This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• How does Kite get a live action remake before Cowboy Bebop?
  • How does Kite get a live action remake before Cowboy Bebop?

Because people care about Bebop?
  • edited December 2014
    Can someone (Sonic? Rym?) recommend me a good 3d surround sound headset/microphone for sub $100? Ideally closer to $50 than $100, but I'm open to suggestions. I need something primarily for gaming to replace a 5+ year old one I had that was made of plastic and all the parts are slowly breaking (and there's only so much epoxy and glue can do).
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • edited December 2014
    For that price, you're probably going to be best off with the Logitech G930. I hear it has good simulated surround. It's currently only $15 more than it's wired equivalent and runs from USB alone so no need for an extra sound-card.

A step up from that is a soundcard and a good set of stereo headphones but that'll run you $100+$100 which is what I use (Open back headphones work best but do let most sound in.).
    I have this setup and it gives me pretty solid eight directional location.

Top of the line is the Tiamat 7.1 and soundcard at around $200+$100 which is specifically for games, music won't sound as good as an equivalent stereo set. Churba swears by this for really fine location.

As always, check past prices on CamelCamelCamel.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • This year for Christmas at TvHQ, we're doing a record themed tree, For ornaments we're making mock LP labels, and the topper will be a 45, but I'm having trouble figuring out what to do for lights. Any ideas? It doesn't strictly need to be vinyl related, if its music based in some other way.
  • This is less of a question and more of a rhetorical rant. Adobe Creative Cloud has good automatic updating right? So why the fuck is Adobe Flash Player such a pain in the ass to update?
  • *rhetorical shrug*
  • Pegu said:

This is less of a question and more of a rhetorical rant. Adobe Creative Cloud has good automatic updating right? So why the fuck is Adobe Flash Player such a pain in the ass to update?

Catering to all of the different SKUs of flash player, from different browsers to apps would be my guess but someone more informed than me could give you a better answer. Hasn't been as problematic for me since I moved to Chrome.
  • Anyone live near Springfield, VA that can help me with shipping a package?
  • Who else likes to bring personal computer equipment to use at their job (keyboards, mice, etc.) and if so, what?
  • Mice for work laptops. I can't stand touch pads.
  • Who else likes to bring personal computer equipment to use at their job (keyboards, mice, etc.) and if so, what?

Keyboard, mouse, headset, laptop. If I didn't already have an aeron chair at work, I'd buy one and ship it to the office.

• I have the same keyboard at work and home

Microsoft Natural Keyboard. It died last year, and I found I was actually ok with the cheap default Dell keyboard once I fixed it into place. My keyboard demands have apparently mellowed.
  • This was originally ok, but if it were to happen now, I have to get it approved by IT.

You can't plug anything into the USB ports or you will get in serious trouble.
  • Rochelle said:

This was originally ok, but if it were to happen now, I have to get it approved by IT.

You can't plug anything into the USB ports or you will get in serious trouble.

Are they that paranoid about the infamous BadUSB security hole?

I already have a couple of things at my office, but since I got a Das Keyboard for home, I'm thinking about getting a second one for work.
  • edited January 2015
    Why don't desks don't have a greater range of height adjustment?
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • Is privilege location based?

I constantly hear a lot of griping about "white privilege" in America but it got me to thinking, is it location based or is it universal? Are there other attributes that can cancel it out or make it permanent?

I tend to believe that everyone who is in the top 1% has "financial privilege" that trumps all else as long as they look the part. The millionaire actor on holiday dressing like a scrub checked their privilege at the door. I also think that being an American can have positive or negative privilege based on where you go that may or may not be countered by wealth (target.) Thoughts?
  • HMTKSteve said:

Is privilege location based?

I constantly hear a lot of griping about "white privilege" in America but it got me to thinking, is it location based or is it universal? Are there other attributes that can cancel it out or make it permanent?

I tend to believe that everyone who is in the top 1% has "financial privilege" that trumps all else as long as they look the part. The millionaire actor on holiday dressing like a scrub checked their privilege at the door. I also think that being an American can have positive or negative privilege based on where you go that may or may not be countered by wealth (target.) Thoughts?

In my experience, yes and no. I'm a tejano, (you would say mexican, but that's not right) and usually white-skinned unless I catch a lot of sun, so most people take me to be caucasian, but I have encountered racism and discrimination throughout the southwest, but not in other areas. Certainly not in Detroit, where I currently live and have spent most of my life. I've gotten away with crimes for no reason and I've seen my black friends harassed for simply being black. I've definitely had more opportunity than the vast majority of black people I know, and I can go for a walk without fear of being stopped and fucked with by the police. For that matter, I've been assisted by the police on several occasions, which would a totally surprising and novel event for any of the black people I know. There is a definite racist trend among the uneducated majority (ie; poor/poorer whites), which I have witnessed in interracial social situations, legal matters, in hiring and firing, and in their own private conversations. For most blacks around here, this inequity is simply a fact of life and I get more upset by it than them.
  • HMTKSteve said:

I also think that being an American can have positive or negative privilege based on where you go that may or may not be countered by wealth (target.) Thoughts?

I'm not sure which country they would be considered to have more privilege in (unless invading it or if you're Jack Bauer).
  • sK0pe said:

HMTKSteve said:

I also think that being an American can have positive or negative privilege based on where you go that may or may not be countered by wealth (target.) Thoughts?

I'm not sure which country they would be considered to have more privilege in (unless invading it or if you're Jack Bauer).
    Relative to other white foreigners.

If a three whites (American, Russian and French) were to be in the UK together would their be a separate privilege hierarchy based on nationality or would just being white make them all equal?
  • HMTKSteve said:

sK0pe said:

HMTKSteve said:

Relative to other white foreigners.

If a three whites (American, Russian and French) were to be in the UK together would their be a separate privilege hierarchy based on nationality or would just being white make them all equal?
    All 3 would be equally made fun of but the American would get more flak than he/she is use to.

Some other European nations may have negative aspects assigned to them by idiots (because idiots exist everywhere).
  • I've got about $200 of free Amazon money to spend. Should I use it to get into Netrunner, or get a bunch of boardgames?
  • Neither. Make some of your mp3 library legit on the music store.
  • edited January 2015
    Banta said:

I've got about $200 of free Amazon money to spend. Should I use it to get into Netrunner, or get a bunch of boardgames?

Get just one Netrunner core set. It's $30. Treat it like any other two player board game. Don't buy anything else unless you find out you are going to be super serious. Super serious means you play multiple times per month, and at least one tournament per month. If you end up playing it that seriously without quitting, buy all the things, which is more than $200. Right now it will cost about... $430. You can save a bunch of money by finding someone who made a mistake and bought a bunch of cards, but is now quitting and selling it all.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • So, if one assumes that 9/11 was an inside job (which I don't believe it was), why all this nonsense about planted explosives and holograms? Wouldn't the most obvious and easiest method be that the government hired these hijackers and the attack was otherwise as it seemed? That would at least satisfy Occam's razor.

I could (and maybe should) make a blog out of conspiracy theories that didn't but should've taken off.
  • edited January 2015
    So I was walking to the buss and some abortion protesters were kinda just standing at the edge of the parking lot with their four foot tall signs resting on the ground. One of the signs had a sonogram of a fetus and read in all caps "the body inside your body is not your body. I had to fight the suprisingly strong urge to (politely) tell her possession is nine tenths of the law.

My questions to you are: 1) am I a bad person? 2) Can anyone think of a better line?
    Post edited by spikespiguel on
  • So I was walking to the buss and some abortion protesters were kinda just standing at the edge of the parking lot with their four foot tall signs resting on the ground. Onr of the signs had a sonogram of a fetus and read in all caps "the body inside your body is not your body. I had to fight the suprisingly strong urge to (politely) tell her possession is nine tenths of the law.

My questions to you are: 1) am I a bad person? 2) Can anyone think of a better line?

Nah, I got nothing.
  • Anyone have experience with induction cook tops and double ovens? It is time for me to replace my current electric range and while I would love to go to gas I don't have had now and I don't have an ideal location for a tank. Instead I am looking at purchasing an induction range with a double oven. Any tips or anecdotes to help me select the proper replacement would be appreciated.
  • What do people do for exercise during the winter months? I want to try and be healthy, but it hurt real bad to try and pick up running again last week in the cold. I was coughing for over 2 hours after that.