This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

TF2 Scrim discussion

Comments

• I think we should alternate between days where we are "Standard Items Only" and "Unlocked Items Allowed."
    1. This scrim will be standard weapons only. If we get enough people to do another scrim, we'll do the next one of this type with extended weapons.
  • 2. As soon as Jason gets on, I'm going to confirm with him if he wants to be a team captain. If he does, the captains will be me, him, Andrew, and GreyHuge. If he doesn't want to, I have a couple other people in mind.
    I respectfully decline due to a work commitment on Monday at the time of the draft.
  • ANYWAY, obviously, asking everybody for advice was a mistake. It just means I have to try to reconcile 32 different opinions, when we all know most of us are going to play this pretty much no matter what. So these are the final decisions, no more debate, back to promoting yourselves for the various team captains.
    Good. Thank you. More than acceptable. Rock and roll, let's get on the bounce.
  • 3. We'll do a secret draft starting tomorrow (Monday, here in Massachusetts) at 6 PM Eastern, 5 PM Central, figure it out for the rest of the time zones. Make sure you've got contact information in IDShare or in your Profile.
    I'll be on an airplane. Just select another captain for me.
  • Alright. Screw that. What's a good time for you two? I'm having enough trouble finding one person to be a captain, I can't replace two.
  • edited July 2011
    1. This scrim will be standard weapons only. If we get enough people to do another scrim, we'll do the next one of this type with extended weapons.
    Good. I can confirm that that's what the majority of people wanted. I don't see how asking for advice was a mistake either, since without it we wouldn't have known this.

Unless of course some of you have been physically harmed by this "drama" you speak of?
    Also, I note that this "debate" is only necessary because the game is fundamentally broken as a stateless competition and external work must be done to acquire the items necessary for balanced play.

I'll also note that none of these items are necessary for the Scout to be fully effective as a class. I posit that NONE of the items are necessary for balance.
    Yes, the game works well with no extra items, and in the majority of situations the default items tend to be the best choices.
    So if this thing is supposed to be about skill, then fine lets play vanilla in Dustbowl 24/7.
    Dustbowl? Dustbowl!?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • So, I just played for another few hours, and it seems I'm pretty good at Heavy, coming in the top three in terms of points on most rounds I played. Also, at the other end of the spectrum, I'm a dab hand at Sniper, so I usually switched between these two roles. This game is either pretty easy, or I was playing on some wimpy servers.

Oh, and did I mention I was rocking out on my laptop. Using only the track pad?

I'm not saying I'll be good on the FRC server, but so far I've been decidedly non-shit.
  • edited July 2011
    It's a pretty easy game in general, especially playing Heavy. However, some classes have a higher skill cap than you might expect from just casual play.

Oh, and since few people seem to be putting themselves forward as it is, I'm willing to be a captain.
  • edited July 2011
    Dustbowl? Dustbowl!?
    pl_dustbowl. Final round is best round.
    so far I've been decidedly non-shit.
    I've played on servers where I was pulling most of the team to victory. I then get viciously raped, burned and devastated on the FRC server. There's a humongous skill gap between players.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Yeah, playing on the FRC server with a track pad isn't so fun. It's impossible to turn round quickly when someone attacks from behind, and they never attack from in front, so I'm totally nubtastic. On servers with more players, like at least eight to a team, you generally know the way behind you is full of your team and the occasional spy, so you can concentrate on what is ahead. Next time I play on the FRC server I'll get myself a mouse.
  • edited July 2011
    pl_dustbowl. Final round is best round.
    Still meh.
    Yeah, playing on the FRC server with a track pad isn't so fun. It's impossible to turn round quickly when someone attacks from behind, and they never attack from in front, so I'm totally nubtastic. On servers with more players, like at least eight to a team, you generally know the way behind you is full of your team and the occasional spy, so you can concentrate on what is ahead. Next time I play on the FRC server I'll get myself a mouse.
    You played rather well indeed considering it was with a track pad. I'm glad to see that the FRC server is well above the level of the average pub, although it's not like that's saying much...
  • Oh, and did I mention I was rocking out on my laptop. Using only the track pad?
    Next time I play on the FRC server I'll get myself a mouse.
    Jesus. That's like a US Marine driving a Power Wheel. You with the benefit of a mouse might prove dangerous. ;^)

I've been pubbing to learn the maps I'd forgotten or never played. So far, at least half the server's I've joined, I've single-handedly made enough personal point/flag captures to win it for my team.

Best moments? More than once, be accused of griefing for capping. Turns out half the pubs out there are full of achievement grinders (who appear to have never heard of grinding servers), traders, and crafters spamming the alltalk with their requests.
  • Jesus. That's like a US Marine driving a Power Wheel. You with the benefit of a mouse might prove dangerous. ;^)
    Yes, I suspect so.
    I reckon I'd be rather more dangerous with the benefit of a U.S. ping, too ^_~
  • Best moments? More than once, be accused of griefing for capping. Turns out half the pubs out there are full of achievement grinders (who appear to have never heard of grinding servers), traders, and crafters spamming the alltalk with their requests.
    I don't think I have seen any of this on TF2, but also it doesn't surprise me. I saw some of that back in the day when I played Enemy Territory, people shouting in chat "Don't do objectives", because some people just wanted to focus on killing things instead of trying to win the game.
  • Jesus. That's like a US Marine driving a Power Wheel. You with the benefit of a mouse might prove dangerous. ;^)

I've been pubbing to learn the maps I'd forgotten or never played.
    You have hit the nail on the head with these two comments. I'm only playing with the trackpad to learn maps and characters, as everything about this game is new to me. Unlike the NS maps and tech, which is the only multiplayer I've frequented for the last few years, and while I avoid the more advanced aliens, as a marine I can usually hold my own with top end players of any server I've tried. I really hope that skill transfers to TF2 when I finally get to play a lot with a mouse, and by then I'll know where to run.
  • Best moments? More than once, be accused of griefing for capping. Turns out half the pubs out there are full of achievement grinders (who appear to have never heard of grinding servers), traders, and crafters spamming the alltalk with their requests.
    And this is why I play on either our server, or a server full of assholes who actually like the game.
  • And this is why I play on either our server, or a server full of assholes who actually like the game.
    People in the wild also seem to really dislike CTF. If you except 2fort servers, there's almost nothing.

I also note that there are surprisingly few low ping TF2 servers compared to CounterStrike. I regularly have to deal with a ping as high as 50 playing TF2. I can usually find a server under 20, usually single-digits, with CS.
    Tis why my blacklist is more than 100 servers long!
  • I also note that there are surprisingly few low ping TF2 servers compared to CounterStrike. I regularly have to deal with a ping as high as 50 playing TF2. I can usually find a server under 20, usually single-digits, with CS.
    TF2 is way more forgiving than CS, also, in most cases you can respawn.
  • also, in most cases you can respawn.
    Sometimes only to be exploded as soon as you walk out.

Oh man how true...at this point im more or less only playing on my favourite servers only, with short occasional ventures into a random public server just to test my luck.

Oh, and the pony server of course.
  • also, in most cases you can respawn.
    Spawn Camping's actually not that hard to deal with in this game, at least on well-made maps.
  • edited July 2011
    also, in most cases you can respawn.
    Spawn Camping's actually not that hard to deal with in this game, at least on well-made maps.
    Yeah, it depends on the map. It really only happens when there's a low number of players.
  • Yeah, it depends on the map. It really only happens when there's a low number of players.
    Or a disproportion of nubs on one team.

Me and a few other pyros cornered an entire team in their spawn for several minutes with no hope of escape.
  • edited July 2011
    5. SV_Pure is going to be 1 with a default whitelist (In other words, what the server already is). That will prevent most wallhacking and such, while still allowing hilarious sprays. Anyone who would cheat here is a dick, anyway, and there's nobody here who's that much of a dick.
    What about other important settings, like no randomized damage, no crits on capture, stopwatch on attack/defend, and time limit instead of cap goal for CTF?
  • Me and a few other pyros cornered an entire team in their spawn for several minutes with no hope of escape.
    People still don't get the pyro's airblast ability. I've separated so many medics from their heavies and torched them, or thrown people off cliffs, or killed soldiers with their own rockets, it's kinda sad.
    On a side note, this is why I never use the Backburner.
    What about other important settings, like no randomized damage, no crits on capture, stopwatch on attack/defend, and time limit instead of cap goal for CTF?
    I have no strong opinions on these unless it's a pain in the ass to do. I'll get back to you.
  • On a side note, this is why I never use the Backburner.
    I only use the backburner. ^_~

Too easy to slip behind a heavy train and kill everyone before they can respond.
  • edited July 2011
    People still don't get the pyro's airblast ability. I've separated so many medics from their heavies and torched them, or thrown people off cliffs, or killed soldiers with their own rockets, it's kinda sad.
    On a side note, this is why I never use the Backburner.
    The Degreaser would be nice, if I had it.

Backburner vs Flamethrower is mostly a question of the game type/map/situation. If enemies are forced to bunch up a lot, I prefer the Backburner, but otherwise the Flamethrower is better.
  • The Degreaser would be nice, if I had it.
    I can vouch for its greatness. There's nothing more satisfying than cooking a player, airblasting him away and killing him with the shotgun before he lands.
  • I usually prefer Backburner, but sometimes if situation needs it I switch to normal Flamethrower. When I last time played on FRCF server people might have noticed that I switched between Backburner and Flamethrower quite a lot mostly depending on the amount of soldiers on enemy team.