This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Do you feel patriotic?

edited May 2011 in Everything Else
I don't.

I've been out all weekend covering area Memorial Day activities. I've been to a parade, a new monument, at a ceremony, and a memorial for a soldier who died. I don't feel patriotic. I feel numb at the pointlessness of it all.

I can't help but think that the veterans who have died in the decades since the Korean War haven't accomplished that much, dollar for dollar, death for death. They aren't fighting for "our nation and our freedom," like all the bullshit rhetoric says. They're fighting for political agendas and money.

I don't feel much when I look at the flag.

The only time I do choke up is when I talk to World War II veterans, the few who are still around. Now there are some men who were chewed up by the machine. There are some men who felt it was fight or die.

Comments

• When I think about the past as it relates to the USA, I do think our peak days are behind us. There are several factors I don't have time to go into since I'm at work but tl;dr? I feel pretty much the same way as you, Sir Jason.
  • edited May 2011
    I feel patriotic sometimes, because I like the ideal of a nation of mixed cultures, an immigrant nation, where the only prerequisites of belonging to the society are the acceptance of freedom and liberty, and the general promise not to hurt the rest of the people involved. (If you do hurt people, you get put in jail, and taken out of the society) I look around New York, and I see people from all over working together, and I can see a little of why I have faith in America. Sometimes they fight or don't get on, but for the most part they live together and eat each others food and try to communicate and cooperate as best they can. In Japan, you can't just become a "Nihonjin" but to be a New Yorker, you just have to be here and participate.
    However, the United States is not that country. They do not uphold the ideals. However, I can say that on Memorial Day, regardless if the soldiers died in a meaningless battle, it is still fitting that they are remembered. Even if it is a sad memory of wasted human lives, all the better that we not forget their sacrifice.
    I don't feel much when I look at the flag.
    I get frustrated when I see someone with a flag on anything they own, and that makes me sad. It is sad to me that when I see someone being "proud of their country" by displaying its symbol, I (possibly unfairly, but out of experience) assume that they are a conservative asshole.
    When I think about the past as it relates to the USA, I do think our peak days are behind us.
    The thing is, they don't have to be. And it depends on what peak means. The French were once a conquering power that bossed everybody, but now they settled down substantially. Look at the Danes, for crying out loud. Copehagen is a really nice place to be, according to all my friends who have lived or visited there. Sure, they are not some huge world power going out in boats and beating everyone up, but they are a comfortable place that provides for their citizens.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Patriotism is thinking your country is the best because you were born in it. Countries are just political constructs for the purposes of administration and subdivision of popular will, in the case of democracies at least. I don't see any more reason to be loyal to one country over another than to be loyal to one school board over another or one network provider over another.
  • I am patriotic to American ideals and to what idealists say we stand for. I am always patriotic to soldiers and have a great respect them, whether I agree with what they're fighting for or not. I don't get fed up when I see lots of patriotic things around me, and I think our flag is pretty okay.
  • Patriotism is thinking your country is the best because you were born in it.
    I thought it just meant liking your country. I thought nationalism was what you are talking about. I like many countries, and part of the reason I like New York/US is that it is many cultures together within the same border.
  • Patriotism is thinking your country is the best because you were born in it.
    Actually, that's more Nationalism. Patriotism is just loving your country, and being willing to make sacrifices for it.
    The extent of my patriotism is that I don't want to U.S. to go away, and sometimes I worry that that's not enough.
  • simultaneous post FTW!
  • edited May 2011
    in case of patriotic ennui, break glass

* contains mostly ironic patriotism
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • I'm patriotic towards the ideas behind the U.S., and have real respect for those people who choose to fight in the name of our country. I would call that patriotism, for me. That said, it disgusts me to compare this country as an ideal, with what it actually is right now. It also pains me to use the term "patriotic" to describe myself, when the term gets abused so frequently in the name of political agendas and social conservatives with a "holier than thou" attitude. To separate my beliefs with theirs, I'll just say that I'm only a patriot for the country that America is supposed to be, rather than what it is.
  • It takes a UnitedStatean to come up with a thread like this. Your primary allegiance should be with life and love.
  • Your primary allegiance should be with life and love.
  • Soldiers are not heros.
  • edited May 2011
    I'm not patriotic. There are certain ideals and philosophies that I ascribe to that are associated with Americanism; however, they aren't exclusive to Americans and some of those ideals are fading from the political stage and/or are more pervasive in other nations. I only live in the United States because my parents live here and I want be near them. If they ever moved, I am not certain I would stay in the US.

However, I do feel incredible grief for those lost in battle - almost more so for those who have died in battles that were no more than exercises in greed. My sorrow in this regard is not limited to any one nation.
    Soldiers are not necessarily heros.
    FTFY
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
    Who says it isn't? "American" isn't my primary label, but it is one of the many things that make up my identity. Do you hate being Dutch and hate The Netherlands?
    Who says it isn't? "American" isn't my primary label, but it is one of the many things that make up my identity. Do you hate being Dutch and hate The Netherlands?
    That's a strawman. You don't have to hate being Dutch or hate the Netherlands to put your primary allegiance elsewhere, or to even lack a sense of loyalty at all. I feel no particular loyalty towards Canada and no particular sense of pride over it's accomplishments; they aren't my accomplishments and merely sharing citizenship with somebody is fairly meaningless. I don't hate Canada or Canadians, but I see no particular reason to like it just because I live here. The country and I just have a contract going; I pay them money, follow their laws and in times of war sacrifice my freedoms to be another body in their war machine, and in exchange they provide me services and protection. If another country more in line with my interests makes me a better offer, I would just go there. If I feel like my country is on the wrong side of a war, I would betray them in an instant.

There is no reason to feel any sentiment towards a political construct.
  • No. I was right before. They are not heros. Heros are sandwiches.
  • I come from the Internet. I live in America.
  • Heros are sandwiches. Heroic people are heroes. I was making a joke. There are many groups on Facebook that call soldiers heros.
    It is so hard to make some people understand this.
    Lucky bastard, I came from Australia, and let me tell you, the internet's test to become a naturalized citizen is a bitch.
  • edited May 2011
    That's a strawman. You don't have to hate being Dutch or hate the Netherlands to put your primary allegiance elsewhere
    I thought he was implying that just because I like NYC, I care for it above and beyond the ideals of life and love. The quote was:
    It takes a UnitedStatean to come up with a thread like this. Your primary allegiance should be with life and love.
    Although I would say "American" is far from my "primary allegiance," it shouldn't be a bad thing to discuss our feelings as to inclusion in that group.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • I thought he was implying that just because I like NYC, I care for it above and beyond the ideals of life and love. The quote was:
    Half my comment wasn't directed at anyone in particular. Just stating my opinion, and I did not say you are restricted to but one thing unlike, say, gender.
  • I'd like to ask a question related to the topic of patriotism. How do people feel about national sports teams? Are you proud that your country's team won a gold medal in the Olympics or won the World Cup? If not, how is this different from rooting for the local sports team? I've always been curious how people feel about this.
  • I'm more patriotic as a Bostonian than as an american. I don't give a fuck about america in the olympics, but I care only marginally more about the Bruins, Celtics, Red Sox, and New England Patriots.
  • I feel patriotic, but no more so today than any other day.
  • edited May 2011
    I'm more patriotic as a Bostonian than as an american.
    I find that I feel most patriotic as a mammal.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • I'm more patriotic as a Bostonian than as an american.
    I find that I feel most patriotic as a mammal.
    LIVE BIRTH MILK DRINKING WARM BLOODED CREATURES WITH HAIR!!! FUCK YEAH!
  • So the warm blood flows through your large four-chambered heart.
  • I'm more patriotic as a Bostonian than as an american. I don't give a fuck about america in the olympics, but I care only marginally more about the Bruins, Celtics, Red Sox, and New England Patriots.
    This is my feeling as well, except with Seattle instead of Boston. I'm more loyal to and protective of my city than the country in general.