This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Depression and Such

Comments

• Back when I was super-religious, having problems was always taboo.
    Yeah, so then you pray for help with your problems, and then they don't go away, so you get frustrated and pray more, and so on. And then you think you're a bad person for either not praying enough, or for thinking that God doesn't answer...

Yeah, it's fun.

Going down to one or two drinks a week is good because it means you can afford to drink better. :P You can easily justify a $20 bottle of beer if it's the one you're having this week.

Personally, I say meds are a good thing. If you've got things out of wack, you can try to manage it yourself, but it's always going to be managing. But I've never been medicated, so I don't exactly know how it feels. I imagine you must feel off whenever you're on your meds, because your "normal" chemical imbalance is thrown off. But if you get a net benefit from it, it's probably a good idea.
  • Back when I was super-religious, having problems was always taboo. Public image and judgement was everything. That is a sad hollow place.
    I remember that place. I remember how I was treated and outcasted and even worse happened to my mother. Someday, I'll tell that story.

Anyway, I know exactly how that feels, but on the brightest side, we're free. Free from that world. We escaped.

I think you should take your meds again if you know they help some. Ganbatte.

• Personally, I say meds are a good thing. If you've got things out of wack, you can try to manage it yourself, but it's always going to be managing. But I've never been medicated, so I don't exactly know how it feels. I imagine you must feel off whenever you're on your meds, because your "normal" chemical imbalance is thrown off. But if you get a net benefit from it, it's probably a good idea.
    Meds are weird. I only ever took meds for my ADD, and after many years the pills became a constant reminder that my brain was broken and that I wasn't normal like everyone else.
  • I imagine you must feel off whenever you're on your meds, because your "normal" chemical imbalance is thrown off. But if you get a net benefit from it, it's probably a good idea.
    My conflict stems from the fact that I'm emotionally stable nao. But taking meds gives me bonus to roll...
  • Well, my meds are mostly a result of crazy amounts of stressful situations over the past couple years that set me off... I'm hoping to get off them soon... but we'll see...
  • edited January 2012
    Deleted because I was responding to a post on another page... apparently.

Man, that is getting on my nerves.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Gossip sucks. In case my roommate wasn't making me feel shitty enough about myself, now I feel like I don't know if anyone gives two shits about me or is just putting up with me and talking behind my back and figuring I'm too dumb and stubborn to catch on. I'm starting to wonder if I really AM a shitty person who doesn't deserve friends...
  • Gossip sucks. In case my roommate wasn't making me feel shitty enough about myself, now I feel like I don't know if anyone gives two shits about me or is just putting up with me and talking behind my back and figuring I'm too dumb and stubborn to catch on. I'm starting to wonder if I really AM a shitty person who doesn't deserve friends...
    Stop that. PM me your Skype contact name right now so I can talk to you.

• I feel like I don't know if anyone gives two shits about me or is just putting up with me and talking behind my back and figuring I'm too dumb and stubborn to catch on.
    this is probably untrue, and thinking it never helps.

some people are stuck in their own world, with their own issues, and they take it out on other people. try not to take it personally, you deserve better.
  • I'm very sure it's untrue that people don't care at all, I'm just down in the dumps. Too many gossips and stresses piling up until I second guess myself.

Also the concept that... if my mutual friends are willing to talk badly about "X" friend of mine to me and refuse to admit it to "X"s face but continuously feel that way about them... who knows if they do the same to me, y'know?
  • In a surprising turn of events, I had an ACTUALLY CONSTRUCTIVE and calm conversation with my roommate today. We actually communicated effectively for the first time in GOD KNOWS how long...
    I still have a few more things to sort out, but I think I need a better feel for the current situation before I start making big, emotionally-charged decisions. I have a lot on my plate and the last thing I need to do is stir up problems where they didn't exist before.

Thanks Walker and WindUpBird for letting me "talk" your "ears" off until all hours, haha...
  • Oh gosh, that's good to hear. Glad you worked stuff out with her a bit. Talking to people is always the best way to go. It's hard to be tough and confront people head on, but airing things in the open usually solves them quicker than trying to dance your way through a relationship minefield.
  • edited February 2012
    As a potentially uncomfortable topic, has anyone who has been on anti depressants experienced problems with sexytimes?

I've talked to my Dr. about it, and apparently it is a side effect of note, but the subject changed quickly because I don't think she had a whole lot of words of worth on that particular problem. I was wondering if anyone has had problems like that, and would be willing to exchange words with me. In private or on here, I don't really care.
    Post edited by SquadronROE on
  • My ex was on them and if you consider "no sex" to be a side effect then yes there are side effects. Can't talk first hand about it but being the person on the other side it is real.
  • It's not no sex, although the drive has diminished somewhat. It's specific things going on that I believe I understand medically, I was just hoping to talk it out with someone else who may have experienced these things first hand.
  • Depression itself can mess with sex drive and sexual performance (which then cycles back into a decreased sex drive). This could also be playing into what you're describing here. It could also be time to try a different medication.
  • FWIW - the more expensive name brand drugs had less sex effects than the cheaper generic substitutes.
  • Intriguing. I might inquire about different meds next time I'm in the Dr's office. By the way, I'm only on a (very low) dosage for anti-anxiety reasons, and I'm hoping to be off them after the wedding. So hopefully I won't need to change meds or anything and I'm fairly confidant that it will go away afterwards. Had a chat with someone for a bit.
  • I was on Clonazepam for anxiety for a few months while I did my qualifying exam in graduate school. I didn't notice a difference in sex drive but, it might not affect women the same way.
  • Benzodiazepines like Clonazepam only seem to show sexual side-effects after significant long term usage. MAOIs and SSRIs, on the other hand, tend to manifest sexual side-effects immediately if they're going to present at all.
  • Yeah, I'm on a SSRI. So what I am on seems to be normal.
  • edited February 2012
    Ah, you have the anxieties, like what I have. (OCD and whatnot.)
    I took a low dose SSRI for a couple of years when I started having random panic attacks. I actually did not notice a change in my personality or feelings, just a slight, slight spaciness and (surprise surprise) less anxiety. Actually, I think meds are good, because they merely get you back to approximately what you are like without depression/anxiety and then you can work on correcting your thought process to be more positive. It's like "We fixed the brain chemicals, now you do the rest!"
    It's nice when you get to the point where you don't need to take the meds any more.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited February 2012
    Ah, you have the anxieties, like what I have. (OCD and whatnot.)
    I took a low dose SSRI for a couple of years when I started having random panic attacks. I actually did not notice a change in my personality or feelings, just a slight, slight spaciness. Actually, I think meds are good, because they merely get you back to approximately what you are like without depression/anxiety and then you can work on correcting your thought process to be more positive. It's like "We fixed the brain chemicals, now you do the rest!"
    It's nice when you get to the point where you don't need to take the meds any more.
    Yup, that sounds almost exactly like what I had. Anxieties, coupled with a really low-grade PTSD. I did manage to catch it prior to panic attacks starting up though.

And yeah, meds are basically reminding me what it's like to be normal, and not worrying about everything. For the longest time I just couldn't remember what it was like not worrying about things, so I'm very hopeful that this reminder will be all I need (with some coping mechanisms like breathing and whatnot) and I can move on with my life.

Although I did notice a bit of a change. I noticed a bit more spaciness, and an ability to actually take a deep breath and let things go.

Guys - it's really nice to know there's a lot of people I'd consider peers who have dealt with things like I have. 6 months ago I wouldn't have thought this was normal.
    Post edited by SquadronROE on
  • edited February 2012
    Yeah, sexual dysfunction is a relatively common side effect of many antidepressants. And as The Good Doctor pointed out, plain ol' depression can already mess with things.

It's cold comfort, I know, but this is fairly normal.

Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited February 2012
    But it doesn't always happen with SSRIs. I was fine during that time, I think?
    Guys - it's really nice to know there's a lot of people I'd consider peers who have dealt with things like I have. 6 months ago I wouldn't have thought this was normal.
    I thought that, and then I went to a therapist and they gave me this anxiety textbook. It was like whoa! I am a Textbook case! And I am actually pretty normal!
    Panic attacks are weird. Mine are really quiet, and if you were looking at me you might just notice that I am really quiet and shivering. Inside it feels like fight or flight terror, though. Your adrenaline is like WHOA suddenly and your brain is like "Youaregonnadiegonnadiegonnadie"
    I am stubborn, though, and I hate feeling crummy, so I found ways to cope and now I hardly ever get them.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • But it doesn't always happen with SSRIs. I was fine during that time, I think?
    I thought that, and then I went to a therapist and they gave me this anxiety textbook. It was like whoa! I am a Textbook case! And I am actually pretty normal!
    Panic attacks are weird. Mine are really quiet, and if you were looking at me you might just notice that I am really quiet and shivering. Inside it feels like fight or flight terror, though. Your adrenaline is like WHOA suddenly and your brain is like "Youaregonnadiegonnadiegonnadie"
    I am stubborn, though, and I hate feeling crummy, so I found ways to cope and now I hardly ever get them.
    I'd like to find a therapist actually. Both the fiance and I fight with anxiety things sometimes and it would be good to not have to rely on drugs.

• I think a therapist is the most important. A professional advice giver who listens to you talk and tells you how to work on your problems.
  • I concur. Finding one has not been easy though, as I don't want to simply open the phonebook and pick one at random, and in this sense the Internet hasn't really helped out too terribly much.
  • edited February 2012
    My panic attacks are about the same. It also feels like there's a tension bolt in the center of my chest, and someone is turning it tighter, and tighter, and tighter, until I am massively aware of my own breathing. Not cool.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • FWIW - the more expensive name brand drugs had less sex effects than the cheaper generic substitutes.
    Wellbutrin is known to actually improve sex drive. One of the few.