This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Minecraft Contest: Tertius (READ FOR UPDATE)

Comments

• edited April 2011
    If I might make a suggestion, Can we sell something other than Sulphur? It's near impossible to get with the mobs turned off, as the only place you get it is from killing creepers or ghasts. It would make sense with monsters turned on - as long as it had a high return, considering the danger - but right now, it's useless.

All buying works fine.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I have a bug to report. When you die, if you are carrying gold when you die, the gold is not reinserted into your inventory, it is destroyed. I learned this just after selling 30 buckets of lava. I tested it again with a significantly smaller amount of gold (1). It was not restored to my inventory, and was destroyed, is this a side effect of the new market system?
  • I have a bug to report. When you die, if you are carrying gold when you die, the gold is not reinserted into your inventory, it is destroyed. I learned this just after selling 30 buckets of lava. I tested it again with a significantly smaller amount of gold (1). It was not restored to my inventory, and was destroyed, is this a side effect of the new market system?
    Well, the ingots should be there, unless you die in lava no? Just like if you drop your wallet in a fire.
  • Well, the ingots should be there, unless you die in lava no? Just like if you drop your wallet in a fire.
    Consider the wallet dropped in the fire.
  • Consider the wallet dropped in the fire.
    Why I shove my ingots away in one of my chests if I'm going out exploring.
  • Could you add placeable leaves to tradable items?
  • To get gold ingots, sell items such as dirt, cobblestone, sandstone, redstone, wood planks, cactus, lava buckets, and wheat.
    I assume the supply of ingots is infinite?

I guess this means I could have a lot more gold kicking around now.
  • I have decided to quit the server for a number of reasons, The primary of which being that in the games economy it is no longer viable to complete my temple to Armok. I declared this in server and left. Later I rethought and decided that were I to leave, I would do one last thing, originally this was to burn down the forest, but after I thought for a while I decided instead, I would leave a gift to the other players. I would make what would have been a mere temple into a dungeon for the other players to visit and plunder. I logged back in, and quickly began my work, the first steps were to remove access to easy travel options I had built into my lair. Ladders were torn up and stairs were damaged. Second I had to make the entire thing dangerous, lava columns became lava traps, lava pools became lava pitfalls, and all torches removed. third treasures had to be placed, where I to have finished, the treasures would have consisted of 2 chests of 36 gold, one chest of 4 diamonds, one chest containing a diamond shovel, and another a diamond pickaxe. Unfortunately, I was banned by Jason before I could finish. I wish to appeal my ban so that I can finish my work and complete my work so that I can quit the server with a sense of closure.
  • I have decided to quit the server for a number of reasons, The primary of which being that in the games economy it is no longer viable to complete my temple to Armok. I declared this in server and left. Later I rethought and decided that were I to leave, I would do one last thing, originally this was to burn down the forest, but after I thought for a while I decided instead, I would leave a gift to the other players. I would make what would have been a mere temple into a dungeon for the other players to visit and plunder. I logged back in, and quickly began my work, the first steps were to remove access to easy travel options I had built into my lair. Ladders were torn up and stairs were damaged. Second I had to make the entire thing dangerous, lava columns became lava traps, lava pools became lava pitfalls, and all torches removed. third treasures had to be placed, where I to have finished, the treasures would have consisted of 2 chests of 36 gold, one chest of 4 diamonds, one chest containing a diamond shovel, and another a diamond pickaxe. Unfortunately, I was banned by Jason before I could finish. I wish to appeal my ban so that I can finish my work and complete my work so that I can quit the server with a sense of closure.
    Off topic. Should be posted in the drama thread.
  • The market is going to make people flatten out the terrain in order to get money, I don't approve. =/
  • Our server universally decided not to operate a trade market to avoid that sort of stuff.
  • Off topic. Should be posted in the drama thread.
    I have chosen to refrain from personal attacks until either I am sure that I will not be given access to the server to finish the dungeon, or indefinitely in the case that I am allowed to finish.
  • Off topic. Should be posted in the drama thread.
    I have chosen to refrain from personal attacks until either I am sure that I will not be given access to the server to finish the dungeon, or indefinitely in the case that I am allowed to finish.
    Heh... So, drama thread. ;^)
  • You guys are all the drama...

But seriously, if you're having a building contest, the point should be to see who can build the coolest stuff. Forcing people to actually mine just limits creativity. Imagine if Van Gogh had to make yellow paint by hand, and couldn't just buy it at the store? It's part of the reason I have no interest in your Minecraft servers. If you have a LEGO building contest, you have to give everyone the same LEGO. That should be infinity LEGO in every possible variety.
  • edited April 2011
    You guys are all the drama...

But seriously, if you're having a building contest, the point should be to see who can build the coolest stuff. Forcing people to actually mine just limits creativity. Imagine if Van Gogh had to make yellow paint by hand, and couldn't just buy it at the store? It's part of the reason I have no interest in your Minecraft servers. If you have a LEGO building contest, you have to give everyone the same LEGO. That should be infinity LEGO in every possible variety.
    Apreche, You herped so much I derped.

--Dictated by Kaptain K
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • You guys are all the drama...

There hasn't been contest going on for some time. At least I'm not aware of any contest going on right now.

Also once again not so good argument. The topic says minecraft contest, not building contest. Getting all the materials you want could maybe generate something interesting, cool and huge, but also it wouldn't be minecraft contest at that point anymore. Getting the materials is part of the game as is choosing the place you build in. Speaking of that. Isn't it unfair that some people build on places that are cool looking even before the building and others build on level land. Shouldn't everyone get dedicated area which are all the same so it would be fair competition.

And what makes you the authority on what LEGO building competition should be about? I'll say that LEGO building competition should have extremely limited LEGOs, building something great with infinite resources is nothing compared to building something great with extremely limited resources.
  • And what makes you the authority on what LEGO building competition should be about? I'll say that LEGO building competition should have extremely limited LEGOs, building something great with infinite resources is nothing compared to building something great with extremely limited resources.
    Even so, everyone should have the same LEGO available to them. Imagine if a LEGO contest everyone started with 0 LEGO. Then everyone had to run on a treadmill. The more you run, the more LEGO comes out. Now you're testing a skill of endurance, not a skill of creative building.
  • Yeah, build anything you want with infinite blocks makes this a voxel art contest, not a minecraft contest. And nobody does voxel art unless they are modding RA2.
  • The market is going to make people flatten out the terrain in order to get money, I don't approve. =/
    Not really. Wheat is the most efficient way to get money. I see much farming in our future.
  • Even so, everyone should have the same LEGO available to them. Imagine if a LEGO contest everyone started with 0 LEGO. Then everyone had to run on a treadmill. The more you run, the more LEGO comes out. Now you're testing a skill of endurance, not a skill of creative building.
    If the rules are clear before the competition it's all right for me. Combining creativity and endurance in same competition might be unlikely and wired, but there's nothing wrong in it. Also at that point you are testing both endurance and creativity, not just endurance as you argue.
  • Scott, Jesus Christ, don't ever make an art analogy again. From an article online:
    Leonardo was one of the first artists in Italy to use oil paints instead of egg tempera, enjoying the freedom it gave him to rework a painting. He even concocted his own recipe for oil paints.
  • Scott, Jesus Christ, don't ever make an art analogy again. From an article online:
    Leonardo was one of the first artists in Italy to use oil paints instead of egg tempera, enjoying the freedom it gave him to rework a painting. He even concocted his own recipe for oil paints.
    That's why I said Van Gogh, who lived in a time when you could buy paint.
    That's why I said Van Gogh, who lived in a time when you could buy paint.
    I can not believe I made such a monumental brain fart.
  • Can I get whitelisted here? I just started playing Minecraft this weekend and am enjoying it. Username is AXPChuckles
  • AXPChuckles
    Done.
  • edited April 2011
    Hey, have you guys seen this? I think it would help for large-scale building projects.

EDIT: Actually, looks like it's only 2D for now.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • This dude made some SketchUp components to use for Minecraft planning. No idea if they're useful or not.
  • I understand the appeal of those tools, but they aren't much use without being able to plan around the topography. Environment is a huge part of MC.
  • I could do with some whitelisting: greywolf330.
  • I understand the appeal of those tools, but they aren't much use without being able to plan around the topography. Environment is a huge part of MC.
    Ahhh. I completely overlooked this. You have a very good point, sir.