This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• You guys are gonna get a tale of Crohn's Disease like you've never ever wanted. Keep it up.
    I thought that was hereditary, not caused by poor eating habits.
    What's that got to do with participation in a poop thread?
    I think he interpreted "get a tale of Crohn's Disease" as "get Chohn's Disease".
    Yes. This.
  • Soba noodles or Udon noodles? Which is better? Just curious.

(Hint: It's soba.)
  • Udon noodles, obivously.
  • Nice try George, but you spelled "soba" wrong.
  • Nice try George, but you spelled "soba" wrong.
    Oh shit, you're right. Thanks. :P
  • Udon is king.
  • edited October 2012
    Miyazaki's got my back: (1:50)

Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited October 2012
    I like udon because they're fat and squishy >_>

Edit: I do love me some yakisoba though. In fact, I have both udon and soba noodles in my fridge right now, wondering which one I should make for dinner...
    Post edited by Lyddi on
  • The victor of this flame war shall decide Lyddi's dinner!
  • Judging by the length of flame wars on this forum, she'll be damned near dead of hunger before we have a winner.
  • edited October 2012
    I should be the winner because Scott is for Udon. Therefore, Ro > Scott=Soba > Udon.

I just had a really delicious Trader Joe's soba noodle salad. I like soba because it's thinner and agrees with my digestive process and doesn't feel so heavy in my stomach. Also it's delicious cold and hot.

And my final point: Ro > Scott.

Also, so far 4 people from the FRC are claiming Udon. I think it maybe an East Coast thing.
  • Ramen is closer to Soba than it is to Udon, so I'll take that.
  • Udon because not Ro!
  • (ノД`)

George, we can no longer be friends. Ծ_Ծ
  • If that's the way it's got to be. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • (`∇´)/~~~

So long.
  • I'm on the east coast, so I guess it's the almighty power of two Scotts standing behind Udon.

(But I like soba too, being completely honest about it.)
  • edited October 2012
    Technically it's 3 Scotts, because ScoJo said on Twitter: " Udon Wins! I love the thick noodle goodness, size matters :-p"

I thought most guys say that size doesn't matter.
  • I thought most guys said that size doesn't matter.
    We're lying...
  • Some topics on this forum seem to have significant lag for me. I've noticed it happens with other tabs on Chrome as well, but usually reloading the page fixes that. What's up?
  • It updates on time in Firefox - perhaps Chrome is loading from cache even when topics get new posts.
  • Not that it loads slow, but scrolling is laggy and typing has a significant delay. I notice it happens more in threads with more posts and lots of images or youtube videos.
  • Can anyone recommend a good, affordable ($100-$200) preferably ($100-$150) hiking backpack? I've seen discussions of backpacks before and I know some of you have outdoor experience.
    Not sure about prices, but I have 1 that's Kelty branded and lasted for a good while (replaced due to burning smell). I also have a REI branded one that hasn't been heavily tested but I haven't had any issues with so far.

Really your best bet is going to look up online a few things in that range to get an idea of what you can afford, then go to an REI or equivalent. Real hiking backpacks need to be adjusted to fit you and if you don't know how to, you wont do it right. REI will do this when you buy a pack, as should most other reputable shops.

• Honestly? Unless you're going waaay off-grid or for very extended multi-day hikes, get a camelbak.

They're great hiking backpacks (specifically get one with the chest strap/brase or it will be useless. The VantageFit one looks pretty good on a cursory glance.
  • What about for a one day 24 mile hike, do you think a normal backpack would cut it?
  • Just about any durable pack with a chest strap is fine as long as you're not going for multi-day hikes. I use a (very, very, VERY) old Abercrombie & Fitch canvas bag that I've added my own chest strap to. The canvas airline-style straps are very comfortable and don't chafe unless they get soaking wet (at which point just about anything will chafe).

I used to use big framed packs in the scouts and they were total overkill for day hikes. They're really only useful if you really need to be able to manage your center of gravity as you would hiking for days to avoid fatigue from an unbalanced burden.

I try to keep my water on my belt rather than in my pack, or hang it from the straps in the front.
  • Ive been using a shitty 20 liter bag for the last couple of years and it has done all my needs. Depends on what hike your going on but in all honesty you don't need much.
  • What about for a one day 24 mile hike, do you think a normal backpack would cut it?
    Normal backpacks usually suck ass. They don't distribute the weight well. Your shoulders will hurt, your back will hurt, and it might well break on you