucks!
  • I tried that tack but GreyHuge wanted to continue making sense.
  • It works for the Tau somehow. They've got the longest range for standard infantry and they beat out the aforementioned grenade launchers for strength.

Edit: I mentioned the pulse rifles use a magnetic mass driver, though I dunno if that matters compared to a chemical propulsion system.
    Repeat after me: It works for the Tau, which are a race in a work of fiction, and therefore it doesn't actually work for anyone.

• Nah sketchbook is right. Warhammer 40K and anything resembling proper physics do not go together.
  • Nah sketchbook is right. Warhammer 40K and anything resembling proper physics do not go together.
    ...But it's so much fun to read! I would love to see more scientific breakdowns of 40K physics.
  • Oh boy, I can point you towards some serious stuff in that regard. People doing yield calculations on imperial warship guns (an imperial battleship could blast the mass of Australia into low orbit) or working out exactly how many imperial guardsmen there are (trillions). Fun stuff.
  • My phone just died for good, so I need a Virgin Mobil non-smart phone, preferably small but with a physical keyboard. Any recommendations?