This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• Arkham Horror is a seven hour committee meeting. Do not get. I dislike Ascension and would recommend not getting it, but its not as painfully bad.
    The problem with coop games is if there's no hidden information, there's essentially one player. If there is hidden information (from other players) then you're constantly trying to figure out how to get it across.
  • edited November 2012
    This is probably a naïve question, but why don't if statements have finally statements like try-catches do. I've often had code that does one thing if a happens, another if b happens and something that should happen if either happen. I end up with pretty wet (not following the DRY principle) code that looks like this.

if (a) {
    //code specific to a
    //final code for both
    }
    elif (b) {
    //code specific to b
    //final code for both
    }
    This can be mildly improved with this

void finalCodeForBoth() {
    //final code for both
    }
    if (a) {
    //code specific to a
    finalCodeForBoth();
    }
    if (b) {
    //code specific to b
    finalCodeForBoth();
    }
    but that's still a bit wet and ugly.

You could also do this

if (a) {
    //code specific to a
    }
    elif (b) {
    //code specific to b
    }
    if (a || b) {
    //final code for both
    }
    but that gets pretty messy if you have a lot of complicated conditions. I might be wrong about this but it also appears to require a and b to be re-evaluated.

I think something like this makes a lot more sense.

if (a)
    //code specific to a
    elif (b)
    //code specific to b
    finally
    //final code for both
    Why doesn't this exist? I understand if statements aren't the end-all-be-all but this still seems like a simple feature that could clean up code and resources of a common language construct.

PS: Why does <code> either leave a space like

this {
    //indented
    }
    or fuck up my indentation like
    this {
    //indented
    }
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • edited November 2012
    if (a) {
    //code specific to a
    }
    elif (b) {
    //code specific to b
    }
    if (a || b) {
    //final code for both
    }
    You could store your conditions in boolean variables to avoid your code getting messy and repetitive:
    boolean a = !x && y;
    boolean b = x && z;
    if (a) {
    //code specific to a
    }
    elif (b) {
    //code specific to b
    }
    if (a || b) {
    //final code for both
    }
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • edited November 2012
    Why not just do this?

a = !x &&
    b = x && z;

if a:
    f(a);
    elif b:
    g(b);
    final();
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • if (a) {
    //code specific to a
    }
    elif (b) {
    //code specific to b
    }
    if (a || b) {
    //final code for both
    }
    You could store your conditions in boolean variables to avoid your code getting messy and repetitive:
    boolean a = !x && y;
    boolean b = x && z;
    if (a) {
    //code specific to a
    }
    elif (b) {
    //code specific to b
    }
    if (a || b) {
    //final code for both
    }
    That still doesn't help much if you have many conditions

if (a || b || c || d || e || f || g || h || i || j || k || l || m || n || o || p || q || r || s || t || u || v || w || x || y || z) {
    //final code for all the things
    }

but I guess you're not supposed to have that many conditions anyways.
  • edited November 2012
    Why not just do this?

a = !x &&
    b = x && z;

if a:
    f(a);
    elif b:
    g(b);
    final();
    final() executes if neither a or b return true.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Why not just do this?

a = !x &&
    b = x && z;

if a:
    f(a);
    elif b:
    g(b);
    final();
    That executes if neither a or b return true.
    Oh, then I would actually do it like this, which is only slightly different from what trogdor did.

if (a or b):
    if a:
    # do A
    if b:
    # do B
    # do finally thing
    This also doesn't make the false assumption that b and a both can't be True siiiimultaneously.
  • That still doesn't help much if you have many conditions

if (a || b || c || d || e || f || g || h || i || j || k || l || m || n || o || p || q || r || s || t || u || v || w || x || y || z) {
    }

You missed the point.
    boolean a = b || c || d || e || f || g || h || i || j || k || l || m || n || o || p || q || r || s || t || u || v || w || x || y || z;
    if (a) {
    }
    //other ifs and elses and stuff
  • edited November 2012
    To make a broader point, this kind of code usually only happens when inheritance is not used, or not used properly. Code could look like this.

class P(Object):
    def do_thing(self):
    # default/finally behaviour

class A(P):
    def do_thing(self):
    # do A-specific thing
    super(A) # will cause the default/finally behavior to happen

class B(P):
    def do_thing(self):
    # do B-specific thing
    super(B) # will cause the default/finally behavior to happen

#now pretend x is a collection of instances of class P, which could be As or Bs or Ps.

for things in x:
    x.do_thing();
    No if statements at all. That is the object oriented way. That is why dynamic and object oriented languages are often lacking the switch/case/finally/default statement.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited November 2012
    That still doesn't help much if you have many conditions

}

You missed the point.
    boolean a = b || c || d || e || f || g || h || i || j || k || l || m || n || o || p || q || r || s || t || u || v || w || x || y || z;
    if (a) {
    }
    //other ifs and elses and stuff
    I understand boolean variables and see how your solution can help but I still think

finally {
    }

is better than both

}

and

if (a) {
    }

Post edited by Pegu on

• if(a || b)
    {
    if(a)
    f(a);
    else
    g(b);
    final();
    }
    But again, that's kind of messy. If you have a whole group of variables (and need final code for different groups), consider just having extra booleans as flags for certain cases.
  • edited November 2012
    To make a broader point, this kind of code usually only happens when inheritance is not used, or not used properly. Code could look like this.

class P(Object):
    def do_thing(self):
    # default/finally behaviour

class A(P):
    def do_thing(self):
    # do A-specific thing
    super(A) # will cause the default/finally behavior to happen

class B(P):
    def do_thing(self):
    # do B-specific thing
    super(B) # will cause the default/finally behavior to happen

#now pretend x is a collection of instances of class P, which could be As or Bs or Ps.

for things in x:
    x.do_thing();
    No if statements at all. That is the object oriented way. That is why dynamic and object oriented languages are often lacking the switch/case/finally/default statement.
    I understand if statements aren't the end-all-be-all
    I do see how my if, elif, finally thing wouldn't be that useful because it asserts that a and b are not both true and I guess an additional long if statement is better than that. I hadn't given much thought to elif being "ifThisOtherThingDidn'tHappenButThisDid" and was using it as more of an "otherRelatedIf"
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • edited November 2012
    First of all, that doesn't really match up with the logical conception of what a finally block does, because the finally block for a try-catch-finally is supposed to execute pretty much no matter what, which doesn't correspond to your version that triggers only if one of the if blocks did.

The object-oriented approach suggested by Scott works OK here, though I don't think object-orientation is the solution to each and every problem and it's not necessarily a good idea for this type of thing.

However, if you were to have an example with 26 many different conditions, that is definitely the kind of situation where an if statement doesn't seem like the right solution anyway, and OO solutions and the like start to look better.

On the other hand, if your conditions are in fact not mutually exclusive, as others have said, the best idea is probably something like Scott's:
    if (a or b):
    if a:
    # do A
    if b:
    # do B
    # do finally thing
    This also doesn't make the false assumption that b and a both can't be True siiiimultaneously.
    The alternative is something like this:
    finally_needed = False
    if a:
    # do A
    finally_needed = True
    if b:
    # do B
    finally_needed = True
    if finally_needed:
    # do finally thing
    which is, I think, Linkigi's second suggestion.

On the whole, this is a situation where I would have to see the specific example before I could tell you what I think the best way to do it would be.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • However, if you were to have an example with 26 many different conditions, that is definitely the kind of situation where an if statement doesn't seem like the right solution anyway, and OO solutions and the like start to look better.

On the whole, this is a situation where I would have to see the specific example before I could tell you what I think the best way to do it would be.
    Luckily I don't have such a gimped example and was speaking theoretically. I thought this construct could help clean up a bit of code but didn't realize it introduced the problem of mutual exclusivity.
  • edited November 2012
    The alternative is something like this:
    finally_needed = False
    if a:
    # do A
    finally_needed = True
    if b:
    # do B
    finally_needed = True
    if finally_needed:
    # do finally thing
    which is, I think, Linkigi's second suggestion.
    That's the same as
    void finalCodeForBoth() {
    //final code for both
    }
    if (a) {
    //code specific to a
    finalCodeForBoth();
    }
    if (b) {
    //code specific to b
    finalCodeForBoth();
    }
    isn't it?
    Edit: I guess this would execute the final code twice in the case of both being true where Linkigi's wouldn't.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • I agree object orientation is not a solution to every, or even most, problems. I was just demonstrating how projects that make use of inheritance greatly reduce the need for complex conditional structures in a general sense. To figure out whether it is the right answer in this case would require a lot more context.
  • edited November 2012
    Edit: I guess this would execute the final code twice in the case of both being true where Linkigi's wouldn't i.
    Precisely.

I just worked out how to do what you originally wanted (i.e. in situations where they are in fact mutually exclusive).
    condition_met = True
    if a:
    # do A
    elif b:
    # do B
    elif c:
    # do C
    else:
    condition_met = False

if condition_met:
    # do finally thing
    I think that's the cleanest solution.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I just worked out how to do what you originally wanted (i.e. in situations where they are in fact mutually exclusive).
    condition_met = True
    if a:
    # do A
    elif b:
    # do B
    elif c:
    # do C
    else:
    # condition_met = False

if condition_met:
    # do finally thing
    SNAP
  • edited November 2012
    SNAP
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • lack's solution or Scotts is best. Otherwise alternate solutions would if to have if's then another function that determines if a || b. You could do it other ways. The problem being that your code is just focusing on what you mostly find "aesthetically pleasing". Neither offers much in the way of efficiency. Ideally depending on how much work your finally needs putting it all in the same code block would be best, but honestly probably not the best for readability. I try to avoid nesting as much as possible because it severely limits readability. I feel similarly about multiple if statements.

The main thing you should consider is segregating unique computations into their own functions/methods. Personally I think this does the most for readability and comprehension.
  • ...and lackofcheese wins the thread.
    SNAP
  • I can dig it.
  • Any good ideas for a homemade recoil pad?
  • edited November 2012
    My work shoes are coming apart at the seams, so I need some new ones. I want a pair of work boots. Anyone know of a reasonably priced (no more than $60) pair of reliable boots? Also need them to be black.
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • edited November 2012
    These weird little jagged lines have shown up in the corners of all my Firefox windows, but no other windows. At first I thought they were dead pixels, until I tried dragging the window around. Any idea what this is?

Post edited by Sail on
  • Nevermind I just ordered these: http://www.magnumboots.com/us/product-spider-5-1-urban-black.html . Thoughts?
    Looks decent enough.

• Looks like claw marks. 'Swhat happens when you keep a fox.
  • Anyone else here who does 3d stuff; are there any good tutorials or resources out there for doing really low-poly character models? I'm talking like, Quake 3-ish era.
  • I realize states do this differently, but I just renewed my drivers license and either I can't see well at all or I was using the thing improperly. When I put my head to the machine, I saw two complete sets of the things we were supposed to read stacked on top of each other. I still passed it, but that made it REALLY fucking difficult...