This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Do you feel patriotic?

12346»

Comments

• Dazzle369 said:

Rym said:

Dazzle369 said:

I think holding people accountable to their actions will solve a lot of problems. Putting only qualified individuals in positions of responsibility will solve a lot of problems.

Who determines the criteria for being considered "qualified?"

That's the fundamental problem. It's a process that can not but be corrupted.
    Yes. How with internet do we fix this?
    If we knew we would be doing it already.
  • Dazzle369 said:

Rym said:

Dazzle369 said:

I think holding people accountable to their actions will solve a lot of problems. Putting only qualified individuals in positions of responsibility will solve a lot of problems.

Who determines the criteria for being considered "qualified?"

That's the fundamental problem. It's a process that can not but be corrupted.
    Yes. How with internet do we fix this?
    You probably can't. There's a first-mover problem.

• I think patriotism is a state of mind where you still believe your country's problem can be fixed.

So yes, I feel patriotic.
  • Like people do with God, you are just redefining the concept until you are comfortable with identifying with it.
  • I dunno... There is a difference between patriotism and nationalism. To use an oversimplified example (which, admittedly, I often use), patriotism is cheering for your country at the Olympics. Nationalism is bombing the country that beat your country at the Olympics.

Patriotism is more about loving your country, and a true patriot would see what's wrong with his/her country and do what they can to fix it. Nationalism is more the "my country, right or wrong" scenario.
  • I don't like the idea of nations/ national pride, because it's just another way to divide people on the planet.
  • People are inherently tribal creatures, however. The general historic tendency has been those "tribes" getting bigger and more inclusive. What began as bands of close blood relations eventually begat nomadic tribes which eventually begat villages which eventually begat nation states. Nation states are possibly an inevitable and required path to eventually reach an ideal where the entire planet is one homogenous society (althogh if alien life exists, then the entire Earth may be the "tribe" against the alien "other"). At that point, perhaps the purpose of national pride would be akin to rooting for your favorite sports team.
  • Who watches the Watchmen?
  • Who watches the Watchmen?

Lots of people, but they all hated the new ending.

• as well they should. Scott did a great breakdown in a pre Geeknights podcast he did.
  • ...a circuit of watchmen rather than a hierarchy....

< GUY A < GUY B < GUY C <
    < GUY C < GUY A < GUY B <
    and so on
  • So they only watch other watchmen?
  • HMTKSteve said:

So they only watch other watchmen?

While they're all watching each other we average citizens do what we want.
  • Part of the problem is that those in law enforcement and government think we have a power pyramid where they sit above the people. They do not understand that we have a power circle where those at the top are accountable to those at the bottom.
  • HMTKSteve said:

Part of the problem is that those in law enforcement and government think we have a power pyramid where they sit above the people. They do not understand that we have a power circle where those at the top are accountable to those at the bottom.

Mostly because those at the bottom very rarely take them to task for their bullshit.
  • Or when they do take them to task they get attacked by friends of those higher up the pyramid.

Any attack on a politician that can be framed as political will be reframed as such and the attack will be countered in a way to make the original nonpolitical attack into a political attack.

Attacks on law enforcement will cause the blue shield to be invoked and those involved will be denigrated as malcontents and rabble rousers.

It is very rare for an incident to not be converted into something that can be easily dismissed.
  • HMTKSteve said:

Part of the problem is that those in law enforcement and government think we have a power pyramid where they sit above the people. They do not understand that we have a power circle where those at the top are accountable to those at the bottom.

... in theory
  • Ikatono said:

HMTKSteve said:

... in theory
    In democracies where a freedom flag isn't waved around by citizens who are deluded into thinking they have freedoms and power.
  • HMTKSteve said:

So they only watch other watchmen?

There shouldn't be a situation where an individual or organisation can not be held accountable for there actions, is the point.

Otherwise, the hell?