This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Guns!

Comments

• edited August 2012
    [Herp de Derp]
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited August 2012
    Or you know, increase training requirements. From my understanding of the situation, most of the casualties were due to ricochets and fragmentation. Watching the video, it seems that the officers really just sort of stumbled upon the perp in a busy area and had to react to a hostile action. They should have known better.

I'd also be curious to know whether they were using hollowpoints or FMJ.
    This. Don't blame the equipment, blame the person. Most boy scouts here have better firearms training that those cops it seems like.
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • I need this gun, but right now I can only find ones in Ohio for $800+.
  • I really like the idea of that gun but man it is one ugly fucker. Do you want it as a survival rifle or just as a collectors item? If you just want that style rifle you might want to look at something like the Savage model 42. image Its still not cheap at around $400-$500 but it's still better.

If you are really on a budget you could always get a matched pair 22lr/.410 for like $160 though the extra barrel would add some weight.

A cheap single shot with a .22lr adapter might get the job done too.
  • Saw a S&W 22A on consignment for $250. Might go pick it up Monday.
  • edited November 2012
    I really like the idea of that gun but man it is one ugly fucker. Do you want it as a survival rifle or just as a collectors item? If you just want that style rifle you might want to look at something like the Savage model 42.
    A survival weapon, though I think I'm going to get the Henry AR7.

Also, I really like the minimalist survival styling on the M6 Scout. It's very post-apocalyptic.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Saw a S&W 22A on consignment for $250. Might go pick it up Monday.
    My dad picked one up last spring. It shoots pretty well and seems fairly accurate. Trigger pull seemed pretty light from what I remember. It didn't seem to like the federal ammo though last time we tried it.
    I really like the idea of that gun but man it is one ugly fucker. Do you want it as a survival rifle or just as a collectors item? If you just want that style rifle you might want to look at something like the Savage model 42.
    A survival weapon, though I think I'm going to get the Henry AR7.

Also, I really like the minimalist survival styling on the M6 Scout. It's very post-apocalyptic.
    I love the idea of the AR-7, but I just don't know if I would trust a semi-auto out in the woods if my life really depended on it. And be careful with what AR-7 you pick up because there for a while they were pretty shitty so I'd probably just get a new one to be safe. I still think a cut-down .410 shotgun with a .22lr adapter would be a good option.
  • edited November 2012
    Sorry for the double post but oh well. We've gotten quite a few new guns in my household recently. A local gun dealer got raided by the ATF not too long ago, so they transferred a bunch of their parts guns over to my dad's gunsmith friend right before it happened since they knew they wouldn't get anything out of them afterwards. He just ended up selling them all for $20 a piece so my dad picked up a few.
    (note, none of these are pictures I took, they're just random ones I found online)

He got a remington viper .22. The thing looks practically new, but it keeps failing to eject and whatnot. For what he paid, hopefully he can make a buck on it. image

Also picked up a nice Mossberg 352. Still waiting to get a mag for it but its in great condition. I just think the foregrip is sweet, especially for a 50's gun.image

Of course we have the hi-point 9mm carbine for $37 total. Ugly as it is, the thing runs like a champ. Last time I was home I shot a few mags of cheap steel-case ammo through it and had no issues at all. image

He bought me an old Mossberg 190 16 gauge bolt action shotgun. Haven't shot it yet since I'm still waiting to get the mag and replacement extractor but its in great condition. image

They auctioned off all of the stores stock, but most of the stuff went for more than retail. He did manage to pick up a Mauser for $150 though so that was a pretty good deal.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • Of course we have the hi-point 9mm carbine for $37 total. Ugly as it is, the thing runs like a champ. Last time I was home I shot a few mags of cheap steel-case ammo through it and had no issues at all.
    The other thing about it if it wasn't running well - tell Hi-point. They take customer service very seriously, to an almost ludicrous degree, and they don't give a fuck if you bought it second hand - as far as they're concerned, if you're shooting a hi-point, they've got your back.

• The gun shop actually sold my beat ass Beretta 92G, took less than a week. Was not expecting that so quickly.
  • Of course we have the hi-point 9mm carbine for $37 total. Ugly as it is, the thing runs like a champ. Last time I was home I shot a few mags of cheap steel-case ammo through it and had no issues at all.
    The other thing about it if it wasn't running well - tell Hi-point. They take customer service very seriously, to an almost ludicrous degree, and they don't give a fuck if you bought it second hand - as far as they're concerned, if you're shooting a hi-point, they've got your back.

Oh yeah they're great. Thats one reaons he got it since even if it didn't work they would fix it for free. It was missing the charging handle and they sent him one for free. I remember hearing a story about a guy that found one in a dumpster, told them he did and sent it in amd got a brand new one back.

• edited November 2012
    So I never talked about it here, but I assembled my AR15 with a new barrel. A 14.5" with a pinned flash suppressor for the legal 16". It has a mid-length gas system. I assembled it with a rifle length stock and buffer. At the range I had a lot of problems with it. It seemed to cycle fine with the hot 5.56 NATO loads I had, but when I switched to russian steel .223 it had all kinds of problems. The first round felt so light in recoil in comparison that I thought I'd had a dud round. I got a whole bunch of failures to feed and failures to eject. I think the rifle was short stroking slightly because the cases weren't getting out, but it was still stripping a new round off. I think the timing is off on the rifle. Not enough gas pressure to cycle bolt carrier group with lighter loads. The solutions are many and varied. 1) A shorter gas tube would solve it, but that requires a barrel change. 2) A larger gas port would also solve it, but that may be technically impossible given the way the barrel is pinned. 3) A lighter spring might work. 4) A lighter recoil buffer might work, but I'd have to convert to a carbine length stock. Been meaning to do that anyway so that's probably what I'll do.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I love how to get a legal SBR you're literally just bribing the government. "Oh you want a shorter barrel? Have fun in prison...unlessss you give us $200"
  • edited November 2012
    I love how to get a legal SBR you're literally just bribing the government. "Oh you want a shorter barrel? Have fun in prison...unlessss you give us $200"
    Yeah, it's not like they investigate your request and keep a detailed registry of the devices in question or anything.

Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • edited November 2012
    EDIT: Ninja'd

Well you also have to fill out a lot of paperwork, so they know you have one. The gov't has no idea that I have a carbine AR15 cause I built it out of parts. And 16" overall is still pretty short, it's basically the same size an M4 by about half an inch. With a collapsible stock it would vanish under a long coat.
  • EDIT: Ninja'd

Well you also have to fill out a lot of paperwork, so they know you have one. The gov't has no idea that I have a carbine AR15 cause I built it out of parts. And 16" overall is still pretty short, it's basically the same size an M4 by about half an inch. With a collapsible stock it would vanish under a long coat.
    You mean 16" barrel right?
  • EDIT: Ninja'd

You mean 16" barrel right?
    Yes, a 16" overall barrel length. The barrel is technically only 14.5", but with the permanently attached flash suppressor it's 16"+. The gun is just under 31" with the collapsible stock. It's not very big.
  • This summer I'd like to get a 10/22 and put a folding stock on it, but in Michigan anything under 30" has to be registered as a pistol, so what barrel length should I get so that I don't have to?
  • Whatever gives you the correct overall length. I don't know anything about the 10/22.
  • edited November 2012
    There are about 6 different models of the 10/22 and about 100 different manufacturers of those stocks. So it depends on which model and stock you purchase.

A 20 in barrel on the target model of 10/22 would give you an overall length of 38.5 inches with a length of pull of 13.75 inches as sold. that means your looking at 24.75 inches between the trigger and the end of the barrel. I would think that the remaining potion of the receiver and the mount of the stock would take up the last 5.25 inches.
    Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • Well I was looking at the butler creek stock just because I've seen lots of people with it online, and its fairly cheap. Hopefully it would be long enough when folded.
  • edited November 2012
    There's a suppressor ban in Illinois, and all I really want is a suppressed P226. T_T

EDIT: My friend's dad is a cop, though, so I can practice with a suppressed Glock 21.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • My dad's friend makes a lot of suppressors, but I don't think I could justify that kind of money even if I had it.
  • It occurs to me that, for the same money as a P226, I could probably just buy a Browning "Way Too Much" Hi-Power.
  • edited November 2012
    Or for half that a used Glock "lotta bang for your buck" 17.

EDIT: A Sig Sauer is a NICE gun, but you pay for it. I enjoyed the one I shot, but I prefer the "same pull, every pull" trigger of my Glock.
  • Got a new shotgun. Pretty beat old Brazilian single shot 12 gauge, but my dad picked it up for $20 and everything seems intact. Plus I won't have to worry about banging it up in the woods like I will with that nice 16 gauge.

Also, a guy I know asked if I had any old video games I'd sell him, and I'm sure I've got a couple doubles of consoles I could part with. I asked if he's got any rifles or anything he might trade instead and he said he probably has a couple he never uses so we'll see what hes got in the next couple of days.
  • Glorious Motherland approves of the comrade's Soviet Ingenuity.
  • Note to self: next time I need to insult someone without making a scene, say they have "Soviet ingenuity."

He does make a good point: outshooting someone with a $2 shovel would be hillarious.