This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• What songs come to mind when you think of pieces of music that you hear and are immediately reminded of a scene from a movie that it was paired with?
    "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" and the elevator scene in (500) Days of Summer.

• What songs come to mind when you think of pieces of music that you hear and are immediately reminded of a scene from a movie that it was paired with?
    Any song that sounds even remotely like "Run Rabbit Junk" will instantly bring to mind that scene in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

• Okay given that they are the same price, between the Apple iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy SIII, which should I get?
  • What's the best place to eat at JFK airport? I'm stuck here for about 9 hours.
  • edited October 2012
    Depends what you want. If you're looking for something light, it's deep blue or croque madam, aka Crook Maddie's. If you want a proper meal, you want to head over to the Palm for steaks, or there's this Italian joint called Aero Nova or something like that - I only went once, but it's was pretty tasty.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Are you in the Jet Blue terminal? They have this seafood fusion place.
    They also have a Muji store.
  • Yes. I have to head over to terminal 4 at around 3, but until then I'm just going to chill and peruse. And eat.
  • Okay given that they are the same price, between the Apple iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy SIII, which should I get?
    S3
  • Can we stop the flame wars please? Pretty please?
    We can't. The flames from these wars may be the only warmth our cold pitiless hearts will ever know.

• edited October 2012
    Okay given that they are the same price, between the Apple iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy SIII, which should I get?
    What are your telephone use cases? There are pros and cons to both phones, so to get truly informed advice, we need to know specifically what you want out of a phone.

Personally, I'd go with the 5 for two reasons, one of which may not even apply to you. The first reason is that I'm a long time iPhone user and I'd want to keep using the same apps, etc., without having to rebuy them. The second is that I don't trust any Android phone that isn't from Google itself to do OS upgrades right. If I were ever to jump ship to Android, it would only be to a Google Nexus phone of some sort, whatever the current generation at the time is.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • I really miss iPhoto/iTunes integration from my iPhone, but not enough to regret getting my tablet phone (Galaxy Note). If you're an all around Apple user, iPhone makes a lot of sense unless you have a very strong use case for features of non-iPhones. In my case the tablet functionality wins over the seamless integration I'd otherwise have.
    Is that what you call a flame war? We haven't even insulted each other's mothers yet.
  • FWIW, if the comparison was between the iPhone 5 and the Google Nexus phone, then the issue of screwing up Android OS upgrades and stuff wouldn't apply.
  • How bout we keep that Reddit/VA discussion to one thread? That would be nice.
  • Best reason to get the S3 over the iPhone: Apple Maps.
  • Best reason to get the S3 over the iPhone: Apple Maps.
    Only until Google gets off its ass and releases an iOS maps app. :P

Best reason to get an iPhone over the S3: The S3 is vulnerable to a malicious remote factory reset. :P

Yeah, I know it's been fixed in the S3, but Samsung has already stated they aren't going to fix it in the S2. Still, it concerns me that given this hole, which only exists in the crapware Samsung piles on top of Android and not Android itself, I wonder what other holes may be lurking in Samsung's crapware. Plus, again, I don't like how they won't fix the S2.

Nothing against Android -- however, if you're going to buy an Android phone, buy a Google Nexus. They won't screw you over with crapware or stupid OS patching/upgrade policies like all the other Android vendors seem to do.

• Nothing against Android -- however, if you're going to buy an Android phone, buy a Google Nexus. They won't screw you over with crapware or stupid OS patching/upgrade policies like all the other Android vendors seem to do.
  • Why can't Java and Flash get along?
    Because the two are completely different technologies, designed for completely different purposes, made by completely different companies?
  • Would anybody happen to know of a place on the internet where I could watch After School Midnighters?

Because the two are completely different technologies, designed for completely different purposes, made by completely different companies?
    Yes, so why then do they insist on taking the same resources and thus beginning the power struggle that slows everything to a crawl?
  • Not so much taking the same resources -- just taking lots of resources, period. Resources are finite, after all... plus most browsers don't handle plugins all that well anyway -- especially crappily written ones like Flash and, to a lesser extent, Java.
  • Not so much taking the same resources -- just taking lots of resources, period. Resources are finite, after all... plus most browsers don't handle plugins all that well anyway -- especially crappily written ones like Flash and, to a lesser extent, Java.
    And thus I can't play youtube music while playing Minecraft.
  • Don't use flash for youtube music. Use something that just streams the audio. Musictube is probably good. I like Minitube by the same guy.
    And thus I can't play youtube music while playing Minecraft.
    If you can't play youtube music while playing Minecraft, I suspect something much worse is going on with your system than just Java and Flash fighting over resources. Unless Minecraft is just that much of a resource pig in general.
  • Minecraft is pretty piggy.
  • edited October 2012
    It's not (so much of a pig that you can't run Flash and it at the same time). I've played Netflix (Yeah, silverlight, but same diff at times) and Minecraft regularly on a pre-sandy bridge mobile i5.
    Post edited by Neito on