This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• Apreche said:

Winamp could manage iOS devices, if memory serves.

I highly doubt that still works.
    Last I checked, it does it by interfacing with iTunes. It uses some hooks (not sure if they're documented or undocumented) to talk to iTunes to do the heavy lifting.
    Fascinating. That still works with an upgraded iTunes?
  • Apreche said:

Apreche said:

Winamp could manage iOS devices, if memory serves.

I highly doubt that still works.
    Last I checked, it does it by interfacing with iTunes. It uses some hooks (not sure if they're documented or undocumented) to talk to iTunes to do the heavy lifting.
    Fascinating. That still works with an upgraded iTunes?
    I haven't tried in ages... as I use a Mac to do all my syncing with my phone right now anyway (though next hardware update cycle, I'm switching back to Windows for my primary desktop).
  • Okay, build or buy a home NAS?
  • Okay, build or buy a home NAS?

I bought. It's just easier.
  • If you have an old computer lying around with enough hard drive bays and drive connectors, then just buy a shit ton of big drives and use FreeNas.
  • Why are all movies and TV shows on Google Play and iTunes hobbled with 2.1 audio rather than surround sound?
  • sK0pe said:

Why are all movies and TV shows on Google Play and iTunes hobbled with 2.1 audio rather than surround sound?

there ar peeople who think they had HDTV but it's not setup properly. Almost nobody has surround sound setup properly. Even if they do, almost no devices actually support surround playback properly. It's even difficult to get a standard windows PC to do it over a TOSKink cable. Providing a surround track will cause more tech issues for the non surround users (99.9%) than it will increase sales among the five people who even notice.
  • To skope's question: Your receiver probably supports Dolby DTS while Netflix uses Dolby Digital Plus.
  • Omnutia said:

To skope's question: Your receiver probably supports Dolby DTS while Netflix uses Dolby Digital Plus.

I'm not using Netflix, I was look at the raw files on the computer.
    The many Bluray rips and discs I play in my HTPC are functional in my 5.1 surround system, I was just looking at having a digital library and many of the files are listed as not being surround sound as far as the iTunes and Google Play files I was looking through.

I've played Dolby Digital Plus fine through my receiver.
  • Do any of you have experience with Patreon? It looks cool, but I'm not sure what to do for some of it.
  • I saw one guy use Patreon. He got all of $1. That's the full extent of my experience. I don't know your situation, but this guy was a pretentious self-titled CEO asshat that shit talks for days and he was surprised that his "friends" didn't all jump up to fund his life goal of being a "content creator."
  • Greg said:

Do any of you have experience with Patreon? It looks cool, but I'm not sure what to do for some of it.

How not to Suck at Patreon
  • Need advice: what is the first icon/symbol that comes to your mind when you think of Saria from Ocarina of Time that represents her character more than the game?
  • Her song, but that's not an image. Maybe the forest medallion?
  • edited November 2014
    Ooh. Good idea. I need a symbol for an upcoming project. And it's easy enough to incorporate into my project.

Danke.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Is Haribo a popular candy brand in the U.S. or even sold throughout the U.S.?

I ask because I'm watching the Flyers - Kings game in the Kings have an ad for Haribo on the boards. However, I have never seen any commercials or any other advertising on american TV for it. Perhaps I'm watching during the wrong time of day, but Haribo is very popular and they even buy commercials during prime time TV in germany and austria.
  • edited December 2014
    Gummy frogs or GTFO.

I think they are the more popular gummy. I've tried several of their different varieties. Gummy frogs and cherries are my favs.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Most people will probably give you a confused look if you ask about Haribo. Ask about gummy bears, and the light bulb will turn on.
  • Rochelle said:

Gummy frogs and cherries are my favs.

I think this is the start of a beautiful candy-based friendship, Ro.

• Haribo is a word used when my friends want to be gummi connoiseurs.
  • ThatGent said:

Haribo is a word used when my friends want to be gummi connoiseurs.

Quite.
  • Aren't those the ones that are laxatives?
  • chaosof99 said:

Is Haribo a popular candy brand in the U.S. or even sold throughout the U.S.?

I've seen quite a few commercials for Gummy Bears that mention the Haribo brand over the past couple of years.
  • I mostly know their gummy bears and to a lesser extent gummy worms.
  • Most people wouldn't recall or recognize "Haribo" unless they were in the store and noticed that it was the label on their gummy bears/worms/
  • If you don't Sour S'ghetti then we have a problem.

• Now you're talking my language. Tied for favorite with the Sour Cherries.
  • I could do with some European Haribo so badly. American haribo tastes kinda the same but it's not that close.
  • My sour candy preference is for the little watermelon slice shaped ones I pick up at the local supermarket.

• These are terrifying. Who watched human centipede and said "Delicious!"?

That said they are good and I currently have 2 bags of them.