This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Guns!

Comments

• I hate how this always becomes about guns. That's not the issue here. If there were no guns in the entire world, crazy people would still kill people, just less of them. Raising gun control is treating the symptom.

Make the people not want to kill people. Fix our mental health infrastructure. That will protect people better than gun control.
    "...still kill people, just less of them." Less of them is a worthy goal in and of itself.
  • 19 kindergartners are dead. Let's update the "Guns!" thread instead of the "Fail of your day" or the "Current Events" threads.

Jesus. Fuck you guys.

Maybe if the kindergarten teacher had been carrying, less than 19 five year olds would be dead a week before Christmas.
  • Kindergarten teachers shouldn't have to be packing heat in a 1st world country.
  • Luckily a gun ban will remove all guns from the United States instantly.
  • I'm still waiting to hear more about who the shooter was and his relation to the school.
  • From what I've gathered it was a parent.
  • Even if we fix those problems, what's the use of having guns in general society?
    I'm not saying we should or shouldn't have guns. I don't give a shit what you do with gun control. I give a shit about the people who are insane in the membrane and can't get help for it until they go on a shooting spree and get court marshaled.
  • Luckily a gun ban will remove all guns from the United States instantly.
    It would help.
  • Even if we fix those problems, what's the use of having guns in general society?
    I'm not saying we should or shouldn't have guns. I don't give a shit what you do with gun control. I give a shit about the people who are insane in the membrane and can't get help for it until they go on a shooting spree and get court marshaled.
    Most of the people who are rabidly pro-gun and anti-gun-regulation are also super against universal health care.

• Kindergarten teachers shouldn't have to be packing heat.
    FTFY

Most of the people who are rabidly pro-gun and anti-gun-regulation are also super against universal health care.
    So let's make THAT the debate instead.
  • Maybe if the kindergarten teacher had been carrying, less than 19 five year olds would be dead a week before Christmas.
    That's ridiculous. If we're worried, why not arm all teachers with tasers? Just as effective for most defense purposes, and not likely to kill anyone accidentally.

We have several problems.

1. Lots of guns
    2. Little real registration or tracking of these guns
    3. Little access to mental health care

I'd put even odds on a legally armed teacher going nuts and shooting the class as on a random parent doing the same.

• 19 kindergartners are dead. Let's update the "Guns!" thread instead of the "Fail of your day" or the "Current Events" threads.

Jesus. Fuck you guys.
  • edited December 2012
    The mental health issue is a HUGE problem that I think is even a bigger problem then guns.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • The mental health issue is a HUGE problem that I think is even a bigger problem then guns.
    Thank you!
  • The mental health issue is a HUGE problem that I think is even a bigger problem then guns.
    Seconded, thirded, fourthed, and so on unto infinity. It's the ugly issue that nobody talks about, because it's easier to ban firearms than it is to act like fucking human beings and help people.

Seconded, thirded, fourthed, and so on unto infinity. It's the ugly issue that nobody talks about, because it's easier to ban firearms than it is to act like fucking human beings and help people.
    No one in power wants to actually ban firearms. they just want to wave around the idea to get their voters to the polls. Ditto on the pro gun fellows.

Could we use better gun registration and enforcement? Yes.
    Do we need to get rid of all firearms? No.
    Is anyone willing to engage in a real dialog without serious ulterior motives? Hell no.

• More information - apparently, the shooter is thought to have been a parent of a child at the school, and he not only had firearms, but a crossbow along with 80-100 bolts.
  • Is anyone willing to engage in a real dialog without serious ulterior motives? Hell no.
    What possible ulterior motive would pro-regulation people have?

• What law or regulation can be created to stop crazy people fron illegally acquiring a gun?
  • Hoping he was not into D&D and video games.
  • What law or regulation can be created to stop crazy people fron illegally acquiring a gun?
    Wanna take a bet this guy bought all the guns legally?
    National registration to track where illegal guns from from. They tend to come from originally legal channels, then drop off the radar.

• Some as of yet unconfirmed reports are saying that the shooter is from NJ.

Also relevant, in light of the coverage we're going to see in the near future.

• edited December 2012
    Oh gees it wasn't him if that's true I found his facebook page.. He likes Mass effect d'oh.

Wasn't sure but this guy says he's from Newtown CT and lives in NJ... soo..

Apparently the media can search facebook as fast as I can.... watching articles spring up asking whether that his facebook account, wouldn't it suck if you shared the same name and home town as someone who did something like this.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • I think you all know my opinion but ill articulate as best I can. I don't think the argument that guns make it easier to kill holds water. If a man wants to kill someone then they'll find a way. It isn't any harder to subdue a gunman as it is a man with a knife, and may be easier as you have less chance of being hurt grabbing a gun (not zero chance, I know). It is just a combination of fear and the bystander effect. Stricter gun laws would not have stopped this man in my opinion, and if he showed no previous sign of mental deficiency what would have stricter gun laws accomplish if he had been allowed to own one?
  • I think you all know my opinion but ill articulate as best I can. I don't think the argument that guns make it easier to kill holds water...
    Are you on crack? Guns don't make it easier to kill? That's their whole purpose. If they didn't make it easier to kill, we'd still be using bows and arrows.
  • I have no idea what you're going on about, Jack.

You can outrun a guy with a gun and he can still kill you. You can outrun a guy with a knife and he's out of luck.

Police having a shootout with a gunman can involve dead police. Police having a shootout with a guy with a knife will result only in a dead gunman.

If a guy only wants to kill one person, they have many options. If they want to kill 27 people, it's gonna be a lot harder to do so without a gun.
  • edited December 2012
    Is anyone willing to engage in a real dialog without serious ulterior motives? Hell no.
    What possible ulterior motive would pro-regulation people have?
    Outside of the banner waving for voter support I mentioned in my last post? One could also use the regulations to farm income. There's also the faction who wants to see all firearms eliminated who may try to coopt the regulations to meet that goal rather than establishing a reasonable compromise.

I'm not saying that folks like you or me wont talk about this in good faith. I just doubt any politicians will.

Edit: Yes, I realize that extremists trying to coopt the regulations can be applied to both sides. It's still worth considering.
    Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • I think you all know my opinion but ill articulate as best I can. I don't think the argument that guns make it easier to kill holds water...
    Are you on crack? Guns don't make it easier to kill? That's their whole purpose. If they didn't make it easier to kill, we'd still be using bows and arrows.
    A rephrasing perhaps, I don't believe the argument for why guns should be banned/regulated up the ass because they make killing easier holds water. Because "oh I want to go on a killing spree, but I can't get a gun," was said by no one ever.