This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• Are you suggesting we use our hands like weapons? Are we animals sir?
  • edited May 2012
    Are you suggesting we use our hands like weapons? Are we animals sir?
    These are elegant weapons of a more civilized age, sir, not as clumsy or as random as self-defense gadgetry and pageantry.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Or just use nothing because you are going to college in upstate New York, not inner city Detroit.
  • Anything can be used as a weapon. Those policies are usually focused on projectile weapons and pointy things. In all likelihood, a kubotan is fine. Also in all likelihood, you will never need to use it, or if you do you won't have the presence of mind to get to it. Are you trained with one?

Before carrying anything for self defense, you should always consider how effective you will be with it and how easily it can be taken away and used against you.
  • edited May 2012
    Or just use nothing because you are going to college in upstate New York, not inner city Detroit.
    Don't trust him, guys, this is all part of his plan to give you a false sense of security so that you'd be defenseless when he comes to RIT and hits you with sticks.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Before carrying anything for self defense, you should always consider how effective you will be with it and how easily it can be taken away and used against you.
    This is why I don't and won't own a gun and live ammo.
  • I own no weapons. I'll bleed all over people though. Let's see how they feel about that.
  • Before carrying anything for self defense, you should always consider how effective you will be with it and how easily it can be taken away and used against you.
    This is why I don't and won't own a gun and live ammo.
    I own lots of guns, but I don't carry any for self defense.

If I felt the need to actually carry something for self defense it would be a gun. However, if you're going to commit to carrying a gun (or any weapon) you need to practice with it. For example, I practice coming out of the holster and getting on target. I also practice shooting quickly at close range. Practice practice practice.
  • edited May 2012
    I just wasn't sure about the "other weapons" part. I looked through the New York law a referenced and didn't see anything, but I just wanted to double check.
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • Are you suggesting we use our hands like weapons? Are we animals sir?
    These are elegant weapons of a more civilized age, sir, not as clumsy or as random as self-defense gadgetry and pageantry.
    Wait, you mean like the Miss America contest?

• edited May 2012
    Are you suggesting we use our hands like weapons? Are we animals sir?
    Wait, you mean like the Miss America contest?
    Hey, I might not have won the swimsuit competition, and I might have been barred from all future pageants, but NOBODY will forget my talent entry.

Post edited by Churba on
  • I myself am a card-carrying member of the "nearest pool cue or beer bottle" camp.
  • I just wasn't sure about the "other weapons" part. I looked through the New York law a referenced and didn't see anything, but I just wanted to double check.
    New York state law is ridiculously restrictive on hand weapons of all types.

Criminal possession of a weapon is defined as possessing any of the following: electronic dart gun, electronic stun gun, gravity knife, switchblade knife, pilum ballistic knife, metal knuckle knife, cane sword, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, metal knuckles, chuka stick, sand bag, sandclub, wrist-brace type slingshot or slungshot, shirken or "Kung Fu star".

Those weapons are ones where it is illegal just to posses them. If you add intent to use to it the list expands to include any; dagger, dangerous knife, dirk, razor, stiletto,
    Imitation pistol, or any other dangerous or deadly instrument or weapon

Your Kubotan is Legal, unless you at any point intend to use it. If you posses it with intent to use then you are guilty of criminal possession. Even if the circumstances excused the use of force (i.e., self defense), you could still get nailed for charges of possession.

It's unlikely that any LEO would ever give you trouble for having it, but if you ever had to use it they would have to throw the book at you.

Even objects with clear non-violent uses (i.e.: machetes, wrenches or bottles) become illegal weapons when possessed with intent. This means carrying anything at all for self defense in New York without a concealed weapons permit isextremely risky. There are still a lot of folks who feel that it is worth the risk. Like my NRA buddies say: "I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6".
  • edited May 2012
    I still think the best defense for muggers is a decoy wallet with a few $20's in it.

Otherwise...Pocket Sand!
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • Do New York subways stations have maps in them?
    Yes......

Only tourists look at them.
    Gee, I wonder why?

• When Moe and I would look at the map, just for kicks or out of boredom, we would frequently get asked by some guy if he could help us find something. It's like a pathology. OH TOURISTS, MUST HELP! No guy, it's cool; I can read a subway map. But thanks for asking. :)
  • edited May 2012
    When Moe and I would look at the map, just for kicks or out of boredom, we would frequently get asked by some guy if he could help us find something. It's like a pathology. OH TOURISTS, MUST HELP! No guy, it's cool; I can read a subway map. But thanks for asking. :)
    So true! New Yorkers love to give directions to tourists. They are obsessed with it. It's like a validation of their New Yorkness when they have the answer!
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • What would the reaction be if someone were to start asking questions they can't quite answer?
  • So true! New Yorkers love to give directions to tourists. They are obsessed with it. It's like a validation of their New Yorkness when they have the answer!
    Same here, too. Though I did take particular amusement at giving directions to English people. More than once, did people approach Omnutia and I when we were walkin' around lookin' around - we're approachable sorts, I guess, despite that I often looked, according to Fred, like a thug - and people would ask directions, Fred sometimes didn't know, but I sometimes would.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/menu.aspx?menu=1173&company=997

Is there any chance that this won't end up being disappointing? (I have 0 experience with these types of games.)
  • It will be disappointing. It's a 99% guarantee.
    I ask because some friends are gonna be touristin' up thereabouts this summer and they were wondering. So I asks you New York peoples.
  • It won't be disappointing if you don't play it.
    It's from Fantasy Flight and is carrying a 6.7 on BGG. It's probably decent.
    Ah, but since you expect it to be crap, that means it won't be disappointing to you.
    Ah, but since you expect it to be crap, that means it won't be disappointing to you.
    I would still be disappointed with myself if I do something such as spend time playing it or pay money for it.

• It'd be cool if it was something like Wings of Glory