This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

TF2 Scrim discussion

Comments

• Finally for the first time, I played on the FRC Server. It was pretty damn fun playing with the 10 people there. And I think it smelted my love for the Shortstop, because of it's fast firing/reloading in head on head matches. (Especially you, Churba) My moment of the night, was during Watchtower, where I jumped off the logs, and used the sandman and in mid-fall, hit the Sniper with a baseball and someone just ran up and killed him.

Lackofcheese is a forced to be reckoned with. I think the two people I didn't recognize, was F'rag (Or something like that, was constantly a pyro) and Weedwacker.
  • So when can we expect the results of the draft?
    As soon as I set up a time. I believe Andrew said he's on a plane somewhere, and since nobody else so far has stepped up to replace him,because you're all wimps of the highest order we're waiting on when he's available.
  • Finally for the first time, I played on the FRC Server. It was pretty damn fun playing with the 10 people there. And I think it smelted my love for the Shortstop, because of it's fast firing/reloading in head on head matches. (Especially you, Churba) My moment of the night, was during Watchtower, where I jumped off the logs, and used the sandman and in mid-fall, hit the Sniper with a baseball and someone just ran up and killed him.

Lackofcheese is a forced to be reckoned with. I think the two people I didn't recognize, was F'rag (Or something like that, was constantly a pyro) and Weedwacker.
    My favorite moment needs some explination. On the other server I play on (the 4chan Party Van), they have a mod called GoombaStomp, which does pretty much what it sounds like: if you fall on somebody, you bounce in the air and they die, a la Mario Goombas. At one point, I was attack and harassed, but not killed, by a spy on pl_minepit, so I chase after him. In dropping down to the area I saw him go before he cloaked, I land on his (cloaked) form and kill him in one shot.
  • Hey Neito, you remember that I put myself forward as a captain, right?
  • Hey Neito, you remember that I put myself forward as a captain, right?
    Yes. It's you, me, Andrew, and Jason, because Yuyuke "doesn't feel he'd be an effective leader".
  • Yes. It's you, me, Andrew, and Jason, because Yuyuke "doesn't feel he'd be an effective leader".
    YES, CAPTAINSHIP GET!
  • because Yuyuke "doesn't feel he'd be an effective leader"
    I like that you feel it's necessary to point this out.

Well. "Like".
  • because Yuyuke "doesn't feel he'd be an effective leader"
    I like that you feel it's necessary to point this out.

Well. "Like".
    It's "exactly what you said" earlier in "the thread".

/quotemarks.
  • It's "exactly what you said" earlier in "the thread".

/quotemarks.
    Good, you ARE capable of reading English. It's already there, which means it doesn't need to be rubbed the fuck in at every opportunity. Can it, Nate.
  • edited July 2011
    But everyone loves listening to your voice, Yuyuke! You'd be a great captain!
    Lackofcheese is a forced to be reckoned with.
    It's nice to be recognised.
    I also note that there are surprisingly few low ping TF2 servers compared to CounterStrike. I regularly have to deal with a ping as high as 50 playing TF2. I can usually find a server under 20, usually single-digits, with CS.
    I find your whining about a ping of 50ms amusing when I'm playing @ ~250ms and am still apparently considered a "force to be reckoned with". TF2's lag compensation is rather robust, though there are definitely many issues with having a ping like mine.
    F'rag
    K'rag. That's Nineless / Air Co.

On the whole, I think P_TOG and Vicious are the best players I've seen on the server. P_TOG is damned frightening as scout, while Vicious is good at pretty much everything, I think - he just plays spy 90% of the time because he's a troll and doesn't take any of us seriously ^_~
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • As soon as that prompt comes up saying "Vicious joined the game", I feel a chill deep in my bones. ;_;
  • As soon as that prompt comes up saying "Vicious joined the game", I feel a chill deep in my bones. ;_;
    One time, on Watchtower, I went to push my glasses further up the bridge of my nose, as they were sliding down. I saw Vicious pop out from behind a tree, and my resulting flail caused me to jab my index finger directly into my left eye instead. Then he shot me in the face.
  • One time, on Watchtower, I went to push my glasses further up the bridge of my nose, as they were sliding down. I saw Vicious pop out from behind a tree, and my resulting flail caused me to jab my index finger directly into my left eye instead. Then he shot me in the face.
    I think this might be my favorite post on the entire internet.
  • I'm free anytime this week to do the draft.
  • I can do tonight (Tuesday), tomorrow (Wednesday) and Friday. All the other nights are reserved for shenanigans.
  • edited July 2011
    As soon as I set up a time. I believe Andrew said he's on a plane somewhere, and since nobody else so far has stepped up to replace him, we're waiting on when he's available.
    I won't straight up nominate myself as a captain - I'm no leader - but I suppose if we lose someone or need a backup, I'll stand up as a 2IC.
    I find your whining about a ping of 50ms amusing when I'm playing @ ~250ms and am still apparently considered a "force to be reckoned with". TF2's lag compensation is rather robust, though there are definitely many issues with having a ping like mine.
    Seconded - I rarely pull less than 200ms, and never lower than 150ms on the FRCF server, but I rarely have legit problems, though I have the occasional confusion, and even then it's really not a problem, and not signifigant enough that it would have made a difference - I would have died anyway or killed someone anyway, with or without it.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited July 2011
    No, there are definitely several serious issues with having a ping that high. First of all, it becomes very difficult to maintain an appropriate range from your opponents, because they aren't really where you think they are. In particular, it makes it much harder to dance an enemy pyro, because you'll get flamethrowered despite being clearly out of range according to your own screen. It also makes it hard to fight enemy scouts, because they end up doing a lot more damage with the Scattergun than you might expect, because they're closer to you than you think they are. This problem is even worse for melee attacks - you'll get meleed from several metres away, and a lot of the time your melee hits don't end up registering, even though you appear to have hit. On the other hand, attacks that seem to miss sometimes end up hitting. Fortunately, melee in TF2 is relatively limited in usefulness, especially with crits disabled, so this is not such a serious problem.

I'm not entirely sure what the overall effects of such high latency are, but if my reasoning is correct, high ping is also a serious issue if enemies come around corners at you, because you see them coming a whole ~200ms later than you would otherwise.
    On the other hand, it may be that the situation is reversed if you're the one coming around the corner, because it takes that long for the enemies to find out what you're doing as well.

Though I suspect my ping makes it harder for other people to play against me as well. Nonetheless, I think that overall it hurts me much more than it helps.

In summary, I hereby crown Rym as king of whiners. His special move is the meta-whine, which is whining about other people whining. No wonder he identifies with Rarity.
    If this drama escalates, I'm bailing. Jesus you kids. ;^)
  • I think - he just plays spy 90% of the time because he's a troll and doesn't take any of us seriously ^_~
    I've been playing Spy mostly with just the Dead Ringer, and the Your Eternal Reward (no disguise until a backstab) and a standard revolver to make things more fair. Also I'm trying to up the kill count on the strange revolver I got so mostly I've just been shooting people.

And that second part is basically true, I don't really take you guys too seriously.
  • No, there are definitely several serious issues with having a ping that high. First of all, it becomes very difficult to maintain an appropriate range from your opponents, because they aren't really where you think they are. In particular, it makes it much harder to dance an enemy pyro, because you'll get flamethrowered despite being clearly out of range according to your own screen. It also makes it hard to fight enemy scouts, because they end up doing a lot more damage with the Scattergun than you might expect, because they're closer to you than you think they are. This problem is even worse for melee attacks - you'll get meleed from several metres away, and a lot of the time your melee hits don't end up registering, even though you appear to have hit. On the other hand, attacks that seem to miss sometimes end up hitting. Fortunately, melee in TF2 is relatively limited in usefulness, especially with crits disabled, so this is not such a serious problem.
    I've never noticed any of those issues, but for the pyro one, but then again, pyros are the bane of my existence anyway.

And as I've said, it doesn't seem to affect my sniping - heads are always right where I expect them to be, and a good 99% of the errors I make are human error, with the other 1% being unsure.
  • but then again, pyros are the bane of my existence anyway.
  • edited July 2011
    I've been playing Spy mostly with just the Dead Ringer, and the Your Eternal Reward (no disguise until a backstab) and a standard revolver to make things more fair.
    And that second part is basically true, I don't really take you guys too seriously.
    Ouch. It kinda hurts to see that confirmed by you, though I already knew that was the case :(

Granted, the standard revolver has some rock solid damage output, but the enforcer is definitely better, while the Ambassador has its advantages and disadvantages too.

Still, I'd like to see how you play when you're taking things seriously, preferable before the scrim (unless you're on my team; then you can go ahead and hide your skills until the very last moment). If you're on the enemy team, I'm hoping all that time spent as spy will have made you forget how to play any other class properly.
    but then again, pyros are the bane of my existence anyway.
    Pyro used to be the weakest class in TF2 by far before they introduced the airblast. Now Pyro is actually viable in certain situations, but even then, though, the Pyro is still pretty weak against an organised team.
    and a good 99% of the errors I make are human error
    Really? I would've expected a figure closer to 100%, since I'm pretty sure you're nearly 100% human, so if you make an error it's probably a human one ^_~
  • And that second part is basically true, I don't really take you guys too seriously.
    Ouch. It kinda hurts to see that confirmed by you, though I already knew that was the case :(
    Although I should note that I've generally tried to stop taking FPS games seriously, which tends to make them more enjoyable for me.
  • I'm free anytime this week to do the draft.
    Same. The sooner, the better.
  • How about tonight at 7 eastern? Will that work for all the captains?
  • How about tonight at 7 eastern? Will that work for all the captains?
    LOL, depends, I'm seeing Harry Potter at 8 :herp derp:

Can we just do it all day today? Does it have to be real time?
  • Yeah, good point. I'd like to not give one team an artificial advantage because, say, Jason's at work right now, so he gets the people we didn't pick at the end of the day. That's all I'm trying to avoid.
  • Yeah, good point. I'd like to not give one team an artificial advantage because, say, Jason's at work right now, so he gets the people we didn't pick at the end of the day. That's all I'm trying to avoid.
    Ummm, each captain gets a turn to select a person. It's not just a free for all. Do you know how drafts work?
  • edited July 2011
    Yeah, good point. I'd like to not give one team an artificial advantage because, say, Jason's at work right now, so he gets the people we didn't pick at the end of the day. That's all I'm trying to avoid.
    At work and working are two separate things. I had my workload for the day done at 10:15, and now I'm waiting for other people to catch up before my 4:30 p.m. appointment.

What I'm saying is that my boss has unknowingly paid me today at write three new categories for ATW9K, with more likely on the way.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited July 2011
    Will you need people to play on the server so you can watch them at some point in time, or do you captains already know everything you need to know?
  • Please forward all highlight reels to me.