This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• Yeah, I was really surprised that it was in that condition. It had some camo netting shit on it, and some camo duct tape so that may have protected it.
  • You should make that your new avatar.
    ...And change you name to Sergei.

• If you were offered a legit copy of Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 for $10, would you purchase it?

Because of my employer I get that offer. I know I can use OpenOffice, Google Docs, and other things out there, but I'm not going to say no to a legit copy of something that I use A LOT at work.
  • Yes, I'd buy it.
  • Yes.
  • I would buy three.
  • edited May 2012
    Can you resell them? Because that's a business right there.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • That's what I thought. Thanks, gubment!

George, you can have your sammich. I'm getting Office. :P
  • Can you resell them? Because that's a business right there.
    I'd buy that for quite a few dollars!
  • I would buy three.
    Yeah. Basically, Open Office is about as good as the Gimp. Annoying sometimes, lacking some features that most people don't care about, but good enough. It's definitely not worth retail prices of Office to get anything better.

But. Office is just better. In pretty-much every way except cost. I have it at home because it came with a PC I bought.
  • But. Office is just better. In pretty-much every way except cost. I have it at home because it came with a PC I bought.
    Well, it also lacks on cross-platform support. If you only use Windows or if you use both OS X and Windows and limit yourself to features across those platforms, you're fine. However, if you need something with the same features across all the platforms it supports (in my case, I use the OpenOffice database quite a bit), including Linux, than Open/LibreOffice is your best bet.
  • edited May 2012
    Since MS Office and LibreOffice support each other's formats, I think that for the most part you wouldn't experience any issues using both. Granted, there's probably some features you would have problems with, but I don't know of any offhand.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Well it's one license per employee. I can get the Windows or Mac 2011 version for $10/each. To add language packs, it's an additional $10/language. I don't think I need any other language.

I can add a backup DVD for $13, but I don't think I will need one as long as I can save the install file on DropBox or some cloud service, right?
  • Well it's one license per employee. I can get the Windows or Mac 2011 version for $10/each. To add language packs, it's an additional $10/language. I don't think I need any other language.

I can add a backup DVD for $13, but I don't think I will need one as long as I can save the install file on DropBox or some cloud service, right?
    I did a similar purchase from a previous employer a few years back. Assuming this is more or less the same program, yeah, you don't need the backup DVD. You can just save the install image (along with an email or something containing the license code). I'd make two backups, one to a cloud service and one to a local DVD-R or something myself.
  • My employer offers the same discount, I have been meaning to jump on that for a while.
  • Since the engineering college IT department STILL hasn't removed my special admin account from active directory, I can just log into the file server on campus and get a whole shit ton of software for FREE. I'm talkin Office 2010, LabView, every autodesk CAD software... basically thousands of dollars of software. Note: I stopped working for them in August.
    Also, even though I changed out of computer science and into CTVA two years ago, I STILL have access to MSDNAA. So there's Windows 7 Ultimate and a crap ton of other Microsoft operating systems and software.

Some may say that it's wrong, but to that I say "Pfft. Their laziness and poor practices ain't my problem. I'm technically authorized for all that shit."
  • Yo, hook me up with some Office 2010 keys so I can ditch LibreOffice, dawg.
  • For realzies, dood.
  • Yo, hook me up with some Office 2010 keys so I can ditch LibreOffice, dawg.
    Me too, along side with Windows 7. :P
  • Do any RIT students know whether a kubotan is allowed? I'm thinking of getting a metal one with no point.
  • I would think so. If not, get a metal sharpie. It would probably work just as well.
  • Do any RIT students know whether a kubotan is allowed? I'm thinking of getting a metal one with no point.
    I don't know, but here's the student conduct handbook. Maybe you can find your answer there?
    http://www.rit.edu/studentaffairs/studentconduct/rr.php
  • The only thing I noticed was "Illegal or unauthorized possession of firearms, explosives, other weapons or dangerous chemicals on Institute premises" and something as simple as a kubotan probably isn't too high on their radar.
  • It all depends on the definition of "other weapons." I think we know someone who recently graduated law school that might have an opinion on the matter.
  • True. They make shit vague like that on purpose so that they can interpret whatever they want as a weapon. At my school they only seem to consider things with projectiles to be weapons. I could get in trouble for having a nerf gun but I'd be totally ok carrying around a machete, because technically it is a tool. My friend was even allowed to have a sword by technicality since they do have a fencing class, although it was a katana and he wasn't taking fencing. You'll probably be ok if you have a kubotan but if you do get in a fight and use it to defend yourself, you do run the risk of getting in trouble for it. I have a couple Kubotans and honestly, I still say a sharpie would probably work almost as well. Buy one of these.
  • A self-defense key fob? Just use your fucking keys, they make excellent temporary brass knuckles.
  • Yeah, or a big study carabiner. There are plenty of legal things out there that you can use.
  • Me and my friends play a game where we choose one innocent object in the room and figure out how to kill a (non-specific) person with it.
  • Jesus christ, does anyone just throw a fucking punch anymore?