This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• edited November 2012
    Didn't Rym and Scott do an episode on rogue-likes before? I thought I listened to one a couple of years ago, but I can't find it in the archive.
    I think it was discussed, but I don't believe it was as a "main bit."
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • edited November 2012
    What's the general opinion on Subway (the restaurant chain) in this forum?

I genuinely love their sandwiches, but as with all fast-food it has to be taken only occasionally. Anyway, I was very happy when I discovered that one of their franchises opened in my region about two weeks ago. I visited it three times so far (yeah, indulged myself a little) and they became really popular really quickly since I had to wait like half an hour on two out of three occasions.

And if you like it, what's your favorite sandwich to get? So far I love the chicken teriyaki with cheddar (toasted) on cheese oregano bread with tomatoes, salad and onions, plus sweet onion sauce.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • The... things that Subway produces qualify as sandwiches only in that they have food items placed in between two pieces of bread. Perhaps I've been spoiled by DiBellas and good delis in NYC, but Subway is a last resort for when the only other options are on par with McDonalds.
  • edited November 2012
    I work at Subway right now, but I can't eat bread so it's salads for me. I usually bring my own veg and add the Tusacan chicken, pulled pork, or the pastrami depending on what it is that we have in store at the time. If my store ever gets the crispy chicken back I'll be eating some gluten free sandwiches with that on it instead. Love that crispy chicken and chipotle sauce and jalapenos.

But yeah, I'd recommend going someplace better. Most everything we have can be found at other stores and is of better quality.
    Post edited by Banta on
  • My favorite sandwich to get is the Ron Swanson Special. All the meat they offer, between two bits of Italian herb, in a footlong. Salt and pepper, and maybe a little lettuce and cheese, but not much.
  • edited November 2012
    The thing is that here we don't really have the sort of deli as you americans have. Or rather, we do, but they're all integrated into supermarkets for buying cold cuts and perhaps a Kaiser roll with some sliced meat and a piece of cheese and some veggie slices (usually pickles) on them. Some chains do offer some sandwiches with a whole range of ingredients, but they are restricted to a few pre-made variants and not made-to-order, and from what I have eaten so far they aren't that much better than Subway. Single deli shops, like I've heard Rym and Scott talk, really don't exist here.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • My favorite sandwich to get is the Ron Swanson Special. All the meat they offer, between two bits of Italian herb, in a footlong. Salt and pepper, and maybe a little lettuce and cheese, but not much.
    Reminds of this one fellow the other night. He wanted a spicy+tuna+buffalo chicken+bacon sandwich with two kinds of cheese and lettuce and pickles, no sauce.It looked horrifying but the man swore by it.

Reminds of this one fellow the other night. He wanted a spicy+tuna+buffalo chicken+bacon sandwich with two kinds of cheese and lettuce and pickles, no sauce.It looked horrifying but the man swore by it.
    Oh yeah, I don't get fish. Not a big fish guy, really. And when I say all the meat, that's not hyperbole. I mean one of everything that used to be alive. Except the fish.

• Going to reserve comment here about this blog entry concerning one family's experience with Sandy. I'm curious what impression other people get from this piece:

http://ggfashionista.com/post/34842514178/powerless-a-first-person-account-of-the-hurricane-from
  • How about you give us some impressions first? It's a 6,700 word long, unprofessionally written piece with very few paragraph breaks. I'm not even going to start something that length unless I have a better reason than "I'm curious what impression other people get from this piece". Help us out here.
  • Eh, you're probably right. I shouldn't pick on her as it's not like this is getting a lot of attention or anything. I was just struck by how incredibly entitled the author comes off, which feels like an accomplishment given that she ended up in a veritable warzone and certainly has some right to be upset.
  • edited November 2012
    Eh, you're probably right. I shouldn't pick on her as it's not like this is getting a lot of attention or anything. I was just struck by how incredibly entitled the author comes off, which feels like an accomplishment given that she ended up in a veritable warzone and certainly has some right to be upset.
    She kind of lost me when she said "trolling facebook and twitter for updates" and then later is going on about how she had to "get dolled up" for her sister's Engagement party a few days after the storm hit.

This storm was pretty accurately forecasted in terms of strength and location.Their refuasal to heed warnings to evacuate, or at least properly prepare makes me angry.

I feel slightly bad, yet want to punch her in the face at the same time.

EDIT: I'll just note that I lived through Hurricane Andrew when I was younger, I've seen terrible devastation first-hand, we went nearly a month without power then. Although without the freezing temperatures...
    Post edited by Reol on
  • I think child services should come interview her about her parenting judgment.
  • I refuse to go to Subway anymore. They used to be good, but now they're just terrible. Now that I have way more options on where to get my sammiches Subway never crosses my mind. I had to tolerate them because when I was studying late night at the student building or library all I had to choose from in the cafeteria was usually Subway or Panda Express.
  • I've got exactly zero reason to go to Subway. I can drive a bit farther and get a cheaper, tastier Bahn Mi from any of the the dozens of Vietnamese places in Orlando. Or another kind of sammich from a better chain for maybe $1 more.
  • Eh Subway isn't that bad. Jimmy Johns is better but I'd still take Subway over a lot of shitty fast food.
  • edited November 2012
    Subway is tolerable. The Chicken Bacon Ranch, Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki, and Meatball subs have a lot of bang for one's buck.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Subway is arguably my first choice among el-cheapo fast food chain places. It's not that great, but it could be worse, and it's usually cheap and fast.
  • I got my worst case of food poisoning ever from a Subway.
  • I'm on that Chick-Fil-A tip now that they don't give money to hate groups.
  • So what happens with Obama's second term if he wins the electoral vote but not the popular vote?
  • So what happens with Obama's second term if he wins the electoral vote but not the popular vote?
    The same thing that happened with President Bush: he gets a second term.
    The same thing that happened with President Bush: he gets a second term.
    I mean what does it mean for his popularity?
  • Probably nothing. Popular vote is always split very closely; it's the downside of a SMDP voting system that we see so much partisanship, more than anything else.
  • Realistically, it means that there's always a background hum of "not the real president" which might mean that it's harder to push things through. It might mean that Republicans have another talking point when mid-term elections come around.
  • You know, part of me wants to just get rid of the electoral college so that our votes count directly and its just a more straightforward system. The other part of me really doesn't have much faith in the american public...
  • All I'd like to do is clear the path to change; give third parties an easy way to rise to power if the people believe its worth while. I think a party that added this to their otherwise standard platform could get significant traction. Remember, we have had two third party presidents -- but then I may just be optimistic after watching Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson (Goddamn that's a good play, I'd love to see Luhrman make a film adaptation.)
  • edited November 2012
    In order to get third parties to mean more on the long term one thing we would need to change is how people vote, not just getting rid of the electoral college. First-past-the-post voting would need to be replaced with some form of preferential voting. Even then the outrageous cost of campaigning combined with a uninformed voters would still give them a tough time. At least changing that electoral system would help the people who do not want to vote for their favorite candidate if it means that the worst of the top two candidates wins.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • Why do so many supposed professionals feel the need to default their emails to 18 pt italicized purple text in a weird font?
  • Because we never really grow up.