This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Do you feel patriotic?

Comments

• I'm a Canadian patriot, but not an American-style patriot. Canadian style patriotism is a lot more subtle, being basically a love of the concept of Multi-culturalism. In chemical terms, while America is a solution (melting pot) Canada is more of a heterogeneous mixture. People retain their national identity far more than they do in the US.
  • I've started watch "The Revolution", a 13-part History Channel mini-series on the American Revolution on Netflix instant. Amazingly enough, even the founding fathers distorted the press and engaged in partisan bickering.
  • edited May 2011
    Amazingly enough, even the founding fathers distorted the press and engaged in partisan bickering.
    No doubt about it. From the reading I've done they were all super bitchy.

Like, so bitchy... You don't even know...
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • Amazingly enough, even the founding fathers distorted the press and engaged in partisan bickering.
    People think you can escape politics. You can't.
  • How do people feel about national sports teams?
    Fuck all southern European football clubs and national teams. Use something big, heavy and rusty. If it gets stuck, bludgeon the next one till the previous victim let's go. They are so awful that referees turn a blind eye to offences like kicking their players in the chest.
  • edited May 2011
    When I worked down in DC I went to enjoy their 4th of July. They had a few music groups playing and some esoteric stars showing up. I wasn't particularly happy as I was dragged along by my friends who kept telling me to be more patriotic. I just never felt like these parts of my country were the ones I wished to celebrate.
    Then Big Bird, Elmo, and other Muppets showed up. They really made my day. As the festivities swapped for a brief instance from drinking and dancing with music to teaching our children to be hopeful and excited, I really felt patriotic. That made by 4th of July special and I really remembered why I was in DC working and defending the country.
    Post edited by Mosquitoboy on
  • Fuck all southern European football clubs and national teams. Use something big, heavy and rusty. If it gets stuck, bludgeon the next one till the previous victim let's go. They are so awful that referees turn a blind eye to offences like kicking their players in the chest.
  • I'm a Canadian patriot, but not an American-style patriot. Canadian style patriotism is a lot more subtle, being basically a love of the concept of Multi-culturalism. In chemical terms, while America is a solution (melting pot) Canada is more of a heterogeneous mixture. People retain their national identity far more than they do in the US.
    Granted, I'm not as familiar with how Canadians view their ethnic backgrounds, but I think that while the US likes to claim it's a melting pot, we are in actuality pretty heterogeneous. I mean, people in the US often refer to themselves as Something (Italian, Irish, African, Native, Portuguese, etc.)-American unless their ancestry is composed of so many different ethnic groups that have intermarried that they can't identify with any specific ethnicity.
  • I consider myself a patriot, but not a nationalist or a jingoist. I really like the principles on which this country was founded, and I really like the idea of what the country could be.

What I dislike is the way we actually execute things as of late. I like to think that a real patriot loves his country enough to really want it to be better. Thus, useful constructive criticism of The Way Things Are is not only a good idea, it is one's patriotic duty.
  • I don't like the idea of countries period. Ideally there would be no countries. I don't think I'll see it in my lifetime, but geographic segregation is the final segregation to be eliminated in human society. At least until we have to deal with inter-planetary segregation.
  • but geographic segregation is the final segregation to be eliminated in human society
    Well, there are some logistical issues vis-a-vis global transportation that must be solved before geographical boundaries can truly be eliminated.

Also, as long as there are pockets of finite resources that we need, people will compete over those resources and attempt to restrict the entry of others into said territory.
  • I don't like the idea of countries period. Ideally there would be no countries.
    I can't even begin to imagine what a nightmare it would be to restructure the governments of more than 190 countries to allow such a system to function properly.
  • Well, there are some logistical issues vis-a-vis global transportation that must be solved before geographical boundaries can truly be eliminated.

Also, as long as there are pockets of finite resources that we need, people will compete over those resources and attempt to restrict the entry of others into said territory.
    Yes, obviously there is always going to be some sort of bureaucratic organization to manage logistics and resources in any given locale. But doesn't it sure seem silly to have some sort of cultural identity, pride, or loyalty to your local administration? It's definitely silly to fight and/or die for it.

A perfect world has no countries. No flags. No border conflicts. No passports. No national anthems. Imagine a world in which when someone asks where you are from, you give latitude and longitude. Kids grow up not even understanding the idea of a country when they are in history class. We're all just people on Earth.

Yeah, it will never happen. But maybe if we colonize a new planet it can be that way.
  • I feel for my country somewhat like I imagine parents must feel for their children. I love my country and want to see good things happen for it. I do not always approve of its actions, but I have faith that it can do better. I think we have a connection to each other that isn't necessarily an entitlement but rather a duty to do well by and for each other.

At the same time, it is rather frustrating that I can't keep my country from going out and getting its nose pierced and tattooing its face. Oh well.
  • Fuck all southern European football clubs and national teams. Use something big, heavy and rusty. If it gets stuck, bludgeon the next one till the previous victim let's go. They are so awful that referees turn a blind eye to offences like kicking their players in the chest.
    I prefer to say 'passionately hateful' if you don't mind.
  • A perfect world has no countries. No flags. No border conflicts. No passports. No national anthems. Imagine a world in which when someone asks where you are from, you give latitude and longitude. Kids grow up not even understanding the idea of a country when they are in history class. We're all just people on Earth.

Yeah, it will never happen. But maybe if we colonize a new planet it can be that way.
    Ah, a world just like Star Trek then... Of course, even if we do colonize a new planet, there is a chance we'll run into some random alien species that also wants to colonize said planet, and we're back at the whole "country" thing again, although this time it's planets instead of countries arguing over things.
  • Ah, a world just like Star Trek then... Of course, even if we do colonize a new planet, there is a chance we'll run into some random alien species that also wants to colonize said planet, and we're back at the whole "country" thing again, although this time it's planets instead of countries arguing over things.
    Yeah, I already said that.
  • I am much more MARYLAND FUCK YEAH than I am AMERICA FUCK YEAH.
  • I am much more MARYLAND PONIES FUCK YEAH than I am AMERICA FUCK YEAH.
  • I am much more MARYLAND FUCK YEAH than I am AMERICA FUCK YEAH.
    Fuck Maryland, Virginia FTW.
  • I love Maryland, but that's mostly because I was born here and have lived here for my whole life (except for when I'm in school). Got to love Maryland seafood and putting Old Bay on god damn near everything. Seriously, I think my blood is part Old Bay at this point.
  • I am much more MARYLAND PONIES FRCF FUCK YEAH than I am AMERICA FUCK YEAH.
  • I am much more MARYLAND PONIES FRCF FUCK YEAH than I am AMERICA FUCK YEAH.
    Yes. This.
  • I've mentioned it before, but I think the History Channel miniseries "The Revolution" is worth watching on Netflix streaming. Not only does it give a very thorough and balanced look at the Revolutionary War, but also the events and people that came before it and after it. The legitimacy is also helped by a West Point historian talking about major battles.
  • I've mentioned it before, but I think the History Channel miniseries "The Revolution" is worth watching on Netflix streaming. Not only does it give a very thorough and balanced look at the Revolutionary War, but also the events and people that came before it and after it. The legitimacy is also helped by a West Point historian talking about major battles.
    I watched it a while back, it were quite educational and a bit entertaining.
  • I don't like the principles on which the US was founded. Slavery was written into the constitution, women had no rights, ect. I like the fact that these things have changed and are still changing. That there is a political solution to bringing on large scale, albeit slow progress toward a more perfect society. I also like the idea that there is no perfect society but we should always strive to be more perfect. The peaceful transfer of Executive power and the Independence of the 3 branches of government are also pretty impressive. But while the framework for most of this was written in to the founding of the US there were shit eaters back then who did everything in their power to stop it just as there are shit eaters today who are actively trying to subvert the country by exploiting the greed of the politicians and the idiocy of it most ignorant citizens.
  • The peaceful transfer of Executive power
    The only reason the US still exists.
  • I don't like the principles on which the US was founded. Slavery was written into the constitution, women had no rights, ect.
    Just because those things were the current state of affairs doesn't mean they were the principles on which the country was founded. The principle is very different than the specific mechanics and details.
  • dsfdsf
    edited June 2011
    I don't like the principles on which the US was founded. Slavery was written into the constitution, women had no rights, ect.
    Just because those things were the current state of affairs doesn't mean they were the principles on which the country was founded. The principle is very different than the specific mechanics and details.
    There isn't much you can say to convince me that many colonies weren't motivated to separated from the British Empire because they had a growing aristocracy that was drawing most of it's wealth on slave labor and the British were moving against that. Sure there were some good people involved in the founding of the US too but there is a horrible mark of shame, exploitation and unspeakable greed that you'll never be able to white-wash away no matter how patriotic or nationalistic or whatever. There just some things that are true and are shameful. My greater point is despite those things the US has been able to move toward a more humane society. I just will never be able to get over the horrific and dehumanizing way the aristocracy of this country allowed human beings to be treated. The US was founded on a double standard, "Freedom and Liberty for all... except the Blacks... and woman....and jews.......and Irish..... and Native Americans..... and southern Europeans..... You know what, let's just say British, and by British I mean English. and by English I mean rich English.

Another good point to make would be "don't be nostalgic for something that never existed."
    Post edited by dsf on
  • Another good point to make would be "don't be nostalgic for something that never existed."
    Heh, like the 1950s.