This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Minecraft Contest: Tertius (READ FOR UPDATE)

Comments

• Loving the server. I started a network of tunnels in a hill and capped it with an (almost complete) angled glass roof, built out past Cielmort's tower.
  • I understand the appeal of those tools, but they aren't much use without being able to plan around the topography. Environment is a huge part of MC.
    I've seen them use it on some major projects. Mostly they would give you a chunk to build in sketchup and a starting point.
  • 1) I am building a vast, glass-roofed cavern under the Tertius bay. You are welcome to visit.
    2) There are book-shelves there. You can read the books by right-clicking. This is a test for implementing readable bookshelves on the server.
    3) A new Google map is being rendered, but the service is horribly slow. No ETA at this point, but I suspect it will be in the next 48 hours.
    4) I have disabled the suspicious stones some of you may have discovered yesterday, including the Glow of Life and Jack O' Death. They were a failed test.
    5) Depending on when you log in, it may be permanent twilight. No glittery vampires allowed.
  • 1) I am building a vast, glass-roofed cavern under the Tertius bay.
    Ruh-roh. If you encounter a certain cavern - you'll know it when you see it - do be kind and either incorporate it, or take screenshots before you clear it out.
  • 1) I am building a vast, glass-roofed cavern under the Tertius bay.
    Ruh-roh. If you encounter a certain cavern - you'll know it when you see it - do be kind and either incorporate it, or take screenshots before you clear it out.
    The space is completely drilled. There was no cavern. All that need be done now is for me to complete furnishing the interior of the space.
  • The space is completely drilled. There was no cavern. All that need be done now is for me to complete furnishing the interior of the space.
    Whew, wrong part of the bay. And yes, I'm dropping hints like crazy, but I want people to find the thing, unlike the other one, which I don't expect anyone to find - Except you, and then, only if you're super lucky, or you use something like MCedit and burn an hour or two inspecting every cavern you find on the map.
  • 1) I am building a vast, glass-roofed cavern under the Tertius bay. You are welcome to visit.
    Mind posting the coordinates? I'd love to check it out but am still getting my bearings on the server. I know my way around the map now but I don't exactly know who is building in which area.
  • A new-ish map of Tertius. Submitted for rendering and hosting on Monday.
  • I'm trying to figure out the best way to make a simple railway that goes from one place to another. I've tried doing some research on boosters, but I'm having trouble figuring it out. What I want is a setup where I can put a minecart down, get into it, and have it move at a good clip until it hits the end of the track, where I can either pick up the cart or get back in, and have it go back to the start. Nothing complicated...I think.
    Any tips?
  • The piston thingie would probably serve your purpose, though it would be slow going uphill and require quite a bit of engineering.
  • The piston thingie would probably serve your purpose, though it would be slow going uphill and require quite a bit of engineering.
    I think it may need several "boost" along the way though, since it will end up going from central Tertius to the MacRoss Summer Palace and the connected Floating Cavern Fortress. I played around with a mine-cart that is 'powered' the other day, but found it unsatisfactory for what I was trying to accomplish.
  • I'm trying to figure out the best way to make a simple railway that goes from one place to another. I've tried doing some research on boosters, but I'm having trouble figuring it out. What I want is a setup where I can put a minecart down, get into it, and have it move at a good clip until it hits the end of the track, where I can either pick up the cart or get back in, and have it go back to the start. Nothing complicated...I think.
    Any tips?
    I've been thinking about this, since I'll probably setup something within the giant walls of my city. I think the best option might be to have a continuously running set of minecarts. But if you want an example of a one way track with boosters check out the track I built from the spawn to Sirako.
  • I will look into configuring the server to be more rail-friendly.

@WindUpBird: Would Minecart Mania achieve this?
  • edited April 2011
    I'm trying to figure out the best way to make a simple railway that goes from one place to another. I've tried doing some research on boosters, but I'm having trouble figuring it out. What I want is a setup where I can put a minecart down, get into it, and have it move at a good clip until it hits the end of the track, where I can either pick up the cart or get back in, and have it go back to the start. Nothing complicated...I think.
    Any tips?
    I've been thinking about this, since I'll probably setup something within the giant walls of my city. I think the best option might be to have a continuously running set of minecarts. But if you want an example of a one way track with boosters check out the track I built from the spawn to Sirako.
    I'll do that if I have time this evening. It's lower on my priority list that "get the creamy center out of that mountain so I can put my castle in there", but I still want to see how it's done.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • A new-ish map of Tertius. Submitted for rendering and hosting on Monday.
    Who built the two castles on the east past Sirako? I haven't explored out there yet.
  • Any tips?
    Isn't there a powered minecart? Add a furnace to a minecart?
  • Any tips?
    Isn't there a powered minecart? Add a furnace to a minecart?
    Yes, but it's not particularly powerful and doesn't really work in a way that is helpful in transporting people.
  • Yes, but it's not particularly powerful and doesn't really work in a way that is helpful in transporting people.
    In other words, It's farkin' sloooooooow. It's best use is with a few storage carts, and using it to move large amounts of materiel from one place to another.
  • Know what we need? Electric fucking trains. It'd make redstone actually useful as well. Instead of the one stick between two columns of iron ingots for a normal rail recipe, fill those extra two slots with redstone or redstone wire for electric rails. Then add a redstone wire to the middle of a minecart recipe for a powered minecart. Make it so you need redstone torches along the way to keep power flowing.
    Throwing the electric cart on the rails causes it to move when the player hits W or D. It has one speed that it can accelerate to, they can only carry people. Other regular mine carts can be put in front and pushed.
    Also, mine carts need to be able to be hitched to each other.
  • There are a few potential solutions. I could begin experimenting with them as soon as tonight (late). That will likely mean stopping the server quite a few times, because I can enable plugins in-line without you guys even noticing, but disabling them to avoid conflicts is entirely different. I apologize in advance.
  • Know what we need? Electric fucking trains. It'd make redstone actually useful as well. Instead of the one stick between two columns of iron ingots for a normal rail recipe, fill those extra two slots with redstone or redstone wire for electric rails. Then add a redstone wire to the middle of a minecart recipe for a powered minecart. Make it so you need redstone torches along the way to keep power flowing.
    Throwing the electric cart on the rails causes it to move when the player hits W or D. It has one speed that it can accelerate to, they can only carry people. Other regular mine carts can be put in front and pushed.
    Also, mine carts need to be able to be hitched to each other.
    Pressure plates.
  • Carts can slide over pressure plates and be pushed across them to the other side when needed.
    Wooden pressure plates depress when any weight is applied, stone plates only depress when a player is on top of them and are used as a way of sensing if a cart contains a player or not.
  • To go into detail, instead of torches, you could break the track up with pressure plates who provide power to the track, thereby powering it by going over it. It wouldn't work without modification of the in game systems, however, because...
    • Unless being pushed, or having a lot of speed, a minecart won't make it over.
    • Power would be short, half a second, I believe.
    • Tracks would have to carry power along themselves, or you need a pressure plate every other track piece
    • Cornering would be impossible
    • Redstone torches aren't that expensive anyway
  • edited April 2011
    Powered rails and zombie pigmen next week's 1.5 update.
    Post edited by usrName on
  • Powered rails and zombie pigmen next week's 1.5 update.
    In light of this, let's wait on the rail stuff.
  • I wonder what "powered rails" means?
  • Powered rails and zombie pigmen next week's 1.5 update.
    In light of this, let's wait on the rail stuff.
    Sounds good to me.
  • I'm beginning to think I should have just started out building a freeform structure instead of sculpting a mountain to suit my needs. I'm going to wind up removing 2/3 of a mountain instead of building 1/3 of one. Still, having fun with this game and am hopelessly addicted.
  • I've been working on getting redstone circuit powered rails working in my offline minecraft world. It's not going well.