This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• Is there a word for recursive nostalgia? Example: in the 90s we were nostalgic for the 70s when we were nostalgic for the 50s, ergo the resurgence of interest in Greese.
  • What's everyone else going to do while the rest of the world is sucked into Diablo 3?
  • What's everyone else going to do while the rest of the world is sucked into Diablo 3?
    Torchlight 2.
  • Coming Summer 2012
    Probably Fallout: New Vegas, Dark Souls, The Witcher 1, and Bastion. Maybe even Mass Effect 3

I may also pick up Mount and Blade: Napoleonic Wars as a graduation present to myself.
    The same thing they normally do.
    Still. Writing. Paper. >_< I'm almost at my page minimum, and I still have 4 pages of additions and revisions to go through. This is definitely gonna be more than 20 pages.

I'll be playing Diablo 3 with them.
  • I'll be playing Diablo 3 with them.
  • edited May 2012
    There's a Japanese word that roughly means "nostalgia for a place or time one never experienced." Does anyone know what it is?
    I don't know the Japanese word, but I know that feel bro.
    Teabagger.
    Generally, nostalgia itself is sort of that anyway. When it comes down to it, the feel of nostalgia has nothing to do with the place and a lot more to do with the situation of the person at the time, usually because they are young and things are easy. A person born in 1950 doesn't remember the 60s positively because he remembers the 60s; he remembers the 60s positively because he is remembering his childhood and assumes everyone else must have been having as much fun as he was.

I get nostalgic for literately every time from 1870 to now. It's like this weird break in my brain where I can't think about a part of the 20th century without wanting to experience it and believing the experience will be positive. It's totally weird because I know it's complete bullshit; right now is the best things have ever been and for all our fears, things are probably just going to get better.

Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • edited May 2012
    It's totally weird because I know it's complete bullshit; right now is the best things have ever been and for all our fears, things are probably just going to get better.
    Until climate change obliterates the feasibility of large scale agriculture and we hit peak oil, anyway. Then we're fucked, and nothing can change that.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Oh, of course. But humans are pretty good at problem-solving when we're down to the wire. We should be concerned, of course, but I'm actually pretty confident that smart, attractive scientists in oversized nerd glasses, with the help of grizzled oil rig workers played by Bruce Willis, can solve the problem in time.
  • I'll be playing Diablo 3 with them.
  • Since we were talking about japanese terms earlier: Anybody know what those popsicle stick lotteries are called? You know, when your popsicle stick says either "Win" or "Lose" on it and you can hand in winners to get another popsicle?
  • Napoleonic Wars is pretty incredible, still. I think I've got about 35 hours into Warband and its' various mods, and I'm still going strong.
  • Some friends of mine from out of country are going to be visiting NYC and California (L.A., San Fran, and Napa) this August and want to visit the cool places. What are the places that are cool?
  • edited May 2012
    In LA: the Getty Museum, Griffith Park Obvervatory, Sunset Blvd and Hollywood Blvd, Venice Beach, Little Tokyo, LACMA, and Olvera Street.

In SF: Chinatown, Ghirardelli Square, the Haight-Ashbury district, the Exploratorium, blanking on others but P_TOG could probably tell you.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Them being Chinese, Chinatown was already on the docket, but the rest is new, thanks!
  • SF is just a good place to walk around and explore in general, so I'd recommend that to them as well.
  • edited May 2012
    In SF: Chinatown, Ghirardelli Square, the Haight-Ashbury district, the Exploratorium, blanking on others but P_TOG could probably tell you.
    I have never been to SF as a tourist, so I don't know anything about the 'cool places to visit' and stuff like that. One time I was on a pier and there were a lot of seals on a rock. That was pretty cool. But mostly,
    SF is just a good place to walk around and explore in general, so I'd recommend that to them as well.
    that.

AT&T Park is pretty cool, if they want to see a baseball game or something.
    Post edited by P_TOG on
  • You should check out this thread:

http://forum.frontrowcrew.com/index.php?p=/discussion/7172/im-coming-to-new-york/p1

For SF, I suggest hiring a bike somewhere around the piers, riding down the sea front, across the golden gate bridge, and taking the ferry back. It's a really good day out.

The Exploratorium is closed on a Monday. I found out the hard way.
  • edited May 2012
    EDIT: Nevermind, there's a thread for this.
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • Is there a way to change the font size for only certain characters in a browser? I'd like to make Japanese characters display at a larger size than western characters. Maybe some sort of script that will change the font size for characters in a certain unicode range?
  • SF is just a good place to walk around and explore in general, so I'd recommend that to them as well.
    This. Also, if they want a beautiful view of the Pacific, I would suggest going to the Sutro Baths, a ruined 19th century bath house (once the largest in the world, I believe). Picnicking there, then walking south along the coast, makes for a very relaxing day. Plus, there's brilliant photography you can do there.
  • Is there a way to change the font size for only certain characters in a browser? I'd like to make Japanese characters display at a larger size than western characters. Maybe some sort of script that will change the font size for characters in a certain unicode range?
    Try Rikaikun, it will pop out the text you highlight and provide a translation.

• Try Rikaikun, it will pop out the text you highlight and provide a translation.
    Which is lovely, but I don't really want the translation all the time, I just want it big enough that I can see it properly. I may just set the translation off by default.
  • edited May 2012
    What did people think of my old avatar of Luigi giving an O-face? It was a relic from an old forum I used to post on. The image was from a clip of Japan's Mario Kart DS commercials, with four different forumites each taking on one of the different racers. I never realized how awkward it looked out of context until right now...

Face for reference below:
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • Schnevets, my avatar is Fluttershy. There's no judgement going on here.
  • There's no judgement going on here.
    I've somehow gotten away with this stupid username for however many years I've been here. Linkigi speaks truth.
  • What did people think of my old avatar of Luigi giving an O-face?
    Somehow I always thought that was you wearing a costume.