This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• 24 miles in one day is pretty aggressive for a hike. Since you're asking for pack advice, I assume you don't hike regularly. Are you taking a 24 mile one day hike as your intro to hiking? Seems like a terrible idea. :-)
  • 24 miles is easy even if you're not a regular hiker... if you're in excellent physical shape. Actually excellent shape. As in, my level of physical shape (I run a few miles almost every day).

You'll also need real hiking shoes, or at least trail runners. Anything else will literally fall apart en route. ;^)
  • Sweet christ make sure that you have worn them in other wise you will get sore feet and blisters. Be sure that they have some good ankle support, water proofing is dependant on where your going.
  • I honestly eschew ankle support and wear trail runners for almost all hiking. But I don't really recommend that for anyone who isn't both experienced and very strong.
  • I dunno. I was in OK physical shape in my early twenties and I think a 24 mile hike would have killed me, but I do most of my hiking in/around Sleeping Giant, where the terrain is extremely hilly and in some places you might benefit from climbing gear (though it's not required). It definitely depends on the terrain.

I think my maximum was a mostly impromptu (the guy telling us where to go got us lost and we ended up at a trail head in another town) 26-ish mile hike and I was not a very happy guy at the end of that, especially when we ran out of water for the last two hours. But, I didn't die.
  • I honestly eschew ankle support and wear trail runners for almost all hiking. But I don't really recommend that for anyone who isn't both experienced and very strong.
    I usually wore Teva sandles on trails that included novice rock climbing...
    I'd advise it for people starting out and based upon where they are going. For instance it doesn't matter if its a well worn path, but I'd go for it if I was going of trail and heading into the Welsh country side.

• Yeah. Hiking boots without ankle support work fine for some people, not so fine for others. It's definitely a personal preference thing, I know people who would defend hiking boots to the death.

Personally, I stay away from anything with a grade of more than 2%.
  • Mount Beacon's trail grade is over 30% for much of the initial ascent. ^__^
    Yeah, fuck that. You guys gotta get your trail maintenance under control, letting it get to that much of a grade is absurd.
  • edited October 2012
    I am in decent shape, I can swim for 1 hour straight and I can run 6 miles at least 4 times a week (if time allows it).
    I got boots from Gorilla USA, and they are super comfy (their website sucks by the way).
    I think I will go and get me a camelbak for that hike, since I don't want stuff to fall apart on the middle of the way :D
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • It depends on what else your taking with you, how long you think it will take you, emergency stuff.
  • RymRym
    edited October 2012
    Mount Beacon's trail grade is over 30% for much of the initial ascent. ^__^
    Yeah, fuck that. You guys gotta get your trail maintenance under control, letting it get to that much of a grade is absurd.
    That grade is with switchbacks. It's by design. It's also fucking awesome. I used to run up the fucker once a week. My record was 22 minutes for the full ascent.

Breakneck Ridge's defined trails have a several lengthy near-vertical segments that require scrabbling and often bursts of actual climbing.
    Post edited by Rym on
    That grade is with switchbacks. It's by design. It's also fucking awesome. I used to run up the fucker once a week. My record was 22 minutes for the full ascent.

Breakneck Ridge's defined trails have a several lengthy near-vertical segments that require scrabbling and often bursts of actual climbing.
    Joking aside, 30% grade is no joke. That's a killer trail.

• edited October 2012
    30% is a huge grade. I'd guess Rym's probably overestimating by at least half.

EDIT: Nevermind, I was thinking in degree terms. 30% is a bit steep, but not quite killer.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • edited October 2012
    Mount Beacon's trail grade is over 30% for much of the initial ascent. ^__^

Joking aside, 30% grade is no joke. That's a killer trail.

Yes it is, but it's totally worth it.

Actually, I think it's steeper than 30%. IIRC, it's a 1400 foot ascent in ~0.9 miles.

EDIT: My bad. 1800 feet in a full mile. 30% on the nose, or very nearly.

Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • That's a lot of rise over not much run.
  • RymRym
    edited October 2012
    That's a lot of rise over not much run.
    Yeah. It's awesome. The view at the top is spectacular as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rym/sets/72157603539301036/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rym/sets/72157603543615879/

Surprisingly, I don't seem to have a lot of pictures anywhere from the actual peak: they're all from the lower one where the old hotel ruins are situated.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Where would one go to buy those smoke bombs that you throw at the ground rather than light? I really just want to "Ninja vanish!" at random times.
  • I've always presumed they are movie special effects. The actor throws the thing down and an existing smoke bomb is set off remotely. I could be wrong.
  • I've always presumed they are movie special effects. The actor throws the thing down and an existing smoke bomb is set off remotely. I could be wrong.
    The smoke grenades from Counter-Strike are what happens in reality. It's not an instant poof of smoke. It's a fast streaming release of a pile of smoke that hangs around, if it's not too windy.
  • The smoke grenades from Counter-Strike are what happens in reality. It's not an instant poof of smoke. It's a fast streaming release of a pile of smoke that hangs around, if it's not too windy.
    That's only for when you want large clouds of smoke, not man-sized ones.

Will it be much harder to paint my car with that hood scoop? I was going to use a stencil to apply the Aquila on it.
  • The smoke grenades from Counter-Strike are what happens in reality. It's not an instant poof of smoke. It's a fast streaming release of a pile of smoke that hangs around, if it's not too windy.
    Yep, this is true. "Real" smoke grenades are illegal in the US (as far as I know), but you can buy cold burning ones online. The small pull-string grenades can fill a room in about 5-10 seconds, and the large green ones can fill a street in about 30-45 seconds. Here's some friends and I rushing through some smoke about 15 seconds after it fired, with moderate wind:

(if the time link doesn't work, go to 4m 2s in the video)
  • Smoke grenades are wonderful. They're a lot of fun. Spreading a few out can effectively mask a large field, provided that wind isn't super heavy.
  • edited October 2012
    Mhmm. I still have a few smaller smoke grenades sitting in my bedroom. What I really like are pea grenades, though. Dropping one through a door then charging in? Beautiful.

EDIT: Also, because they look like this:
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • If you do a bunch of building-storming, pick up some Thunder-B's. They're used as training flash-bangs, and they work really well. They don't really flash, but they bang super loud. Really, really fun.
  • edited October 2012
    I've always presumed they are movie special effects. The actor throws the thing down and an existing smoke bomb is set off remotely. I could be wrong.
    The smoke grenades from Counter-Strike are what happens in reality. It's not an instant poof of smoke. It's a fast streaming release of a pile of smoke that hangs around, if it's not too windy.
    Oh I figured in movies and stuff it was something like that, but I thought maybe there would be something similar in real life. Maybe something like Poppers but bigger and with some other powder added to create a tiny bit of smoke. I really don't need simulation smoke grenades or anything like that. I have a few of the basic kind you light if I want something to produce a lot of smoke. I really only want them so I can "ninja vanish".
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on